Author Topic: Bouncy bouncy stock market...  (Read 5081 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Bouncy bouncy stock market...
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:41:19 AM »
Wow. DJA opens 400 down, rises to 49 down, then drops to almost 200 down in the space of a few minutes, recovers about 50, drops to 200 down again in a minute or so...

If I wanted to buy right now, it might be stock in the makers of Tums.  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Bouncy bouncy stock market...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:45:55 AM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on the short list of stocks that I'm going to be buying in the next day or two.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:48:43 AM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on the short list of stocks that I'm going to be buying in the next day or two.

Why buy on the way down?  The next 'day or two' may be a long way from the bottom.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:56:20 AM »
Looks like the people who did best this morning were those with a fast internet connection and instant trade execution...and who didn't even dare get up to run to the bathroom with a position open. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »
"Why buy on the way down?  The next 'day or two' may be a long way from the bottom."

Operative word...

MAY

Prices MAY stabilize and start going up tomorrow.

Skynet MAY come online and kill us all.

If I could see the frigging future do you think I'd be putting together a list of what's currently a good buy?

Trading in the markets is all about what you're willing to pay for a particular stock, and what you believe it's worth.

It is never, however, a sure thing.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:20:17 AM »
Foreign currency exchanges, too.  I watched the dollar grow against the Czeck kronua about 5% yesterday, only to have dropped and restarted its growth again this morning.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Paddy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
More phoney baloney antics from the money manipulators. Federal Reserve makes emergency rate cut

Encouraging even more debt will only exacerbate the problem.   I'm glad I (mostly) got out when I did, although this rampaging inflation and the failing dollar will gobble up my liquidity, too.  I need a hedge. Gold? Silver?  Euros?  What?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
I'm holding on to the people who stay in always do the best when things come back theory. If I had some uninvested money hanging around I'm sure I'd probably buy some stuff myself. But I don't...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
Since January 1st, my retirement plan has lost $ 40,000.   shocked

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

jnojr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »

You mean, you've cashed it in?

You only "lose" when you sell.  Your contributions now are buying more shares for later.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »

You only "lose" when you sell.  Your contributions now are buying more shares for later.

I wish more people thought that way.

I always think, price goes down I can buy more shares, more shares means more dividens. 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:02:06 AM »
Yay!

Down, down, down you go.  I can hardly wait to write that big, fat SEP check on Friday! grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
I'll help you look for it if I can have half!  grin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:54:59 AM »
Deleted for strange double post

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:55 AM »

Back in the dot com implosion and subsequent recession in the first quarter of 2001, my retirement plan value went from about $ 310,000 to $ 165,000 without me selling a single share of the balanced funds in which I had invested.  I still had the same number of shares, the value per share dropped significantly.  It took me five years for my plan value to recover to that level by continuing my usual monthly contribution, employer matching and reinvestment of dividends.  10% of my pre-tax income and 3% employer matching goes into my account every year.   So, yes, I consider drops in value as a loss, since if I cashed in my plan at that particular time, there is somewhat of a difference between $ 310,000 and $ 165,000. 

It all goes to timing of when you cash in or start to draw from your plan.  If the market is tanking at the time, those aren't just paper losses.  They are very real.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »

I wish I were out that little...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 01:39:15 PM »
I'm with Mike. By the time the mainstream news decides that the, "market is at its bottom", it's past bottom and heading up. I've been padding my stock portfolio for the last couple of weeks.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 01:53:22 PM »
I'm toying around with hitting the buy button myself.  I have some money in a money market account related in my 401k from funds I sold back in June. I've spent part of it last month and I'm probably going to spend more tonight/tomorrow depending upon how the market is before 11am CST.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow brings. All in all my stuff didn't get hit too bad today but my overseas stuff got hammered. ~ 4% across the board on it. But yes, all mine pays dividends so when the price is down and the dividends come in you just get more shares for your money than you do when it's up, so you're really kind of hedged against these downturns.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »
I should buy stocks.
Buying stock in instant noodles would be great.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 08:40:27 PM »

Why buy on the way down?  The next 'day or two' may be a long way from the bottom.
You buy when everyone else is trying to sell. 

Couple hundred points right now won't matter a hill of beans in 10 years.  Dollar cost average your purchases when the market is headed downhill, keep buying when it turns around and heads back up. 

Far smarter than trying to chase the returns uphill.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
More phoney baloney antics from the money manipulators. Federal Reserve makes emergency rate cut

Encouraging even more debt will only exacerbate the problem.   I'm glad I (mostly) got out when I did, although this rampaging inflation and the failing dollar will gobble up my liquidity, too.  I need a hedge. Gold? Silver?  Euros?  What?
Buy gold, ye sucker.  It's a sure thing!  Inflation!  Oil!  Uncertain times!  Never been worth zero!

Tongue

(Don't come whining for my tax dollars to support yourself in retirement after you lose your shirt in the markets.)

Paddy

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »

Buy gold, ye sucker.  It's a sure thing!  Inflation!  Oil!  Uncertain times!  Never been worth zero!

Tongue

(Don't come whining for my tax dollars to support yourself in retirement after you lose your shirt in the markets.)

I've got some bad news for you. You'll continue paying taxes for the rest of your life  (and no doubt whining about it as long) regardless of my particular fortune or lack thereof. 

And if you're referring to MY Social Security benefits (the same Social Security I've been paying for the last 40 years), those benefits aren't reduced by investment income.  Only by earned income.  So unless I go to work at Walmart (How may I help you?) or something, I get all my money.  laugh

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
Wow, I can just see Riley working for Wallyworld as the howdy man......

Welcome to WalMart! Bush sucks! grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 06:25:46 PM »
Wow, I can just see Riley working for Wallyworld as the howdy man......

Welcome to WalMart! Bush sucks! grin

That is about the funniest thing I read today!

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.