Author Topic: "It's baaaaack"  (Read 5101 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
"It's baaaaack"
« on: July 22, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: "It's baaaaack"
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »
R51.1?

Looks sleek, I eagerly await the reviews.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:25 PM »
COMPLETELY REENGINEERED FOR 2016

:laugh:

The last go was an epic charlie foxtrot.  From what I've read/heard on podcasts,  the action is fundamentally flawed.  Curious if they've worked around it somehow.

I still want one.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
Yes, it's back.   I've got mine. =D  Had it nearly a month.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:13:36 PM »

:laugh:

The last go was an epic charlie foxtrot.  From what I've read/heard on podcasts,  the action is fundamentally flawed.  Curious if they've worked around it somehow.

I still want one.

No, not "fundamentally flawed."    Just poorly executed.   Most had short chambers (that's what bothered me), and all had inside surfaces that looked like they  had been hacked out by a drunk gorilla with a broken chisel.
The new models look better made.
Very interesting and ergonomic gun.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:12 AM »
I recall seeing one at a gun show during the first run.  From seeing it on videos it was supposed to be a small sleek pistol with good recoil control.  When I saw it and held it in hand, it seemed to be rather large especially compared to the single stack 9mm pistols available today.  I didn't see that it offered anything new.  We will see if this was is any better.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:55:23 AM »
I didn't see that it offered anything new. 

Vintage-inspired ugliness?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:48:43 AM »

No tacticool rail?

7 round magazine?

Which market segment are they, uh, targeting?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
. . .  all had inside surfaces that looked like they  had been hacked out by a drunk gorilla with a broken chisel . . .
You mean Remington subcontracted manufacture to Century Arms International?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
The R51 was a great idea.....until they had Para build it. Hopefully Remington has learned from the mistake.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »
The R51 was a great idea.....until they had Para build it. Hopefully Remington has learned from the mistake.

How do you figure they had Para build it? Remington closed the ParaUSA factory and brought Para production under the Remington roof, thereby screwing up Para quality before shuttering the production line and killing off the name. Don't blame Marlington's QC problems on the former ParaUSA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
Re:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 09:54:40 AM »
How do you figure they had Para build it? Remington closed the ParaUSA factory and brought Para production under the Remington roof, thereby screwing up Para quality before shuttering the production line and killing off the name. Don't blame Marlington's QC problems on the former ParaUSA.
Para quality?

Some years ago I was seriously considering a Para P-14. The clerk at the gun shop encouraged me to handle and examine a half-dozen he had in stock - build quality did not impress; fit, finish, basic operation, and triggers varied all over the place. Maybe it was a case of some guns being made Monday morning or Friday afternoon, but the QC failed to impress. Badly. Maybe the seemingly "better" examples were actually OK, but considering several examples were decidedly crappy - I passed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 03:51:26 PM »
When in the 90's I decided I "needed" a double-stack .45 for some reason. Mainly '94 AWB paranoia before they and their mags all went out of sight in price, I handled a Para P14 the LGS clerk handed me. NIB, I couldn't retract the slide. It had galled shut and was too tight from the factory. The clerk took it back assuming I didn't kow what to do, or had the safety locking the slide. Two clerks, got it retracted, one holding the frame and grip, the other with two hands on the slide, then it was done, and wouldn't go back into battery.

I passed, and got a G21 instead, and finally got rid of it around 2008 because it was just too big for my hands to ever shoot it well.

The whole initial QC problems on the first run aside, I'm not sure what need or niche the R51 fills, other than it's quasi-retro looks and for the sake of "something different". It's almost the same size as a G19, but is only single stack. So maybe a smidge slimmer.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 11:32:23 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcf1cTJCGk4

Goes into single-shot on the very first try.  :facepalm:

After that, it repeats the malfunction from time to time.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
With as much trouble as they had, I am surprised they bothered to bring it back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:33 PM »
http://wethearmed.com/handguns/remington-r51-range-report/

I don't know the guy from adam,  but it seems like a reasonable review.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
I still kinda want one.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »
Didn't the original Pedersen rifle action require lubed/waxed cartridges?  I seem to recall that in Ordnance Department testing, it showed great reliability but was rejected because of the requirement for lubed cartridges.

That sort of tells me something.  Like the basic mechanism requires too much of an absolutely correct balancing between forces and timing to be workable.

According to reports, it does soften the felt recoil, I guess mainly because it sort of spreads it out, but on the other hand, spreading out the energies involved may make it too sensitive to hold and ammo and spring forces and cartridge case variations and the phase of the moon.

In one video I saw, it seemed to like the heavier-recoiling rounds more, which sorta-kinda confirms my suspicion about "delicate balancing."

Even the nose-diving could be a result of slight differences in the recoil of the gun due to slightly different holds.

Sounds like one of those designs that "can be made to work," but is not based on an inherently reliable concept.

Just my take on it.

Terry

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:59:33 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »
There's this too:  http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2016/08/remington-reliability-and-r51.htm.  Same conclusion, basically.

Sooo, maybe half the idea of the R51 has some merit.    Compact single stack, single action with concealed hammer, and big grip safety -- go for it.   Combine it with a Browning type tilt barrel system, that's way out of patent, and we have a lot of experience with making work.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
Didn't the original Pedersen rifle action require lubed/waxed cartridges?

You might be thinking of the Pederson toggle lock rifles.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
Terry,

I can't speak for the R51, but my Model 51 is very reliable.  I haven't put thousands of rounds through it (for obvious reasons), but I have put several hundred rounds of different .380 loads and bullets through it with nary a hiccup.  And I have one mag, and the gun is running on 90ish year old springs.

That doesn't speak to me of a picky design, but poor execution in the new 9mm.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 10:42:01 PM »
He points out his 51 is great, it's the R model that sux.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
There's this too:  http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2016/08/remington-reliability-and-r51.htm.  Same conclusion, basically.

I hadn't seen that one, so thanks for pointing it out.  I don't think it takes a hotshot engineer to figure out that the mechanism is too dependent on fine tuning and fine production... I guess the older ones had better production practices and different cartridges.

There's nothing wrong with delayed blowback if it is designed for a specific cartridge and power level.  The roller locks on that rapid-firing German machine gun (the model escapes me) worked pretty well, I am told, but it was for a very high powered specific single cartridge, and in a rather heavy firearm.

Compare that to the R51, which is a light handgun (again, therefore sensitive to hold*) with a ticklish action concept, and in which cartridge (9mm) power, and bullet weight varied widely.  Too much to expect, and once again, it doesn't take a hotshot engineer to see that.

You might be thinking of the Pederson toggle lock rifles.

Yeah, probably.  I'll have to dig around in my references when I get around to it to check.  77 year old memory, doncha know.

You want a gun just for "pretty," see if you can find a Whitney Wolverine.

Cut yer losses, Remington, both in money and reputation, pull them all back, deduct the losses from corp tax, and move on.

Terry, 230RN

* Yes, despite disclaimers to the contrary, guns do start to recoil before the bullet exits.  Sometimes it's hard to measure or detect with a heavy gun, but they do.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 10:16:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 02:01:27 AM »
Another Review:  http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2016/08/remington-reliability-and-r51.html?utm_content=bufferf44dc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Money Quote:
After 600 rounds of testing, the [second gen.] Remington R51 is looking like the kind of gun I'd want my enemy to have in a gunfight" -- TFB TV

TL;DR:  
Even the original Remington model 51 was only available in .32acp and .380acp. There's good reason why blowback pistols... even modified blowback pistols such as the R51... above .380acp in power are rare.

You're already cutting your tolerances close and stacking them high... when you add questionable quality control on top of it... well... the results are... predictably unpredictable shall we say?

Which is why Dogmush's 51 in .380ACP works greats.   The R51v2 seems to really like NATO 9mm which is between +P and +P+.  It likes brass cartridge and full(er) power rounds.  Because Physics.  Anything less (especially steel) and it begins to choke, throw in some not quite QC and you have a design that quickly becomes unreliable.   I just wonder with all the .380's flying off the shelves, why not just re-make the original again, in .380?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:34:42 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
Another Review:  http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2016/08/remington-reliability-and-r51.html?utm_content=bufferf44dc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Money Quote:
TL;DR: 
Which is why Dogmush 51 in .380ACP works greats.   The R51v2 seems to really like NATO 9mm which is between +P and +P+.  It likes brass cartridge and full(er) power rounds.  Because Physics.  Anything less (especially steel) and it begins to choke, throw is not quite QC and you have a design that quickly becomes unreliable.   I just wonder with all the .380's flying off the shelves, why not just re-make the original again, in .380?

That was already linked to (sort of), and it's a review of the video I posted.