Author Topic: American Journalist #2 Beheaded by ISIS  (Read 12677 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: American Journalist #2 Beheaded by ISIS
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
ISIS is fantastically weak, even tepid military responses from Obama will cut them up badly.

ISIS is more of a symptom of the larger Middle Eastern/Muslim pathologies than it is some Islamic ubermench army. The ME is so weak and screwed up culturally, anyone who can act with cohesion and a willingness to fight can make impressive gains, but to continue the medical analogy, they're not "MRSA" they're more like a pedestrian bacteria ravaging someone without a good immune system.

Those willing to organize and fight ISIS seem to be doing okay, such as the Kurds.

So the big unsaid thing is that ISIS is Iraq's failure, it's the Shia's failure, and it's the moderate Sunni's failure. After a decade of training, and billions of our military gear, Iraqis in ARMOR, export-grade M1 tanks... fled before ISIS with small arms driving in a bunch of Toyota pickup trucks.

Yeah, the West is "weak" (politically), but ISIS is where they are because the ME is even weaker.

That said, I don't mind one bit that it's being cast as "Obama's Failure" too.  =)

Sucks for the Libertarian wing of the GOP like Rand Paul's 2016 chances, unless he can articulate some sort of "Bomb em', kill em', don't occupy em'" strategy that can make everyone happy.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
Where I see ISIS "failing" right now is that they are spreading themselves too thin.  On the other hand I read a report stating that ISIS is stealing foreign fighters from the Taliban. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
I think that ISIS is a direct byproduct of "indirect" US intervention in Syria. Kind of like Al Qaeda and Afghanistan.

So we sprinkle "freedom fighter" pixie dust on the region, and out spring "terrorists"...

Gosh darn it, you would think they would know by now not to feed the freedom fighters any ammunition after midnight!  ;/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
I've been thinking about it, and there is a crucial distinction between current events and previous headbutting between the West and Islam/its political entities. The historical conflicts have occurred between competing civilizations.

What we're dealing with today is a war between civilization and barbarism. There is no negotiation with someone for whom the concept of negotiation is a display of weakness. 

Indeed, it is a clash of civilizations.  And those who insist on seeing it as just the latest politics in the vein of Metternich will constantly follow the wrong path.

The problem with that is that it assumes military power can be used to wipe out people of that particular viewpoint, which really isnt the lesson of history, and comes with its own very considerable moral costs. 

http://theblackcordelias.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/the-difference-between-dominicans-and-jesuits/
Two men considering a religious vocation were having a conversation. “What is similar about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders? ” the one asked.

The second replied, “Well, they were both founded by Spaniards — St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St. Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits. They were also both founded to combat heresy — the Dominicans to fight the Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants.”

“What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?”

“Met any Albigensians lately?”

The point being that a combination of religio-philosophical and military might can do the trick.  And leave the fighter better off afterwards.

It also tends to ignore the very real reasons why people might feel the need to back the (usually very small) number of true believers in any particular group; for example, it is surely no mere coincidence that the two main areas of Sunni fundamentalist expansion right now (Iraq and Nigeria) are going on in the two of the most corrupt countries on the planet.   

Order vs Chaos.  Most folk in most societies prize order.  All those places you mention are basket cases where the central gov't can not provide order.  In steps a better-organized group that displays an ability to provide order.

Saw something similar as the western half of the Roman empire tottered.  Christian bishops stepped up and provided order and relief as the Roman gov't dissolved into chaos.  It is why during Russia's mess after the COld War, many in Russia looked back at Stalin with longing. 

It is also perhaps not surprising that they feel able to criticize democracy when the one main Islamist group to actually engage with that process - the MB in Egypt - got overthrown in a coup that resulted in thousands of deaths, with nary a peep out of the West.   Nor is it really that hard to argue in favour of any moral superiority for Western values when the media (at least in this country) have spent much of the past week talking about the X-Factor, leaked naked pictures of various celebrities and our football clubs spending nearly a billion pounds on players. 

They criticize democracy because democracy's supporters in the ME are almost invariably the weakest of the rival powers.  It deserves no respect because it is not a serious player as the authoritarian secularists and authoritarian Muslims are.  Pinhead western journolists and dumbass diplomats think ME democratic movements are larger than they really are because the journos & diplodunderheads can more easily communicate with the pro-demo activists (because they are more likely to speak English).

Since the overthrow of the MB, not so much turmoil in Egypt.  The secular authoritarians are providing more & better order.

Of course, the real way to defeat such things is to do what we did to get rid of our fundamentalists - to educate as many people as possible, to adopt science in order to actively disprove many erroneous religious-based beliefs, and to encourage social progression towards freer, richer, less corrupt societies.  Of course not everywhere in the West did that to the same level, but the countries which did were the ones that ended up on top. 

Um, the most influential scientists in the West with the greatest breakthroughs that helped usher in modernity were orthodox Christians.  They would be considered very fundy nowadays. 

The trend to a fee-er less corrupt society was the work of a couple millenia in the West and is not transferable to other cultures without going "clean slate" on them.  Athens, Rome, Jerusalem, and Germania.  The nation-state also requires a nationality, not a notionality.  Notional polities eventually require mass murder and oppression to exist, as any student of multi-ethnic empires could tell.

The West traded Christian-inspired culture for a Marxist-inspired culture at the top.  Has been a sucker's deal.  We now have had and still have even more nasty and closed-minded fundies at the levers of power.  Or is the 20th Century's megadeath lost in the mists of history?  Fascism in the Wilson and FDR administrations (imprisonment for belief and speech or national origin).  Fascism in Spain & Italy (How many murdered by the regimes?).  Naziism is Germany (Millions murdered).  USSR & China & Nork & Cambodia (Made the Nazis look like retailers of death while they worked death wholesale). 

Those would be the same Romans that spent most of the next hundred years after Carthage fell consuming themselves in civil wars, domestic strife, unimaginable corruption and whatnot? 

As I said, there are costs when you want to do what they did. 

A stretch to say that Cathage's destruction was the cause.  Plenty of other countries & civilizations have prospered after overthrowing great rivals and nearly blotting them from history. 

The multi-cultist cultural marxists have worked so hard to tamp down western self-regard and making any such expression outside the purview of peaceful and orderly politics.  We ought not be surprised then that when it does burst forth, it will manifest itself as violent.  Leave no legal & respectable outlets and you guarantee what comes next is illegal and disrespectable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
Apparently the US has carried out airstrikes against ISIS (which our CINC insists on calling ISIL*) near the Haditha Dam.

Haditha Dam... when I first read that my mind saw it as "Haiphong Harbor."

* Levant, meaning to include Israel.  Funny that coming from Obama.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
Apparently the US has carried out airstrikes against ISIS (which our CINC insists on calling ISIL*) near the Haditha Dam.

Haditha Dam... when I first read that my mind saw it as "Haiphong Harbor."

* Levant, meaning to include Israel.  Funny that coming from Obama.

Official State Department name is ISIL so he is correct.

On 14 May 2014, the United States Department of State announced its decision to use "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (ISIL) as the group's primary name. The debate over which acronym should be used to designate the group, ISIL or ISIS, has been discussed by several commentators.

On 29 June 2014, the establishment of a new caliphate was announced, and the group formally changed its name to the "Islamic State".

In late August 2014, a leading Islamic authority Dar al-Ifta al-Misriyyah in Egypt advised Muslims to stop calling the group "Islamic State" and instead refer to it as "Al-Qaeda Separatists in Iraq and Syria" or "QSIS", due to the militant group's un-Islamic character.

From the Wiki.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Official State Department name is ISIL so he is correct.

Seems to me we'd do better to just start assigning offensive epithets as the official names of groups like this when they gain full terrorist status.  After all, why should we care what they want to be called at that point?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
Seems to me we'd do better to just start assigning offensive epithets as the official names of groups like this when they gain full terrorist status.  After all, why should we care what they want to be called at that point?

Because we don't want to offend them.  We might even be called racist.

(Given the state of affairs in this country, I am not being entirely sarcastic.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
Because we don't want to offend them.  We might even be called racist.

But Satan's Harem sounds so much catchier than ISIS, don't you think?

For Hamas, I was thinking Rampant Pedophilia, just to see how many of their supporters are willing to go on record with that.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
I just refer to them as ISIL P$$$ies at every opportunities.

Or ISIL Cowards.

Iraqi Army Advances, ISIL Cowards Run Away
Free Syrian Army attacks ISIL Cowards
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
I just refer to them as ISIL P$$$ies at every opportunities.

Or ISIL Cowards.

Iraqi Army Advances, ISIL Cowards Run Away
Free Syrian Army attacks ISIL Cowards

The first link is an iranian news network:
Press TV takes revolutionary steps as the first Iranian international news network, broadcasting in English on a round-the-clock basis.

And in the linked story they make the claim regarding ISIS:
The terrorist group has links with Saudi intelligence, and is believed to be supported by the Israeli regime.

That's not something I've seen asserted before.  How likely is it to be true?  Israel supporting an anti-semitic group seems unlikely. 
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
That's not something I've seen asserted before.  How likely is it to be true?  Israel supporting an anti-semitic group seems unlikely.

Especially one that wants to take over Israel as soon as they're done with their current atrocities.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
On the other hand, Wahhabi Saudi supporters would not be surprising in the least.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 01:55:57 AM »
Something that annoys me about this mess.  Two jo-urinal-ists get killed and it's a big deal but two years ago we had four Americans murdered including an ambassador and it was no big deal. Wasn't terrorism, no real response from Obama. 
"Bomb them back to the stone age" comes to mind but that would be an improvement for most of the goat pokers. Pull our people and equipment out and let them butcher themselves into oblivion. Anything or anyone leaving a designated region without express permission gets blown to hell RFN.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
Something that annoys me about this mess.  Two jo-urinal-ists get killed and it's a big deal but two years ago we had four Americans murdered including an ambassador and it was no big deal. Wasn't terrorism, no real response from Obama.  
"Bomb them back to the stone age" comes to mind but that would be an improvement for most of the goat pokers. Pull our people and equipment out and let them butcher themselves into oblivion. Anything or anyone leaving a designated region without express permission gets blown to hell RFN.

Oh, but Obama did say Benghazi was terrorism. Anyway, that's what Candy Crowley said defending Obama in his debate with Romney. And Obama promised to bring the perpetrators to justice. I don't know if he meant civil court or juvenile court.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
Oh, but Obama did say Benghazi was terrorism. Anyway, that's what Candy Crowley said defending Obama in his debate with Romney. And Obama promised to bring the perpetrators to justice. I don't know if he meant civil court or juvenile court.

I agree with RKL (and you). While the beheadings are barbaric, the fact that you have to be the right demographic for this administration to even start to talk about doing something is ridiculous. The fact that an Ambassador is not the right demographic is despicable. 

I just read today that the prosecution via the criminal system of the little Benghazi fish they caught is not going as swimmingly as they thought (duh). I also heard Obama yesterday mention that there had been no attacks on US soil in 11 years. Whose soil are our embassies on?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
I agree with RKL (and you). While the beheadings are barbaric, the fact that you have to be the right demographic for this administration to even start to talk about doing something is ridiculous. The fact that an Ambassador is not the right demographic is despicable. 

I just read today that the prosecution via the criminal system of the little Benghazi fish they caught is not going as swimmingly as they thought (duh). I also heard Obama yesterday mention that there had been no attacks on US soil in 11 years. Whose soil are our embassies on?

When was the Boston Marathon bombing?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »

Or the dude at LAX?  Or The "workplace violence" at Ft Hood?  Or the spoiled attacks in NYC and Dallas?  Or...

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »

11 years and 7 months after 9/11.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:50 PM »
Or the dude at LAX?  Or The "workplace violence" at Ft Hood?  Or the spoiled attacks in NYC and Dallas?  Or...

Beltway Sniper - 2002
Seattle Jewish Federation shootings - 2006
Times Square Recruiting Office bombed - 2008
Little Rock Recruiting Office shootings - 2009
Fort Hood shootings - 2009

And that's just the ones with confirmed Middle Eastern ties.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
Beltway Sniper - 2002
Seattle Jewish Federation shootings - 2006
Times Square Recruiting Office bombed - 2008
Little Rock Recruiting Office shootings - 2009
Fort Hood shootings - 2009

And that's just the ones with confirmed Middle Eastern ties.

The Boston Marathon bombing had Muslim ties.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
You are including in this a failed bombing with a blackpowder bomb that killed nobody and injured nobody.

Also, another ISIS commander is dead.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
You are including in this a failed bombing with a blackpowder bomb that killed nobody and injured nobody.

It went boom and caused damage to the target.  That sounds like a successful bombing to me.

Is it not an attack if someone shoots at you and misses?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »
It went boom and caused damage to the target.  That sounds like a successful bombing to me.

Is it not an attack if someone shoots at you and misses?

I don't think it really is worth including in terms of measuring how scary and threatening the terrorists are to me.

...unless you want to mock?