Author Topic: The Golden Compass  (Read 20145 times)

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
Re: The Golden Compass
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »
Sigh... the hysteria gets tiring sometimes.

Several folks in my office have become self-appointed "information" dissiminators of the religious-hysteria kind.  They subscribe to every church and religious group newsletter known to modern man. We are constantly deluged with all kinds of notifications for some new satanic invasion via music/movie/tv/book/game.  From Pokemon to Popeye, Hannah Montana to heavy metal, and Dig Doug to Donkey Kong, we are going to spontaneously burst into flame at any given moment.

Oh teh noes!!!!  Christians exercising both freedom of religion AND free speach?  OFF TO THE CAMPS WITH THEM!

Jeez, you should have been around for the Rings / Narnia fiasco.  Someone (actually several someones) were circulating several "notices" about how watching Rings would reverse the earth's rotation, send you to hell, and cause cause little children in the farthest reaches of lower Africa to develop huge festering sores.  Why?  Well, lemme tell ya!  There's witches and warlocks and magic and creatures and it's just really really bad and we don't like it because someone sent us an email saying not to so why are you questioning us about it okay!?

Oh teh noes!!!!  Christians exercising both freedom of religion AND free speach AGAIN?  OFF TO THE OVENS WITH THEM!

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 01:22:10 PM »
I want to make a rule for those morons. 

Yes, I'm sure you would.  Too bad that whole "first amendment" thingee is in the way...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
Sigh... the hysteria gets tiring sometimes.

Several folks in my office have become self-appointed "information" dissiminators of the religious-hysteria kind.  They subscribe to every church and religious group newsletter known to modern man. We are constantly deluged with all kinds of notifications for some new satanic invasion via music/movie/tv/book/game.  From Pokemon to Popeye, Hannah Montana to heavy metal, and Dig Doug to Donkey Kong, we are going to spontaneously burst into flame at any given moment.

Oh teh noes!!!!  Christians exercising both freedom of religion AND free speach?  OFF TO THE CAMPS WITH THEM!

Jeez, you should have been around for the Rings / Narnia fiasco.  Someone (actually several someones) were circulating several "notices" about how watching Rings would reverse the earth's rotation, send you to hell, and cause cause little children in the farthest reaches of lower Africa to develop huge festering sores.  Why?  Well, lemme tell ya!  There's witches and warlocks and magic and creatures and it's just really really bad and we don't like it because someone sent us an email saying not to so why are you questioning us about it okay!?

Oh teh noes!!!!  Christians exercising both freedom of religion AND free speach AGAIN?  OFF TO THE OVENS WITH THEM!

Come down off your cross.  It's only built for one and he's already there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 01:28:49 PM »
Come down off the cross.  It's only built for one and someone's already there. 

Such as?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »

Come down off your cross.  It's only built for one and someone's already there.

Brad

Actually, there were THREE there, and no reason more couldn't be erected....

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »

Brad

So you're into crucifying those who don't agree with you?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 01:31:02 PM »
Rich, the song says, "There's room AT the cross for you," not "ON the cross."   smiley

But who's this guy who's on the cross right now, though? 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
I'm interested in seeing it, but I don't want my money going to make Pullman or the moviemakers pockets.....  angry

Solution: Buy a ticket to another movie & sneak into "Compass".... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Jeez, post about people taking things way too far and other people respond by taking things way too far.

How apropo.

Brad
-HankB

Iain

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »
Jeez, post about people taking things way too far and other people respond by taking things way too far.

I'm pretty sure this is an irrational reaction to the suggestion that we sneak into the movie, much as that is very naughty.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is an irrational reaction to the suggestion that we sneak into the movie, much as that is very naughty.

Hadn't even seen the "sneaker" post before writing that reply (was posted at the same time).  Go back a couple more posts.

Brad
-HankB

Iain

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
I was trying to lighten the mood. We'd just had insinuations of crucifixion.

Your Mike Irwin quote did make me laugh though.

Any chance that we could all consider most of this page Godwined and move on? Time perhaps to discuss gnosticism? Or the evils of CGI, don't care which.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 01:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Iain
Or the evils of CGI, don't care which.

Okay, but if anyone mentions how much they liked the "fixed" version of Star Wars, there's gonna be trouble...   angry

Brad

(back to the purpose of the thread, the CGI in Compass does look pretty amazing...)
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »
I've heard that part of the trilogy's plot involves God being killed.  Can anyone confirm or deny?  If so, is this regarded as good or bad? 

I'm interested in seeing it, but I don't want my money going to make Pullman or the moviemakers pockets.....  angry

Or, just rent it, when it comes off the new release shelf.  All they care about is how much it grosses in theatrical release.  How much of the rental even goes to Pullman or the producers, anyway?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »

Brad

Brad

Huh?  In context, richyoung was the one on the cross.  Chill, Brad. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
I've heard that part of the trilogy's plot involves God being killed.  Can anyone confirm or deny?  If so, is this regarded as good or bad? 

Or, just rent it, when it comes off the new release shelf.  All they care about is how much it grosses in theatrical release.  How much of the rental even goes to Pullman or the producers, anyway?

Why chance it?....  undecided
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:15 PM »

Brad

Brad

Huh?  In context, richyoung was the one on the cross.  Chill, Brad. 

Too late.  Already have.

Brad
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
Then keep an eye on the local used book stores, or score a used copy from the internet.  Easy enough. 

Iain

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 01:57:28 PM »
During the final battle, the Authority is carried away from the Clouded Mountain on the orders of Metatron. He is imprisoned in a crystal box, which keeps him alive but trapped. Lyra and Will free him with the subtle knife, not knowing he is too weak to survive outside his box. He drifts apart and dies in a moment of happiness and peace. In Pullman's universe, 'death' signifies becoming part of everything* (as did d?mons and the ghosts in The Amber Spyglass).

Taken from our own Authority - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authority_(His_Dark_Materials)#The_Authority

So that brings in to question all those 'and they kill God' objections I've heard.

* I didn't mention gnosticism randomly.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »
Going by Wiki, then, there is no actual God in the Dark Materials universe multiverse?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 02:34:56 PM »
Well I must be slow-witted. Having been raised Catholic (albeit fairly non-practicing nowadays), I didn't really see anything pro or anti religion in The Lord Of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia. I just watched them for the great entertainment value they provided me. Having seen the trailers for The Golden Compass, I will probably watch it for the same reason.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
Going by Wiki, then, there is no actual God in the Dark Materials universe multiverse?
There is The Authority - a Godlike figure who is first among angels, having claimed the title of 'God' long long ago in a galaxy far, far away.

This is the most direct Paradise Lost parallel - Satan claims that God has no authority because he didn't create the other angels, he just happened to exist first and seize power.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 03:19:37 PM »
Movie's not bad - starts out pretty slow, does a terrible job of explaining what's going on, and I wouldn't take children to see it by any stretch (lots of fighting, lots of killing - though it's handled so that young'uns might not know exactly) - and an armored bear fight that's way too hardcore for kids under nine or ten.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 03:21:39 PM »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »

Okay, but if anyone mentions how much they liked the "fixed" version of Star Wars, there's gonna be trouble...   angry

Brad

I, personally, like seeing Tie fighters sliding down their strings when on the attack. cheesy
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G