Author Topic: Cortisone shot?  (Read 3060 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
Anyone ever get one in the back?

I have a torn disk in L4/L5, and Friday is the first of three.

I don't like needles.  Nevermind rolling over and having one jabbed in my spine.

Any thoughts for this wussy?
One day at a time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:37 AM »
Just relax as much as possible when they are sticking you will the needle.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
Well, I've never had one in my spine, but i had to have one in my shoulder due to bursitis/tendonitis.  They shot it with "hurricane spray" which essentially was a numbing spray that was also *INCREDIBLY* cold.  It numbed not only the surface of the skin, but fairly deep into the tissue as well (due to the cold).  It was uncomfortable, but not hugely painful.

If they're doing a shot into the disk, i have to imagine that they can take the time to numb you up a little bit....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:34:20 AM »
Yup, I'll be numb.

It's funny though, it's not the pain that scares me, it's the bloody needle!!!

The pain I'm in now is driving me insane, so I don't care about the pain of the injection, it's the thought that "Hi Mr. Ex.  Why don't you roll over so I can put this needle into your spine?  Have a nice day".
One day at a time.

Car Knocker

• friend
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »
I went through a (sort of) similar process several years ago when I had a problem with a lumbar nerve root.  There wasn't any pain until they got to the nerve root - which, of course, is different from your situation - just a sensation of finger pressure from the doctor at the entry site.  Based on my experience with a series of these injections, the more you can relax, the easier the procedure is.
Don

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 11:15:59 AM »
I had the shot to the spine back in 2003. I really wasn't bad.

The doc numbed the area first, so I didn't feel the needle at all.

However, when the cortisone hit the nerves, my right leg felt like it was on fire. The leg just reflexively shot up in the air.

The doctor said, "don't move!" I just said it wasn't me, it was the nerves.

Don't worry about it, ex-ma hole.

One bit of advice, though: make sure you eat something before you go. I hadn't eaten, and I was very woozy and dizzy afterwards.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »
What if I'm woozy and dizzy now?

Joking.

Thanks for all the advice.  I think that it's time to grow up and get over my needle-phobia, no?
One day at a time.

grampster

• friend
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
I heard that those needles are about as big around as a straw you drink a malted milk with.  Also the tip is square.

Just Kiddin'
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 11:49:12 AM »
You know, I was just starting to like you, too.

And now this.

sigh.

My old GP (before I moved) knew the routine.  EVERY shot/ injection/ blood drawing we did, he would tell me that it was a pediatric needle.  He and I knew it wasn't. but he still played my dumb games.
One day at a time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 11:58:39 AM »
Run away.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Run away.
Thank you.  Now that's some practical, adult advice.

Thank you.
One day at a time.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 12:01:22 PM »
I had the old spinal anastetic done while I was in for my busted hoof.  Was supposed to numb my lower extremities.

Well, three needles later, they still hadn't stuck me in the right area.  Bent them all on my bone or ligaments.  "Tough ligaments," they said.  "Bottom half of the class," I muttered under my breath.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
I'd be too afraid of spewing to eat anything.
Oh well.
Don't die!
grin
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 03:35:27 PM »
Quote from: mbs357
Don't die!
grin
Now THAT, my friend's, is practical advice.

Thanks!!!

Keep the ideas coming...worst case, I'm laughing while on the table!!!
One day at a time.

Stand_watie

• friend
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »
I had a spinal tap done when I was 12. Don't know if that's similar or not. Two needles, one to numb and one to draw out the fluid. It didn't hurt that much.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 06:48:10 PM »
Next time I'm going to have something serious done to my body, remind me not to tell you folks. Wink

ex-ma hole, the shot is a walk in the park. Nothing.

It is an intrusive procedure, though, so you need to make sure you've eaten. (Didn't I say that before?)

Before the shot, I'd already had all the MRI's, etc. So the doc knew just where to go.

I must say, this doc was the greatest. He spent about half an hour with me, testing reflexes, pinching my toes to make sure that all the other doc's had indeed diagnosed the problem properly, etc.

Just make sure you have someone to drive you home; you may feel like Superman after the shot, or you may be just barely safe to drive.

And make sure you take it easy that day. And the day after. Heck, I even milked it to where my wife brought me dinner in bed!

You'll be fine.

And they don't even let you see the needle, although I asked to see it afterwards. It's not thick, just a little longer than you're probably used to seeing.

The best part is the nurses. They have one stay on with you to make sure you're ok. The one I had stay with me was awful cute. Wink

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »
It's not so bad. I used to work in a pain management clinic and the anesthetics they use are nice. I also used to get injections of marcaine/xylocaine and cortisone directoy into my joint capsules in both hips, knees, and shoulder for bursitis and arthritis several times a year.  Honestly, as soon as the needle goes in and they start delivering the goodies the pain and even the discomfort of the needle goes away...immediately.

Enjoy the ride. It's not a buzz...it's deliverance.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 07:53:14 PM »
Quote from: ex-ma hole
Quote from: mbs357
Don't die!
grin
Now THAT, my friend's, is practical advice.

Thanks!!!

Keep the ideas coming...worst case, I'm laughing while on the table!!!
Yea, maybe that was a little innapropriate...it's just that I'm running out of old people to annoy. Wink

I'm a bad person. Cheesy
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Leatherneck

• friend
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 03:15:40 AM »
I had three for a ruptured disc at L3-L4 six years ago. They didn't hurt, nor did they help. Surgery pretty much fixed the leg pain.

I had another six months ago, and the state of the art had improved. This latest one was done with real-time guidance via MRI. The doc could see exactly where the needle was going, and he got it just right. Cured a slight drop-foot that had developed.

You'll be fine if he doesn't slip and paralyze you.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »
Quote from: Leatherneck
You'll be fine if he doesn't slip and paralyze you.TC
Dont't Die?
Run away?
Now this.

Thanks ya'll.

(Yes, I denote the sarcasm, yes, I'm laughing)

I met with the Dr. this morning.  Cool sh!t.  I like him, a lot.  Made me feel a lot better.  Especially when he said that he would give me some "stuff" to make me happy.  Also that the whole procedure takes about five minutes.
One day at a time.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 07:16:43 AM »
happy 'stuff' is always happy.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:55 AM »
Yup.  Especially when he tells me to go home when it's done and take it easy.  No bending or lifting.  Walk as much as I can, then lie down when I get tired.

An entire day of resting, being able to do NOTHING but relax, plus Valium and pain killers = a really flippin' good day to me!!!

For the first time, my wife HAS to wait on me hand and foot.  He-he-he /maniacal laugh
One day at a time.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 09:04:05 AM »
never had one...I.....dislike needles (and yes that is the understatment of the century)

The last one I had was an IV after I told them I don't like needles cause the MRI and other imaging stuff that day was going to take three different stuffs shot in me.

Yeah that went well....the nurse about fainted herself and though the vein in my neck was going to pop out of me.  That was the first IV I had in me since the age of six and that one took three male hospital guys to hold me still and I still broke three needles when they were trying to stick me.

So no, I don't like needles.  Least my mother always knew her son wouldn't turn out to be a junkie heh.

Oh BTW for my advice don't piss the dr off first.  People who are about to have total control of you, sharp objects, and where those objects go are best left happy people and not pissed off ones.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Cortisone shot?
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »
I actually passed out from getting blood drawn in college.  It took 3 tiny nurses to pick me up after I hit the floor.  Smelling salts under the nose, the whole nine.  I was BARELY conscious (eyes still closed), someone asked "Can we get you anything" and I replied "Chinese Food ".  They were laughing so hard, they dropped me again!!!

(PS- It's pretty bad that even after being knocked out, I STILL think about food!)
One day at a time.