Author Topic: Is there anti-semitism in the south still?  (Read 5093 times)

The Annoyed Man

Is there anti-semitism in the south still?
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:06:55 PM »
As I mentioned on THR, I got accepted the other day at American University's law school.  Today I got accepted at Case Western's law school.

Unfortunately, it's so late in the game, that I've decided to just take another year off and work, and reapply to law schools.

A couple schools I am going to apply to are in the south though.  Vaderbilt, Emory, and Tulane to name the few that come to mind.

I was wondering though, is there still a fair amount of anti-semitism in the south, or would it be safe for me to consider living there?

My father tells me that when he went to undergrad in the south, there was a lot of it, but that was 35-40 years ago.  I was wondering if it's since passed?

I'll be applying to schools elsewhere too, I am just curious as I'd hate to move there and then find out all of a sudden that my neighbors are KKK or something.  A friend just moved to Tennessee and one of his neighbors is KKK.  It made me wonder.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Is there anti-semitism in the south still?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
If I had to be totally honest, and I don't say this to be humorous: People have probably found new people/things to hate since your father's time. Hate is a strange beast.

If they give you any trouble, though, I'll go get my rifle and we'll run them out of town together.

EDIT: Not intended in any way to suggest that it doesn't exist here in the South. Certainly, it is much less popular.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »
You don't have to go to the South to find KKK.  We've had those sheet-wearing pinheads here in PA for a long, long time; the 1920's at least.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:53 PM »
Well, I didn't see any in law school, but I went to Chicago-Kent. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:28:19 PM »
There'd be no law school due to a lack of students if anti-semitism presented a realistic risk of injury/death in any of these places.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
Anti-semitism is deeply imbedded in American culture, doncha know? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lacoochee

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »
Anti-semitism has never really been a very Southern thing there have always been large jewish communities in the South in Charleston and Atlanta who were always treated well and respected.  The KKK dabbled in it but not much they had other fish to fry so to speak and they haven't been a real force in the South since the 1920's.  There are groups like neo-nazi's, aryans, etc. that love to hate jews and everyone else for that matter but you tend to run into them in the mid-west and western mountain states also in very small numbers. 

You are more likely to run into anti-semitism dressed as anti-zionism/Israel etc. on campus, than you are from the surrounding communities that you have mentioned.  In fact, some of the worst hate speech I have heard in years has been on campus.   Funny thing is that in the 1920's and 30's anti-semitism was also very chic in intellectual circles, funny how history continues to repeat itself.
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »
Plenty Jews (and Mormons, Hindus, etc) at the small Baptist college I attended in NC.  Didn't notice any anti-semitism against the Jewish students I knew.  Some mild bias against the Mormons, but nothing serious (typical Baptist "we gotta save these people" sort of thing).

I think you'll be safe. Wink

Chris

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
My last girlfriend was Hebrew. Not even in the heart of Mississippi. I have several Jewish friends and there is a local synagogue that is quite active in the community. My Jewish cousins in Chicago get more anti-antisemitism than anyone I know here. Might be a few stereotypes floating around...references to Jews having a bag of gold and other nonsense, but most of that came from Southpark and Borat instead of a deep hatred. 
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
Anti-semitism exists everywhere . . . think of Chicago icon Jesse Jackson and his "Hymietown" comments.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
You'll be fine down here...

The South is a beautiful place in many areas (well, except Atlanta)...

The KKK is pretty much a laughingstock nowadays. You do have guns, right? KKK won't bother you in that case for sure...

Finding a synagogue might be a bit difficult, however...they tend to exist in the somewhat larger cities in many cases. For example, my town doesn't have one (we also only have one Catholic church), but we have plenty of Baptist, Protestant, Church of God, Methodist, etc. churches.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:39 PM »
Here in Texas, we give them a real hard time by insisting they run for governor & all that:

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Friedman

Vote for Kinky: Why the Hell not?
In 2004, Friedman began a serious, though colorful, campaign to become the Governor of Texas in 2006. One of his stated goals is the "dewussification" of Texas[12] Among his campaign slogans are "How Hard Could It Be?", "Why The Hell Not?", "My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy" and "He ain't Kinky, he's my Governor".[13]

Friedman had hoped to follow in the footsteps of other entertainers-turned-governors, including Jimmie Davis, Jesse Ventura, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Ronald Reagan. When the campaign finance reports came out after the second quarter had ended, Friedman had raised more funds than the Democratic nominee, former Congressman Chris Bell.

OK, more seriously, I am sure there are stereotypical, traditional, white, protestant anti-semites in the South.  Most keep their heads down, nowadays. 

Quite a bit of the South is populated by fundie/evangelical types who take their Bible seriously, even all that Old Testament stuff about God's chosen people.  Toss in a pre-millenarian eschatology, and you have folks who read about the enemies of the Jews being destroyed throughout the Bible, while the Jews keep on keepin' on...who also believe the Jews have a role to play in the end times. 

Also, there is some sympathy for Jews who take their religion seriously, as many folks in the South do...and are also the target of abuse by those who dislike them for their religion.

The most likely place to find no-bull anti-semitism in the South is on campus and other liberal enclaves.  It will be openly expressed by far-leftists, pro-militant-Islamists, and some Muslims.  But, that's not confined to the South, now, is it?

FWIW, I have lived in some of the larger cities: Atlanta, DFW, Little Rock as well as some smaller BFE-ish places.  You'll definitely find more synagogues in the larger towns.  Here in north Dallas & the 'burbs north of it (Richardson, Plano), they are relatively thick, judging by the number & size and the Judaica stores.

To best gauge what sort of anti-semitism you'll encounter, pay especial attention to the particular campus's lefty/muslim organizations and their size.  The anti-semitism you'll see off campus by Sons of the South will be in the noise, relative to that.

Good luck on your hunt.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:28:34 PM »

To best gauge what sort of anti-semitism you'll encounter, pay especial attention to the particular campus's lefty/muslim organizations and their size.  The anti-semitism you'll see off campus by Sons of the South will be in the noise, relative to that.

Good luck on your hunt.

Having spent a fair amount of time on college campuses and with Muslims, I have to say that this is totally unwarranted.  You find anti-semitism with south asian and arab immigrants. 

I've never seen a single leftist event/organization on a campus that dealt in or tolerated anti-semitism.  (That of course doesn't mean I agree with their views on communism or whatever their special leftist cause happens to be).  But actual anti-semitic beliefs, statements, or agendas? Never seen nor heard of it.

I think this picture of colleges and leftists is the product of an ideological commitment to the belief that any and all criticism of Israel is anti-semitic.  There are indeed many leftist organizations that criticize Israel heavily (including Israeli leftist organizations) and who express solidarity with the Palestinians, but for the most part they do so in the name of opposing any and all militarism. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:36:48 AM »
It's not antisemitism here in the South.  God hates everybody in the South - leastwise if you go by the climate in the summertime.

My vote against AU is based on location.  When the 13 individual States were faced with the necessity of dealing with a central government they went looking for a spot where that central government could be put to do the least damage to the country.  Basic requirements were high heat, high humidity, bad water, bad air, and as many diseases as could be crammed into each hectare.  The "winner" of the search contest was 10 square miles split between Maryland and Virginia.

It was not until the invention of central cooling/air conditioning that the central government got out of control.  Prior to then, the heat, humidity, etc. would drive politicians and civil servants out from May till October.  The vestiges of that can be seen in the SCOTUS yearly schedule - smart folks, those Justices.

Go find a law school located where you do not have to slice off and wring out each breath of air.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:08 AM »
The south has a bad rep.  At one time things were ugly.  Since the advent of the 20 th century the south has pretty much cleaned up its act.  The really ugly stuff in the 60's and 70's happened outside the south.  If I were you I'd worry more about the location of your good-ol'-boy network as a result of graduating law school.  Figure where you want to live and work backwards. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 04:25:13 AM »
I agree with the above.  Look at the job hunting network the school offers most of all. 

I knew people who were prejudiced in my small home town, but I can't remember anyone who mentioned Jews.  And all of them were more of the live and let live type.  They kept it to themselves.  I know a couple of those guys' kids aren't prejudiced at all so things change.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
If I were you I'd worry more about the location of your good-ol'-boy network as a result of graduating law school.  Figure where you want to live and work backwards.

That's exactly what I'm doing.  The problem is that I have yet to decide where I want to live.

MagnumDweeb

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 08:31:59 AM »
I'm a Southern Jew, not to be confused with Northern Jew a.k.a. sometimes Yankee Jew. Been a Floridian all my life and more than a few of my friends think I'm a crazy redneck. Also I'm a Law School student, get ready because that first year is a heck of a ride with nonstop stress and worry but if you're smart enough to take your paranoid studying serious it pays off.

I only know a couple of fellow Southern Jews, I don't along too well from Jews who aren't from South or aren't truly southern, a lot of Boca Raton types. I always get that strange look and anxiety riddled question "Your'e Jewish?!" and I just smile real big. Don't help much I suppose because I'm an ardent Jefferson-Republican type so most figure I'll be a Baptist or such. Most anti-semitism I've ever faced was on a local university campus with all those suppossed enlightened typers where you had a lot of pro-European pro-Middle East types that were largely liberals, fools, and commies, generally all three as I saw/see it. Most locals don't bother with the whole 'Jew Thing' they don't get it or understand it generally and usually just shrug their shoulders and move on. Sometimes you get some odd yankee or northerner who asks "why don't Jews believe in Jesus" and you're in for a headache. There's the occassional southernner who does the whole anti-semitism bit but they are either real rare or real quite. Jewish guys actually do real well with the ladies around here oddly enough, Lord knows I've enjoyed the company of a few red-headed baptist women.

Most genuine Southernners only real care about, do you speak English well (regardless of ethnicity), do you believe in the 2nd Amendment (also do you like to shoot, but that's generally a recreational matter), and do you have a job and not burden the welfare system. Mind you that's genuine Southernners and there's a lot of Yankees, residents of northern descent, Northernners, the Europeans I've been meeting are pretty good folk and a joy to have as an addition to our great country.

So if you make it South my only words of wisdom are, don't talk about how much better the North is, we tend to get agitated about that because as we in the South see it, that's far from true. And don't think or say all us Southernners are moonshine-drinking, Confederate Flag waving, Nascar watching types. I wave both American flags and am too impatient to enjoy Nascar.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
Florida even has its own jewish sect: the Orange Jews Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
Tallpine,

sigh...
One day at a time.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 10:14:34 AM »
MagnumDweeb,

Welcome to our little corner of the internet....you seem like you will fit in fine here.

Mark
One day at a time.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »
you seem like you will fit in fine here.

But he's one of THEM!   smiley 

MagnumDweed, this site is southern owned and operated.  You'll get your sheet and hood in the mail.   angel
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JWarren

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
I'll chime in.  I do most of my posting on THR, so please forgive my low post-count here.  I do check here often, however.

OK....  I'll give the view that I've seen basically as matter-of-factly as I can as one who grew up in South Missisissippi.

Anti-semitism in the South?  That's a new one on me.

Typically, people have to have some exposure to a group before they decide to have a like or dislike for them.  In the case of the South (Excluding some areas like South Florida and Orlando), there really isn't a strong Jewish presence.  In fact, I can say that I probably never met a Jewish person until I moved away for my career (I am back in MS now.)

I heard people talk about anti-semitism all my life.  And I never could figure it out.  I was getting conflicting views on the subject.   While I hear that anti-semitism has occured (I mean come on-- we all know about Hitler) but at the same we would hear in Church comments that have a sprirtual kinship with Jewish persons.

Overall, I have seen that "Church" position as a prevailing viewpoint in most Southerners I've met.  That is a far cry from anti-semitism.  In fact, most of the comments that I have heard over my life in the South has been extremely PRO-semitism-- especially in the terms of the nation of Israel.

Me?  I am neither pro-semitic or anti-semitic.  Both notions are absurd to me.  I've yet to meet a Jewish person who-- when asked-- would tell me that they are "Pro-John" or "Anti-John."  I am pro-Israel as far as I would be for any committed ally of the USA.  And that stops at the point that I recognize that they are a foreign nation who-- as I would expect-- places THEIR nation's interest above any others-- including mine.

In short, I think that the whole notion of Pro or Anti Semitic is a question asked and answered in places other than the South.  We frankly just don't care about it one way or the other on an individual basis, and we support allies of the USA or spirtual kin on a broader basis.

So, respectfully .cheese, don't worry too much about it.

-- John

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 02:06:19 PM »
You know, they don't make Jews like Jesus anymore...

Yup. I'm a fan of Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys... One of the rockin'est bands to play -both- kinds of music in the southwest. and the west. and the south. and places like Florida.

I actually wouldn't worry about much discrimination in the south, as compared with what I've seen in the midwest and the north, regardless. And I used to live next to a neighborhood where everyone wore funny hats and walked to church... or whatever it's called... I personally think that one got started by a Jewish shoe salesman... "Gee, Benjamin, don't you think we'd sell a lot more shoes if we could people to walk more, and wear them out?"

Unless you look like one a them ay-rabs... Huntin' season is still on in the south...

Blog under construction

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 02:13:15 PM »
born and bred in virginia and i've never seen anything. my dad grew up in northern va and actually had a couple jewish girlfriends (including the infamouse wendy, whom he still talks about, awhhhhhh)

anyway, i know its not as far south as your talking, but i really doubt that getting even a strange look is something to be worried about.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds