Author Topic: PBY sinks off of Flora-Bama, Nick Cage involved.  (Read 5075 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
PBY sinks off of Flora-Bama, Nick Cage involved.
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:31:54 PM »
It's in like five feet of water so it's recoverable. Still though this is yet another indication that having Cage around is just asking for problems.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
Re: PBY sinks off of Flora-Bama, Nick Cage involved.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
Least they can float it.   Cool old war bird. 

Doesn't Jimmy Buffett have a flying boat of some kind?  Can't remember where I read it.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:01 PM »
Least they can float it.   Cool old war bird. 

Doesn't Jimmy Buffett have a flying boat of some kind?  Can't remember where I read it.

He did.  I think he sank his, too.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
JB sank a Widgeon

http://www.buffettworld.com/widgeon-seaplane-crash/

Hemisphere Dancer is the Albatross he has/had.  He was shot at by the Jamaican police coming in to land in Nigril.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemisphere_Dancer
Sadly, it hasn't flown since 2003.

He's also had a Lake that he flew for a while. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
JB sank a Widgeon

http://www.buffettworld.com/widgeon-seaplane-crash/

Hemisphere Dancer is the Albatross he has/had.  He was shot at by the Jamaican police coming in to land in Nigril.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemisphere_Dancer
Sadly, it hasn't flown since 2003.

He's also had a Lake that he flew for a while. 

Ah,  thanks. 

Didn't know he crashed the Widgeon,   The Albatross was the one I'd read about.  Just a neat plane.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:10:32 AM »
PBY?  Peanut butter and..?.....nevermind I guess.  Gotta read the link.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:34:04 AM »
. . . Cool old war bird . . .
Indeed.

I always did think it was a good looking plane.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »
... Why aren't they using a reproduction?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:51:15 AM »
Ah,  thanks. 

Didn't know he crashed the Widgeon,   The Albatross was the one I'd read about.  Just a neat plane.

Were I to win the lottery, I'd get my license just so I could have an albatross and fly to neat places with gin clear waters.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:27:01 AM »
Were I to win the lottery, I'd get my license just so I could have an albatross and fly to neat places with gin clear waters.

Not me! I'd get me this plane and a one-eyed dog.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
PBY?  Peanut butter and..?.....nevermind I guess.  Gotta read the link.

Catalina.  Great old WW2 flying boat.  Twin engine with the wing mounted up on top of a conning tower like thing.  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »
... Why aren't they using a reproduction?
???  Do they even make reproductions??   ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
Not me! I'd get me this plane and a one-eyed dog.  =D

And the gold monkey?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
Love the old twin engine flying boats with landing gear.  Definitely my "If I win the lottery and buy an airplane" objective.

Nick Cage....

I recall he popped up around the same time as Leonardo DiCaprio.  Over time, LDC earned my respect as an actor.  In a similar fashion, Cage has not.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
???  Do they even make reproductions??   ;/

One would think Hollyweird could make at least a few for filming.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
They have one at the San Diego Air and Space Museum. It's impressive.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:22:18 PM »
Love the old twin engine flying boats with landing gear.  Definitely my "If I win the lottery and buy an airplane" objective.

Nick Cage....

I recall he popped up around the same time as Leonardo DiCaprio.  Over time, LDC earned my respect as an actor.  In a similar fashion, Cage has not.

Ummm... Nick Cage has been around a bit longer than DiCaprio. In fact, they hit with major movies about a decade apart.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
Ummm... Nick Cage has been around a bit longer than DiCaprio. In fact, they hit with major movies about a decade apart.

Very possible.  The first LDC movie I recall was Romeo & Juliet in, IIRC, 1996.  The first Nick Cage movie I recall was the awful Apache helicopter movie.

<does search>

Yep, about ten years apart in age.  About 8 years apart in first movies.  Not sure which movie of which actor would be considered the one that got them big name recognition.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/?ref_=nv_sr_1
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000115/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Romeo & Juliet: 1996
Firebirds: 1990

Still not a Cage fan.

First movie I though LDC did well was The Aviator.  Now, talk about a cool flying boat!  Howard Hughes had a Sikorsky S-43...in which he taught a young Katherine Hepburn to fly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-43
Two aircraft went to private owners: Harold Vanderbilt and Howard Hughes. Hughes' S-43 N440 remains the last example of this aircraft type flying [1]. It is now owned by Kermit Weeks and has been relocated from Texas to the restoration facility at the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Polk City, Florida where it is awaiting reassembly and restoration.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
One would think Hollyweird could make at least a few for filming.

C.G.I. would be cheaper.....or even models and trick photography.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Cage's second movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High was big. Leaving Las Vegus was a huge cult hit.

Early DiCaprio would be What's Eating Gilbert Grape (when he initially made a name for himself as a future actor to watch) and than Basketball Diaries.

The reason I know this is because I was the right age when DiCaprio was a Teen Beat heartthrob.

BTW, hugely recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It's a bit odd, but great movie. DiCaprio plays Depps younger, mentally retarded brother. He was only in his early teens at the time. Great performance.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
Cage's second movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High was big. Leaving Las Vegus was a huge cult hit.

Early DiCaprio would be What's Eating Gilbert Grape (when he initially made a name for himself as a future actor to watch) and than Basketball Diaries.

The reason I know this is because I was the right age when DiCaprio was a Teen Beat heartthrob.

BTW, hugely recommend What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It's a bit odd, but great movie. DiCaprio plays Depps younger, mentally retarded brother. He was only in his early teens at the time. Great performance.

I had seen that movie when I was younger and didn't know who those actors even were. Pretty good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »
I was the right age when DiCaprio was a Teen Beat heartthrob.

So you are about the same age as Lindsey Hallie-Annie Lohan  ???   =D

(it's a Parent Trap 1998 reference ;) )

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
So you are about the same age as Lindsey Hallie-Annie Lohan  ???   =D

(it's a Parent Trap 1998 reference ;) )

Okay, I was a little older than that.

Plus, my Teen Beat phase only lasted a few months in middle school. By the time I hit HS I was saving the pictures to use as targets.

Plus, the reason I loved The Basketball Diaries was because DiCaprio gets the crap beaten out of him. (And it was a good movie)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
Okay, I was a little older than that.

Plus, my Teen Beat phase only lasted a few months in middle school. By the time I hit HS I was saving the pictures to use as targets.

Plus, the reason I loved The Basketball Diaries was because DiCaprio gets the crap beaten out of him. (And it was a good movie)

That's okay.  I had never heard of the beautiful Leonardo DiCaprio until I saw Parent Trap on VHS well after 1998.   How far away is Montana anyway?  :laugh:

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
Cage is only in Hollyweird because he's the nephew or something of Francis Ford Coppola.
Formerly sumpnz