Author Topic: Alexander Hamilton, We Hardly Knew Ye  (Read 5089 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Alexander Hamilton, We Hardly Knew Ye
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
Looks like they want to give Hamilton the axe. Kinda ironic considering his role in US finances.

http://twitchy.com/2015/06/17/why-would-you-target-him-treasury-dept-reportedly-giving-alexander-hamilton-the-boot/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Alexander Hamilton, We Hardly Knew Ye
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:04 AM »
Interesting. You'd think they'd go after someone like Washington, as his slave-owning is well-known. (I don't know if Hamilton owned any slaves. Even if he did, it's not really something he's known for.) Then again, Hamilton's easy to go after, as no one knows who he was. No one will care enough to defend him.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »
I'm acquainted with a Hamilton here in Reno, I told him I'm related to Burr - he got all fired up about what a bastard Burr was. :old:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 06:30:59 AM »
With the  current batch of nutbags running things I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenner on the new bill.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44:12 AM »
With the  current batch of nutbags running things I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenner on the new bill.

The $3.00 bill is finally coming out?  I always thought it would be more colorful.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
With the  current batch of nutbags running things I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenner on the new bill.

Can we leave Bruce Jender out of this? :)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »

Can we leave Bruce Jender out of this? :)

Who said anything about Bruce?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
I really don't mind getting rid of Hamilton..
Reminds me, a couple of local morning FM radio hosts always talked about starting a 'sand FDR off the dimes' campaign.  >:D

Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
Bring back the $500 bill, then put a woman on it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
I'd be quite cool with losing Grant off the $50 and replacing him with John Adams. Or even Doug Adams, for that matter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
Would it be sexist to suggest that, whoever they choose, they put the lady on the dime? ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »
My first thought was also either bring back one of the older denominations (I remember the $1000 bill my mom & dad gave my sister at her wedding when I was a kid) or else swap out Grant on the $50.

My guess is that they want to do this with a ubiquitous denomination to make sure everyone knows about the diversity. I haven't done a search, but am curious as to how many other paper denominations have made a switch, and why. I wonder who they'll choose? Susan B. Anthony already had her chance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
Would it be sexist to suggest that, whoever they choose, they put the lady on the dime quarter? ;)

I know I'm going to be hit with a purse full of them, but I could not resist.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »
My guess is that they want to do this with a ubiquitous denomination to make sure everyone knows about the diversity.

Well, Washington and Lincoln are too popular. I would have thought they'd go after Jackson, though. He's been in for some hate recently, and doesn't have the same positives as Washington.

Also, they can't take Lincoln off the currency. He's our first gay president.  ;/

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
n/m
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »
Upon further reading, it appears the groups wanting this were actually aiming for the $20, however the $10 is already up for a redesign, so Treasury went with that one. At least they're showing some fiscal responsibility.

I wonder why the couldn't do a concurrent run of two different versions? Apparently that was done with George and Martha on the $1 bill for a while in the early 20th century.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
Get rid of the evil Democrat Jackson.

Replace him with Reagan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
My first thought was also either bring back one of the older denominations (I remember the $1000 bill my mom & dad gave my sister at her wedding when I was a kid) or else swap out Grant on the $50.

My guess is that they want to do this with a ubiquitous denomination to make sure everyone knows about the diversity. I haven't done a search, but am curious as to how many other paper denominations have made a switch, and why. I wonder who they'll choose? Susan B. Anthony already had her chance.

List of pipples on US currency notes (not just bank notes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_on_United_States_banknotes

So what if Susan was on a coin that failed to catch on due to the stupidity of the US Mint and the cowardice of Congress? Abe, Tom, Ben, and George have all been on coins and bills.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:44 AM »
My only question is which of these aholes will be on the Quadrillion Dollar bill?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »
My only question is which of these aholes will be on the Quadrillion Dollar bill?

Hopefully Obama.
We can use it as a substitute for TP when a whole wheelbarrow full of them will no longer buy you an 8-roll pack of Charmin.

Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
With the  current batch of nutbags running things I wouldn't be surprised to see Jenner on the new bill.

That there.

Diety of Choice only knows what they'll dig up.

(I've long pondered what our money out to look like.  I'm no fan of dead pols or political correctness.  I like this:  One side, a picture of some striking American natural scenery.  Yellowstone.  Grand Canyon.  Something like that.  Other side: a depiction of a American achievement:  The lunar lander.  The iconic photo of the joining of the two halves of the trancontinantal railway.  Vast wheat or corn fields with a harvester.  The NYC skyline.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »
Bring back the $500 bill, then put a woman on it.

Only if it's Lady Liberty.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
Only if it's Lady Liberty.

Nope: Margaret Brent

People will be like who??
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
All this kerfuffle. Simple answer: wait ten years and put HRC on a bill. First woman, and ex-president. :'(

(Assuming we still have paper currency at that point.)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »
I'm acquainted with a Hamilton here in Reno, I told him I'm related to Burr - he got all fired up about what a bastard Burr was. :old:

I always thought Raymond Burr was a fine actor.  [tinfoil] I enjoyed both Perry Mason and Ironside. [popcorn]
 >:D

;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero