Author Topic: EMP fried my computer peripherals.  (Read 5082 times)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
EMP fried my computer peripherals.
« on: April 29, 2005, 02:40:12 PM »
Today, lightning struck my neighbor's house and it burned down. EMP seems to have fried the Ethernet card in my G4 Mac and also disabled Firewire memory card reader. I am not sure if the modem has been affected, I will check by substituting another. External USB hard drive disconnected itself but worked fine once I took the cord out and the re-plugged it.

I have no DSL connection anymore (the service works but neither wireless nor LAN work).

My first question is: where could I get a replacement Ethernet card for my G4 and which kinds would fit?
Second: what's the best way to verify if specific hardware is fried beyond repair?

PS: Fire department came within 15 minutes, but the house was a total loss by then. My own house smells of smoke.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 04:30:06 PM »
Whoa!  That's a little too close for comfort.  Sorry to hear about your peripherals and your neighbor's house.  I hope everyone came out OK.  I've had a modem fried by lightning.  There are some repair places out there that can fix some lightning damaged components, but it may cost more than replacing the card, modem, etc.  My brother was an Apple tech support guy - I'll see if he knows anything about it.
For entertainment purposes only.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 04:32:52 PM »
Got PCI slots?  Any old thing should work.

This is, of course, just a temporary measure while you work with your insurance company to get your damaged computer replaced.  Homeowner's insurance.  You got it, right?  Time to use it.

I've seen computer equipment that was not immediately fried fail prematurely after electrical damage like that, so you do want to replace it, especially if a motherboard component like the NIC has been damaged.

Second: what's the best way to verify if specific hardware is fried beyond repair?
Take it to a computer service place (in your case, someone familiar with Macs), and have them look at it and write something up for insurance.  I do this all the time after major storms.  I've never yet had an insurance company balk at paying for a replacement.  Just turn in the tech's bill to insurance.  The expense of that will be applicable toward the insurance deductable.

If you have a decent surge protector|UPS, you probably also have an equipment protection warranty.  The downside of that is that if you have your stuff plugged into anything at all other than that manufacturer's stuff, it will get denied.  No having a Tripp Lite surge protector plugged into an APC UPS, for example.

I have no DSL connection anymore (the service works but neither wireless nor LAN work).
Fried dsl modem and router.  And your Mac's ethernet -- imagine that.  :-).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 04:47:15 PM »
would a UPS prevent such an overload from affecting the hardware plugged into it?
Wear a Yellow Armband!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 06:29:29 PM »
would a UPS prevent such an overload from affecting the hardware plugged into it?
No.  The only thing that might help would be a line filter for the ethernet.  We have pretty regular lightning strikes in the apartments here on campus.  It used to completely toast 40-50 network cards a year in students' computers.  Moving from long copper runs to fiber between the buildings has alleviated this problem, but for quite awhile, we strongly recommended line filters in addition to power surge suppressors.  I have one that does power, phone, and ethernet.  $10 from Radio Shack.

It is really amazing what lightning will do.  That copper was buried in conduits that ran 1m below grade, and didn't surface until it was well inside the apartment building.  We would have a strike on a tree or a fencepost or even the ground a solid 20 feet away, and it would toast devices on both ends of the cable.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 02:48:25 AM »
It is really amazing what lightning will do.  That copper was buried in conduits that ran 1m below grade, and didn't surface until it was well inside the apartment building.  We would have a strike on a tree or a fencepost or even the ground a solid 20 feet away, and it would toast devices on both ends of the cable.
Lightning does weird things.  My rule on cabling is that copper doesn't go a single inch outside a bulding.  You convert to fiber or wireless.  

Oleg, what type of G4 do you have?  Is it a standard tower or one of those oddball shapes that Apple has been putting out recently?  For replacements the simplest thing is to find out what model is in it now and order another one.  For testing try putting it in another machine if you can.  

Which hardware do you want to verify repairability?  Everything you mentioned is not something you repair by any other method than replacement.

I don't suppose you have renter's/homeowner's insurance you could file against?
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

matis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 03:59:45 AM »
Oleg,

Sorry to hear about your neighbor's house and about your fried equipment.

Just wanted to add a bit about homeowners insurance.

What LeeNfield suggested makes great sense except for one thing.

Times have changed drastically regarding homeowners and auto insurance.

Used to be we had smaller deductibles and made claims when we had such problems.

Times have changed.  Report smallish claims today and the company will payfor them and then NON-renew the policy when it's time to.

Especialy if you make more than one claim within a hew years.

Insurance strategy for today: Increase the deductible to $1000 or $2000 or even more -- to get the premiums down significantly.  And pay for the damage yourself.

Today this insurance is only for large claims, in which case the companies don't refuse to re-new.  But recurring small claims will get you dumped in more and more cases.  Then you must scramble to find new insurance and the companies maintain a database that they (mostly) all access -- so you pay much more for your insurance.

LeeNfield, you must live a quiet life (grin) and so haven't had to deal with this.

Best regards to you both.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 04:25:41 AM »
Based on experiences like this when I was a field systems engineer for Comcast, I HIGHLY recommend placing a properly-grounded Ethernet surge suppressor between one's cable or DSL modem and PC or router.  APC makes one that goes for ~$20 - $25.  After we started using these in our commercial cable modem deployments, the incidence of fried routers dropped to almost zero.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »
Quote from: Dave Markowitz
Based on experiences like this when I was a field systems engineer for Comcast, I HIGHLY recommend placing a properly-grounded Ethernet surge suppressor between one's cable or DSL modem and PC or router.  APC makes one that goes for ~$20 - $25.  After we started using these in our commercial cable modem deployments, the incidence of fried routers dropped to almost zero.
Dave,

Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=PNET1

"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 08:48:48 AM »
Yikes, that sucks. I've had it happen to me, twice. Sad
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 04:53:30 PM »
Which hardware do you want to verify repairability?  Everything you mentioned is not something you repair by any other method than replacement.
All the Macs I've seen for a good long while have had ethernet built into the motherboard.  At the very least, that motherboard needs to be replaced.  If they just stick an nic in a slot I would not call that a proper repair.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 06:05:35 AM »
BryanP,

That's the exact model we used.  I have one between my own cable modem and router.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »

EMP is an electromagnetic pulse that induces current in electrical components.
Lightning is a plain old power surge.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 06:10:01 PM »
wireless internet on battery power is a good thing in a thunder storm

A buddy has his whole house on surge/lightning protection
he neglected to protect his Dish antenna
the surge from the hit on the tree it was mounted on, fried a bunch of TV hardware
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 11:46:08 AM »
I have a G4/350 tower (and Ethernet port is on the motherboard). I got a replacement Ethernet card, not sure how to make the computer recognize it.

The other computer is a G3/500 laptop with a wirelss card. In theory, I could try to connect it to the modem directly, but I can't recall how to convert it to wired networking.

The modem is likely OK, as I replaced it with another of the same exact model, no change in indicator lights or behavior. The router is broadcasting a local network info, so it seems to be at least somewhat functional. My bet is on the Ehternet card in the G4.

Anyone with Mac expertise here?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:47 PM »
is the card an apple compatible card?
yer gonna need drivers

the network system prefences in OS X is yer friend

is the laptop OSX or OS 9.X?

you basically plug the ethernet RJ45 cable in the port and check the settings

OSX dynamically switches to a LAN cable
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »
My laptop is running 10.3 and desktop is 10.28

I will look into network controls. Where'd I get Mac drivers for a generic E card? (Not much tech support for Macs in this town...)

Don't know if the card is apple-compatible...how would I find out?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 05:47:44 PM »
the card may not have mac OS drivers

gotta check the makers website

Asante makes Mac ethernet cards (NICs)
http://asante.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3758294/

lee n. field

• friend
Re: EMP fried my computer peripherals.
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »
Not quite the record for thread necromancy.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: EMP fried my computer peripherals.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »
But close.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB