Author Topic: Aspartame  (Read 5074 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Aspartame
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »
I've heard off comments about aspartame since, pretty much forever.  "That'll make you glow in the dark!", etc.

This was brought to my attention again today, when my roommate called it "liquid poison" and "heavily correlated with a large number of cancers"

So I started doing some digging.  Found some good info on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

It seems to be very clear that aspartame is safe and has been studied long enough and in depth enough to establish that with good certainty.

The National Cancer Institute notes “There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans.” (from http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners )

So, am I missing something, or are these anti-artificial-sweetener people totally incorrect?

brimic

• friends
Re: Aspartame
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
A lot of these things get blown out of proportion by the media, self-righteous politicians, and overprotective soccer mommies.

Aspartame has been thought to cause all kinds of ailments for decades, but no link has ever been produced.
Baked goods are supposed to cause cancer because of tiny amounts of acetonitrile produced by heating flour.
BPA is supposed to cause reproductive harm based on some researchers feeding rats 100,000x the amount found in human blood.

Junk science + hysteria.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
I don't really care whether it causes cancer or not. It has a nasty aftertaste and I avoid it like the plague.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
I don't really care whether it causes cancer or not. It has a nasty aftertaste and I avoid it like the plague.
This, exactly.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
Junk science + hysteria.

Yea, looks like.

Thanks for the helpful insight!  :P

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the helpful insight!  :P

You can always count on APS!

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
However, I think I can pretty clearly answer your question with another question:

How many lawsuits have there been over cancer caused by aspartame? Given the state of our current legal system, that's a pretty clear indication any "science" backing the correlation is more than a little tenuous.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
I've seen some actual scientific papers discussing if it's possible aspartame and other non-nutrative sweeteners, like Stevia, and sugar alcohols, like Xylitol, Malitol, or Sucralose may still play a role in diabetes and obesity despite having no calories, or carbohydrates humans can metabolize.

The theory is that just TASTING sweet things sets off many of the same hormonal responses and chemical processes related to obesity and Type II Diabetes even though there's no actual caloric content. Or that it messes with your normal signals of hunger and satiety. Where the tongue says "yep we ate... not hungry" and the stomach says "What gives?" etc. and you wind up actually eating MORE in the long run.

At least some rats did when fed two batches of yogurt, one with glucose, the other saccharine.

However double blind studies in actual humans are tricky. Because it's a combination of metabolic, hormonal, and neurological/psychological factors. And I'm not sure which of these studies, if any, ever actually had test subjects secured to the point they could be fed a controlled and measured diet, given controlled levels of activity, or just relied on weighing, blood work, and self-reporting on questionnaires.

So I think it's possible that artificial sweeteners may actually be contributing to the "Obesity Epidemic" but even if that's so, I agree it's pretty clear they're in no way carcinogenic or toxic, save to a very rare subset of the population with certain metabolic disorders, like Phenylketonuria, and for the most part those folks know who they are. 
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
Aspartame? Isn't that the Greek goddess of diet cola?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
I go between Aspartame in my Dr pepper 10, Stevia in my coffee, and natural sugars in my Mexican sodas (thanks for getting me hooked, fistful's thread). I figure if I keep my body guessing, I'll dodge the cancer bullet. :)

In all seriousness, without any expertise, I simply try to do all things in moderation. I might worry more about any of the three above ingredients if I was drinking ten sodas a day instead of one or two.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »
I avoid it. not because of cancer risks if any, but because it is very inflamatory in some people, can cause headaches and reportedly even seizures in some. 
What we have here is failure to communicate.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »
I've heard off comments about aspartame since, pretty much forever.  "That'll make you glow in the dark!", etc.

This was brought to my attention again today, when my roommate called it "liquid poison" and "heavily correlated with a large number of cancers"

So I started doing some digging.  Found some good info on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

It seems to be very clear that aspartame is safe and has been studied long enough and in depth enough to establish that with good certainty.

The National Cancer Institute notes “There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans.” (from http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners )

So, am I missing something, or are these anti-artificial-sweetener people totally incorrect?

lately i've been hearing that cancer feeds on sugar.  so what's up with that?

http://www.nutritioncancer.com/sugarfeedscancer.html
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
At least some rats did when fed two batches of yogurt... 

Ah, rodents and yogurt.  And humans, too, apparently. =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
I get aweful stomach aches from aspartame. 

I lost my sweet tooth somewhere around 16-17, so I don't eat much refined sugar either.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
My name is Larry and I'm a Diet Coke addict.
3-4 liters a day, some days more.
20+ years of that.
I can't drink regular pop, it makes me sick, except most root beer.
Probably not real healthy but I can't ID any health issues from it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36:28 AM »
Well, not aspartame, but I've proven with myself that Splenda is okay unless cooked. Had some cookies made with Splenda, it was cool. I do not trust the objectivity of the FDA on food additives, nor can I think of another chemical with a chlorine group stuck on it that is good for you.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 02:32:49 PM »
I do not trust the objectivity of the FDA on food additives, nor can I think of another chemical with a chlorine group stuck on it that is good for you.
Salt?
 :P
On a similar note- has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in Mt Dew? I noticed a long time ago that one of the ingredients is 'Brominated vegetable oil'- I stopped drinking it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
For more of the same, look into MSG
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »
Your quote that "The National Cancer Institute notes 'There is no clear evidence that the artificial sweeteners available commercially in the United States are associated with cancer risk in humans'” holds the key, and has long been a bugaboo of mine.

Stating that "there is no clear evidence" usually means that there is no statistically significant difference between groups treated with substance X and groups not exposed to it.

This, however, does not mean there is no difference, it merely means that there is no difference that shows up in statistical tests at some arbitrarily-chosen confidence level.

These confidence levels are usually 5% and 1%.*

In other words, in testing, if we use the confidence level of 5%, what we are saying is that "We are 95% confident that there is no difference between the two groups."  And jumping from that, to "there is no difference" is a leap of logical faith.  That's the long and the short of it without going into the fundamentals of inferential statistics.

While the statement that "there is no clear difference" is absolutely true, it is a cop-out.  The true state of affairs is that there may in fact be a difference, we just didn't see it in our testing. 

In testing for "danger," I have long recommended that the confidence levels should be dropped (or raised, depending on how you want to look at it).

Yes,  you get more false positives doing it that way, but when you're dealing with potential danger, I would rather see more false positives in testing than more deaths.

Besides, aspartame makes me pee.  Bad news when I used to have long meetings coming up.

Terry, 230RN

* These are usually "one-tailed tests."

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:10:47 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.