Poll

How many people do you know who have tested positive.

38 (48.7%)
9 (11.5%)
7 (9%)
3-5
6 (7.7%)
6 +
8 (10.3%)
I know of someone through a trusted source I personally know
8 (10.3%)
I have first hand knowledge of someone one through my job
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus  (Read 56104 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Personal impact of the Wuhan Virus
« Reply #500 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:32 AM »
I might finally qualify for this thread. I came down with almost every symptom (except loss of taste) of both the flu and the China virus last night. I went to the state's "crush the curve" assessment site this morning and FINALLY qualified to take the test (I had been interesting in knowing if I already had it, but never qualified for a test).

Gotta drive an hour to the site this morning. I could have had it done 30 minutes away, but that's a 4 day wait for results. Going to the main testing site, they'll let me know tomorrow.

Edit: Also, if you guys never hear from me again, it means that I stabbed myself in the brain.  =D

This site is a self-collected COVID-19 testing site. Say what? I’m sure you have heard about those swabs that tickle your brain? Well, you won’t have to do that here! This is the same test but the nasal specimen is collected by you and doesn't go up as high as the other on. But, no need to fret - our trained staff will walk you through every simple step and observe that you collect the specimen properly!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2020, 10:09:24 AM »
You'd better not get Steve sick!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2020, 10:15:16 AM »
You'd better not get Steve sick!

I've already got him set up!

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #503 on: November 23, 2020, 10:19:34 AM »
You can't die, I haven't seen your Idaho fortress yet. I hope you're negative.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #504 on: November 23, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
You can't die, I haven't seen your Idaho fortress yet. I hope you're negative.

Thanks! So far the symptoms are mostly irritating, in the bad flu way - cough, sore throat, head kills, chills and fever, and my body feels like I volunteered to be a boxer's heavy bag. Nausea but no diarrhea (yet). Might end up just being the flu, or I might be one of the people that only has moderate symptoms. If I had the "can't breathe" symptoms, I'd be more worried.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #505 on: November 23, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
I was hoping this would burn out by now but my hope has been deferred.

Another one at work tested positive.

None of them are getting more ill than having bad flu symptoms, which is good relatively speaking.

The bad is we have a lot staff out do to very high contact tracing and quarantine standards.

So far, everyone seems to have picked it up someplace other than work.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #506 on: November 23, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
Thanks! So far the symptoms are mostly irritating, in the bad flu way - cough, sore throat, head kills, chills and fever, and my body feels like I volunteered to be a boxer's heavy bag. Nausea but no diarrhea (yet). Might end up just being the flu, or I might be one of the people that only has moderate symptoms. If I had the "can't breathe" symptoms, I'd be more worried.

Who would have thought we'd get to a point where hoping somebody has the flu would be a good thing  :P

Hope you bounce back fast Ben.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #507 on: November 23, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
You said you wanted people to stay home.

He wants other people to stay home  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #508 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »

There is a lot of that going around.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #509 on: November 23, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »
I woke up with a dry, scratchy throat this morning.  I think it's actually due to the change in weather (and relative humidity), but I went for a COVID test this morning anyway.  If I have COVID, I really need to know because of my activities at the community collage.  The test was free, and results take 24-48 hours.  Wish me luck!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #510 on: November 23, 2020, 01:03:17 PM »
"the community collage"

You're gluing everyone in your community onto a great big sheet of construction paper?

I've heard of interactive art, but that's... ambitious.  :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #511 on: November 23, 2020, 01:45:06 PM »
"the community collage"

You're gluing everyone in your community onto a great big sheet of construction paper?

It kind of defeats the whole social distancing thing.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #512 on: November 23, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
"the community collage"

They are all in it together

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #513 on: November 23, 2020, 01:54:16 PM »
I might finally qualify for this thread. I came down with almost every symptom (except loss of taste) of both the flu and the China virus last night. I went to the state's "crush the curve" assessment site this morning and FINALLY qualified to take the test (I had been interesting in knowing if I already had it, but never qualified for a test).

Gotta drive an hour to the site this morning. I could have had it done 30 minutes away, but that's a 4 day wait for results. Going to the main testing site, they'll let me know tomorrow.

Edit: Also, if you guys never hear from me again, it means that I stabbed myself in the brain.  =D

Having had a couple of those tests, It is my considered opinion that those "administer it to yourself" testing sites are a horrible idea.  Unless you have a *very* strange fetish a normal person isn't going to get that swab where it needs to be on themselves.  Good Luck.  FWIW, every nurse I know that has been nasopharyngeal swabbed agrees with me.  If you think you are there, you are about a cm short of the spot.  also don't forget the twirl.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: November 23, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
"the community collage"

=D  :P

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #515 on: November 23, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
"If you think you are there, you are about a cm short of the spot.  also don't forget the twirl."

Every time I read the description of the swab testing I have an involuntary shudder and I feel faint and nauseated...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #516 on: November 23, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »
"If you think you are there, you are about a cm short of the spot. Also don't forget to twirl."

That's what she said.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #517 on: November 23, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
My 56 year old cousin has it.  Low grade fever, congestion and mild body aches started We’d so he went and got tested.  Positive results and is feeling much better now.  We were fishing together 2 weeks ago and I had sinus congestion and itchy eyes then and chalked it up to allergies.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #518 on: November 23, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
Having had a couple of those tests, It is my considered opinion that those "administer it to yourself" testing sites are a horrible idea.  Unless you have a *very* strange fetish a normal person isn't going to get that swab where it needs to be on themselves.  Good Luck.  FWIW, every nurse I know that has been nasopharyngeal swabbed agrees with me.  If you think you are there, you are about a cm short of the spot.  also don't forget the twirl.

I didn't poke myself in the brain, but whether I did it right, I do not know. They have a nurse come out to your car and walk you through it. The swab has a marking on it and the nurse told me when it was in my nose far enough I guess because the mark disappeared. She told me to slowly and lightly go up far enough to meet resistance, then start twirling. It was up my nose far enough that my eyes watered when I twirled, so hopefully I got it far enough up there.

The 24 hours is now apparently 24-48, because we've had a rash of cases. Still better than the 4-7 day quotes for test sites closer to the house.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #519 on: November 23, 2020, 04:01:31 PM »
I didn't poke myself in the brain, but whether I did it right, I do not know. They have a nurse come out to your car and walk you through it. The swab has a marking on it and the nurse told me when it was in my nose far enough I guess because the mark disappeared. She told me to slowly and lightly go up far enough to meet resistance, then start twirling. It was up my nose far enough that my eyes watered when I twirled, so hopefully I got it far enough up there.

The 24 hours is now apparently 24-48, because we've had a rash of cases. Still better than the 4-7 day quotes for test sites closer to the house.

I just had another one today, must of changed a chemical or something on the swab, burned like something fierce up both nostrils.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #520 on: November 23, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »
"If you think you are there, you are about a cm short of the spot.  also don't forget the twirl."

Every time I read the description of the swab testing I have an involuntary shudder and I feel faint and nauseated...

I had one done before the 2nd shoulder surgery in June.  Until they pulled the drain out of my abdomen after my gallbladder 6 weeks later it was in strong contention for the single most unpleasant thing I've ever had to sit and endure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #521 on: November 23, 2020, 04:20:50 PM »

"Staying Home" from the beginning didn't mean lock yourself in your house and have food & sundries dropped off on your front porch. It meant don't participate in events where there is large groups of people and one is unable to social distance. Such as concerts, sporting events, crowded restaurants/bars, big weddings, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2020, 04:23:10 PM »

They're a fantastic idea. I specifically sought one out for my test, cause no way do I want anything shoved that far up my nose. My wife had already tested positive, so I was already quarantined.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2020, 04:37:21 PM »
"cause no way do I want anything shoved that far up my nose."

Why?

It's not like the probe is going to hit anything...  :rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #524 on: November 23, 2020, 05:04:38 PM »
"cause no way do I want anything shoved that far up my nose."

Why?

It's not like the probe is going to hit anything...  :rofl:

I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb. I'm smart and I want respect!

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife