Author Topic: The Gimp Who Would Be God  (Read 1121 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Gimp Who Would Be God
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
http://takimag.com/article/stephen_hawking_the_gimp_who_would_be_god/print

A review of Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design.

Very entertaining and I heartily suggest it for the pleasure of reading it.

A few quotes, if you will:

...over twenty years ago in A Brief History of Time, Hawking still was willing to flirt with God...These days, Hawking seems willing—even eager—to erase God from his chalkboard entirely.

...my last formal instruction in science came during high school...I spent that formative teen era either masturbating or being a fundamentalist Christian—never simultaneously, because I was both a very good Christian and a very good masturbator...

It seems unimaginably mean to say this, but if Hawking truly had everything figured out, he’d be able to stand up and walk out of his motorized wheelchair. As expansive as his mind is, he seems to be reaching beyond his station in this case. In the end, his arms may be too atrophied to box with God.

The staunch theists and the hardcore atheists are merely a pair of buttocks surrounding the same ahole.

takimag is a paleoconservative mag with a definite style not seen in most political mags.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The Gimp Who Would Be God
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 05:43:40 AM »
What do you find pleasurable about it?

While the reviewer might be sort of funny I found his rantings somewhat vapid.
 Hinting at a severe lack of understanding of Hawking's writings and knowing that he does not posses the mental capabilities to understand it he is is bitter about it.
Lashing out and insulting Hawking with juvenile attacks based on his physical disabilities as a way to re-establish his superiority.

It is not endearing to me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:12:46 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:55:57 AM »

It is not endearing to me.

Agreed....Hawking's arguments may not meet the criteria demanded by the Scientific Method (or, for that matter, basic logic), but there's no reason to attack the man personally...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »
"but there's no reason to attack the man personally..."

That bothered me, too.

I delight in sarcasm when appropriate, but not when it's on a personal basis.  In this case, it was neither clever nor witty, merely snotty, in bad taste, and sophomoric.  Makes me wonder why those particular quotes from the review were selected.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:54:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.