Author Topic: XDS vs. Shield  (Read 2084 times)

zahc

• friend
XDS vs. Shield
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:50:55 PM »
I have an M&P 9c. I like it. I have a PF9, and I like it but I don't feel very armed with it. Now that they have these single stack tupperware guns, I think I would like one. I no longer live in civilization where I can rent both. Has anyone here shot both? The M&P looks more refined, but I have always liked the grip safety and tactile chamber indicator of the XD.

Other guns I should consider? I'm probably not interested in a Glock. The other "glocks" just seem better to me.

I have half a mind to go .40 for this one, but then I lose even more capacity, and I want something my wife can shoot comfortably.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: XDS vs. Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:09:02 AM »
Bothe are excellent guns. Get the one that fits your hand best. Be sure and try the XDs with the extended mag.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:51 AM »
I have the 45 XDS.  It works well. The recoil is surprisingly light.  I was thinking my RIA compact 1911 has nearly as much felt recoil and is much heavier.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
I've been carrying the M&P 9 Shield for about a year now. No complaints other than it needed a bit of break-in, the slide/frame fit was pretty stiff out of the box. Recoil is very controllable and its very easy to shoot.
Concealing it is stupid easy, I'm actually looking at getting a M&P 9C or M&P 9 for more capacity.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
I have an M&P 9c. I like it. I have a PF9, and I like it but I don't feel very armed with it.

Does the PF9 not work well?

Now that they have these single stack tupperware guns, I think I would like one. I no longer live in civilization where I can rent both. Has anyone here shot both? The M&P looks more refined, but I have always liked the grip safety and tactile chamber indicator of the XD.

Other guns I should consider? I'm probably not interested in a Glock. The other "glocks" just seem better to me.

I have half a mind to go .40 for this one, but then I lose even more capacity, and I want something my wife can shoot comfortably.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
Does the PF9 not work well?

It works fine for what it is. It doesn't fit my large hand well and I have a hard time getting leverage on the long trigger. I'm not very fast or accurate with it. On the other hand I can shoot small groups with my 9c and do real double - taps and otherwise feel like I have a real gun I have a chance of hitting something past contact range. The PF9 has been pretty reliable except for some light primer strikes, where my 9c has been 100%. The 9c is just slightly brickish under a light shirt.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:45 AM »
It works fine for what it is. It doesn't fit my large hand well and I have a hard time getting leverage on the long trigger. I'm not very fast or accurate with it. On the other hand I can shoot small groups with my 9c and do real double - taps and otherwise feel like I have a real gun I have a chance of hitting something past contact range. The PF9 has been pretty reliable except for some light primer strikes, where my 9c has been 100%. The 9c is just slightly brickish under a light shirt.

If you follow and believe the gunboards, the light strike issue is a known problem with some of the PF9s.  (Internet Hearsay, YMMV, Standard Disclaimer blah blah blah.)

I sent my PF9 in for light primer strikes (once every box or so, no matter what ammo).  It came back with a bunch of parts replaced, and totally reliable. 

It also came back shooting harsher.  Just my perception.  Less fun to shoot.

Hmmm.   Ruger's new LC9S?  (If you don't mind being a guineau pig for a totally new gun that happens to share appearance and name with the original LC9.)  Supposedly the trigger's better.

Hogue grip condom for the PF9?  Cheaper than a new gun.

where my 9c has been 100%. The 9c is just slightly brickish under a light shirt.

I fell into a private party deal a bit ago and picked up an almost unused XD40 subcompact.  "Slightly brickish" -- yeah.  Big.  Heavy.  Heavier than my G-19.  Will never be a pocket gun, unless you wear BDUs.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
The shield and xds both have a grip angle that points well for me , at least trying them in the store- some of the others, like the little ruger ,not so much.  I have shot the xds 45, it worked very well.  At the gun show, I ran into a guy selling a shield in .40. said the recoil was unpleasant, for what that's worth-it is very subjective.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
Be sure and try the XDs with the extended mag.

If you get an XDS, test the heck out of your extended mag before carrying with it. The OEM extended mag is not reliable for my XDS, it turns my reliable gun into a jam-o-matic. Some searching has shown it to be a pretty common issue. Some people have had no trouble with them, though.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
If you get an XDS, test the heck out of your extended mag before carrying with it. The OEM extended mag is not reliable for my XDS, it turns my reliable gun into a jam-o-matic. Some searching has shown it to be a pretty common issue. Some people have had no trouble with them, though.

9mm, or .45?  What sort of jam?  All the rounds, or just the first few?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
The XDs can be ammo sensitive due to the severe feed ramp angle. I've noticed they are putting an extra spiffy polish on the feed ramp, presumably to mitigate the issue.  Micros are also especially sensitive to limp wristing.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:48:19 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
The XDs can be ammo sensitive due to the severe feed ramp angle. I've noticed they are putting an extra spiffy polish on the feed ramp, presumably to mitigate the issue.

I noticed that also with the XD subcompact.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:56:19 PM by lee n. field »

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
9mm, or .45?  What sort of jam?  All the rounds, or just the first few?

I have the .45. Failures to feed, usually within the top 3 rounds. Either jams up trying to strip the round off the top of the magazine, or gets it partially stripped. One of them jammed the slide up good and took me a few minutes to get the magazine out and the slide cleared. Sounds from XDTalk like it's a hit and miss issue with the magazines. I probably should have seen (or still see) about sending mine back in (got it free when they returned the gun after fixing the recall issue).

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
I have the .45. Failures to feed, usually within the top 3 rounds. Either jams up trying to strip the round off the top of the magazine, or gets it partially stripped. One of them jammed the slide up good and took me a few minutes to get the magazine out and the slide cleared. Sounds from XDTalk like it's a hit and miss issue with the magazines. I probably should have seen (or still see) about sending mine back in (got it free when they returned the gun after fixing the recall issue).

Give Springfield a call.  They might evidence some of their stellar customer service and send you some springs and followers.

Brad
-HankB

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
I have the .45. Failures to feed, usually within the top 3 rounds. Either jams up trying to strip the round off the top of the magazine, or gets it partially stripped. One of them jammed the slide up good and took me a few minutes to get the magazine out and the slide cleared.

I've seen a small town gunsmith with a clearing box made for situations like this, with holes surrounded by rubber grommets just the size to fit the barrels of various semiautos; put the exposed bit of barrel in the hole, then give your gun hand a good smack to drive the gun forward and hopefully clear the jam.  He also had a cargo strap running across to keep the gun in that position so he could work on tougher jams while it was securely held pointing into the sand just in case.  I suspect that, had one gone off in that position, it would have sprayed sand around the semi-enclosed firing line, but that beats the heck out of a stray bullet.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 06:15:14 PM »
Never had trouble with my XDS 45.  All mags work very well. 

My PF9 won't go through a single mag without one or two rounds not firing at all with multiple trigger pulls.  Sometimes it fires on the 2nd or 3rd pull.  I have been lazy and haven't sent it in yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge