Author Topic: The Great College Degree Scam, Quantified  (Read 24730 times)

grampster

• friend
Re: The Great College Degree Scam, Quantified
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
One of the advantages of being old, sentient and actually paying attention, one gains an understanding  that a fairly substantial number of institutionally educated folks lost touch with the reality that education can come from directions other than academia.    

I have had the distinct pleasure of being surrounded by highly classically educated folks and folks who are not, for most of my life.  Those people who were highly classically educated tend to be more narrow in their thinking and fairly unwilling to step outside that narrow thinking.  One would think that gaining a degree from a university would implant the notion of broadminded curiosity being a good thing.   Some of the most critical thinkers and broad minded people that I have known are those who walked away from institutional learning.  Several billionaires who have huge sweeping businesses that benefit millions of people live near me.  Most of them didn't even graduate high school.  In fact most of the successful people that I know are not degreed.  The trouble is, that a lot of smart, practical people who would be an asset to a company can't get hired on the basis of ability because the Human Resource departments are filled with educational elitists looking for a piece of paper rather than ability.  But maybe that is a blessing in disguise.  The bright undegreed go on to create new companies and keep the engine of America cranked up.

William F. Buckley was fond of saying that he'd rather be governed by the first 1000 people in the Boston phone book than the dons of Harvard.  Perhaps we should make it a requirement that anyone running for office only have a high school education.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:56:22 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Meh.  Have you seen the quality of HS educations lately?  I'm pretty sure that would have the opposite effect of what you're looking for.

I think a better thing would be simply to diversify who we elect to hold office.  Currently, the vast majority of congress critters are lawyers, the most powerful of which were mostly educated at a handful of elite ivy-league colleges, as were many presidents.  Maybe we need to start electing more engineers, physicists, business people, etc. who were trained outside of the ivy league.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 11:23:18 PM »
What a great idea. You could call it "diversity"

Oh wait, that word is now newspeak for something close to the opposite of its traditional meaning.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

One would think that gaining a degree from a university would implant the notion of broadminded curiosity being a good thing
Unfortunately that's not something you can learn. if you enter college narrowminded chances are you'll leave that way too. I'll tell you what, I went into the service after HS because I knew the GI bill was the only way I was ever going to get to college. For 5 years I waited, longing for the day when I could go to college and surround myself with academia. When I finally got there you know what I found out? There was none. Except for a handful of students, mostly us older ones who were paying our own way through, it was all about the party. Even with supposedly strict attendance rules I watched my classes double on exam days filling with kids you only saw on exam day. So to me, a degree means nothing. It's the individual behind the degree I'm interested in.

Another surprise to me. Working on the CD and getting to know a myriad of big name musicians I found out that even in the music business narrowmindedness abounds. You would think musicians, especially JAZZ musicians, would be all about experimenting with music and broadening it's scope. Not so. it is VERY hard to get them outside of whatever box they've put themselves in. It came as a bit of a shock. and a disappointment as well.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »
. . . "...approximately 60 percent of the increase in the number of college graduates from 1992 to 2008 worked in jobs that the BLS considers relatively low skilled—occupations where many participants have only high school diplomas and often even less."

IOW, folks are spending 5 years and thousands of dollars to get a bachelor's degree that provides zero improvement in their employment prospects.
There are some scientific degrees that will open few doors - for example, there's more call for chemical engineers than astronomers - but a good rule of thumb is that low effort degrees mean low job prospects.

So if your degree is in art history, women's/ethnic studies, medieval French poetry, or any of a number of other non-technical, non-medical fields, with few exceptions, your job choices are pretty much limited to academia or food service. ("Do you want fries with that burger?")

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »
I'll say one thing for degrees in music, acting and dance. They are the only degrees I am aware of where you are required to perform in front of an audience as part of your final exam. I'm not sure about the other fields but for musicians we also had "juries" where we had to perform in front of the music dept FACULTY as part of the finals as well. You don't pass the juries, you're done.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 12:56:08 PM by 280plus »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
So if your degree is in art history, women's/ethnic studies, medieval French poetry, or any of a number of other non-technical, non-medical fields, with few exceptions, your job choices are pretty much limited to academia or food service. ("Do you want fries with that burger?")

If you took art history because you thought it was a low-effort degree, you deserve food service as a job.

Of course,  if you took ANYTHING for that reason, you deserve food service as a job.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »
heh, last semester, SUPPOSEDLY I had all my requirements filled except the math(per my useless adviser). I took the math course, 2 - 400 psychs and I figured I needed an easy one for my 4th class to lighten the load because those 3 were serious heavies so I took a 200 literature course. Turns out I had to read 11 novels and write a report on each one for my "easy" class. Yea, that was a tough semester.  :P

don

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
The OP mentioned Charles Murray's book Real Education. I highly recommend it.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »
I wonder how many of the "underemployed" graduates have degrees in things like "African-American Angst Studies" and "Womyn's Literature." And who suddenly, after being booted free from the universities where the professors teaching those courses did nothing but talk them up, have discovered that they are now underqualified for Starbucks...

Blog under construction

don

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
Remove the BS courses and a college degree can,for most majors, be completed in about one half the time. IMO the idea of a classical education is largely a waste of time. These courses should have been covered in high school.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
Remove the BS courses and a college degree can,for most majors, be completed in about one half the time. IMO the idea of a classical education is largely a waste of time. These courses should have been covered in high school.

But then how would colleges make any money?  :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 10:10:42 PM »

Unfortunately, they weren't.  Look at the number of college graduates who can't even manage spelling and grammar at a sixth grade level long enough to write a cover letter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »
THe simple trick is this:

Make college harder.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 02:36:29 AM »
I know you're succesful in your endeavours, I never implied otherwise. I was merely pointing out problems with the system wherein people base their life around never leaving the isolated and sheltered world of the university. Doing undergrad to get to Masters, Master's to get to Doctorate, Doctorate to stay in the university teaching other people. It's a highly incestuous system, that prepares it's students more for staying in the fairyland of academia than for pursuits in the wider world of jobs that produce something other than little slips of paper saying you've fulfilled the arbitrary paper slip requirements.

That's why I skipped Go, collected $200, and went straight to doctorate. They can keep their BS (pun alert!) and masters degrees!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 04:07:15 AM »
Again.

Make college harder.

Flunk more people. Alternatively, encourage people to quit when it is too hard for them.

I am one of those liberal wimps who believe that anybody who's not suffering from a mental deficiency can learn if they put their mind to it and they re properly taught. However, all too often this correct sentiment is turned into a system that simply forgives people's failures in an attempt to avoid confrontation and to avoid seeming 'formalistic'.

You're a third-year student in English studies and you don't know what a paragraph is? GTFO.

You're a fourth-year General History student and you've never read Burkhardt? GTFO.

No mercy. No quarter.

I understand the need  to maintain a cadre of undergrad students. This does not mean we must allow the system to corrupt itself.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »
Dare I retell the story of how I was ruining the bell curve in Phys Sci 101 by getting high 90's on the exams and a student approached me and asked me to not do so good on the final? I pulled a 98 on the final. Missed "subduction." At the end of the thing I was the only one to hit up the professor on which question I missed. She says, "YOU want to know the answer of the one question you missed?" Then she goes, "Of course you do."  :lol:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
You're a third-year student in English studies and you don't know what a paragraph is? GTFO.

Considering that we covered paragraphs somewhere around third or fourth grade, that person shouldn't have a HS diploma to get into college with.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
Make college harder.

Flunk more people. Alternatively, encourage people to quit when it is too hard for them.

Agreed.  However, I still don't get how the above jibes with the following:

I am one of those liberal wimps who believe that anybody who's not suffering from a mental deficiency can learn if they put their mind to it and they re properly taught.

It sounds like you don't believe that it actually gets too hard for them.  Moreover, American-style egalitarianism tends to get squicky when you toss people out for not having been taught properly.  Equal opportunity and all that.  So, does this result in only flunking out the people really just don't care?

That alone might go a long way.  Trouble is, a lot of people really, really do care.  They care about getting the piece of paper that is supposed to make their lives better or they care about some namby-pamby non-intellectual goal e.g. the law student who really wants to convict sex offenders because her dad was an expert at bad touches, the psychology student who was oh-so-misunderstood in high school and wants to be a school counselor to prevent future teen-aged angst the world over, the pre-med student who really, really, really wants a Jaguar.  Those are fine goals and motivations, all of them, but while they might be enough to keep someone up all night memorizing metabolic pathways or breaking her teeth on Freud or outlining all the cases in the casebook and in the notes, they aren't enough to foster a deeper understanding of the field, of its more abstract concepts, of the margins of workability for solving particular problems.

author=Phantom Warrior link=topic=27290.msg534270#msg534270 date=1292317635I respect people that go into humanities because they have a genuine interest in history (which I do like) or literature because they want to write (or love literature) or woman's studies because they want to study the history and culture of women.  Good for them.  What bothers me is people that study philosophy who are snotty and pretentious or people that study women's studies because they are man haters or people that study literature so they can talk about the post-pre-modern-neoclassical-monohistorical deconstruction of some really crappy literature.  Blecch.

I also respect people who have a genuine interest in history, literature, or women's studies.  But I don't think that's enough.  Heck, I don't even mind if a philosopher is snotty and pretentious or a woman's studies scholar hates men--as long as he is a good philosopher or she is a good women's studies scholar.  But it is not enough to have the opinions/motivations (pleasant or unpleasant though we may find them) and the interest and to put in the time to learn the field and earn the degree.  One must also have the ability to add something to it.  There must be well-developed skills and abilities to analyze issues.  There must be an ability to see the invisible and to not only face the unpleasant or distasteful (y'know, like the fact that women *still* need men to make more baby women, and haven't yet come up with a good mechanism for keeping them caged  :P ), but to build it into their scholarly work.  

If you hand out PhD's to everyone who is well-motivated (righteously or not) and who actually does the work, then you end up with a whole lot of BAs, BSs, MAs, MSs, PhDs, MDs, JDs, <insert alphabet soup degree denotation here> who have credentials but who cannot really do their jobs.  You end up with the following:

1) A law student who is really good at digging up cases trying to apply a grandparents' rights case to a CPS action.  All attempts to explain that grandparents' rights cases have, for the protection of parents and children, all been tightly restricted to specific sets of facts, and therefore do not apply at all fail.  All attempts to explain that administrative law procedures are in fact going to be the framework for any action at a particular phase in a case, because if you want to bring a civil rights action in Federal court, you need to actually show jurisdiction and standing all those good things, similarly fail.  All attempts to explain that no, no, rules of ethics really do apply, even when you don't think they are fair.  That guy just COULD NOT grasp some very basic but abstract concepts of law.  He clearly had a high IQ--very high LSAT scores--but completely sucked at analyzing and applying abstract concepts, like how civil rights CAN always be an issue, but not everything that is a right is always a right in every situation.  The combination of high intelligence and lack of abstract reasoning skills, plus some other oddities, makes me think this particular guy has asperger's or similar. I'm sure there's some mentally demanding field where his particular brand of intelligence is helpful, but it ain't general practice of law.

2) A doctor who follows a simple flow chart for treating everything, whether it works or no.  One of the blogs I read from time to time is by a respiratory therapist who very frequently runs into doctors who treat any shortness of breath with a nebulized bronchodilator.  It's not particularly harmful, most of the time, but it often cannot possibly help the actual problem.  Similarly, doctors who either constantly or never use antibiotics for viral infections: When dealing with one of the most complex systems that people regularly meddle in, it's problematic to put things in the hands of someone who can only think linearly.  Even if he put in the hours to pass his classes.  I personally ended up getting badly hurt by this kind of medicine--by a couple doctors who kept working through the flowchart for treating one condition, never bothering to think, for years, that perhaps the reason that process had either no effect or a negative effect was that they were following the wrong flowchart.  

3) A psychologist who sees child abuse everywhere.  Depression, anxiety, defiance, autism, eating disorders: all are the fault of mean ol' mom who didn't love her kids enough, or mean ol' dad who beat them all the time.  I have personal experience with a parent making what I--and most people--consider horrible decisions that unjustifiably hurt their kids.  I know that I am not alone in this.  Yet, I can see some good things that my parents have done and on balance don't consider them terrible parents.  I know I'm not alone in this either.  But I know that there are many psychologists who can't make the distinction between a parent having made a bad decision and a parent being horribly, irredeemably abusive.  They can't seem to grasp the complexities involved in parenting or in life.  It's all limited to their judgment based on their own experience.

4) A historian who is not only interested in researching his specific field, but is interested only in validating his own preconceived notions of whatever. All evidence becomes either validating or not evidence.  This often leads to outright fakery--ignoring obviously vital and reliable sources in favor of shaky, incomplete, obscure sources, without acknowledging what one is doing.  I'm not of the school that believes that history should not judge, and I don't think anyone anymore believes that modern history must consider all the sources, but it also should be about learning and discovering, not validating.  If one does not have the intellectual agility to understand the opposition, to take the sources as given, to build an opinion that deals with discordant ideas instead of dismissing or outright ignoring them, then I don't care whether one can recite the fundamental works of Burkhardt, Ranke, Hegel, and Braudel from memory, one doesn't have the ability to contribute to the field.  Now, a good friend of mine is a history adjunct.  He is very, very ideologically driven, a staunchly conservative Catholic who, in any other time, would be a monk.  His historical writings are very ideologically driven, but he's also well-versed in all sides of his fields, but only in his religious writings does he dismiss the sides he disagrees with.  In his historical writings, all sides are thoroughly addressed.  That is the mark of a scholar: one who perhaps can write polemic based strong and well-grounded opinions, but chooses not to do so within the academy.

However, all too often this correct sentiment is turned into a system that simply forgives people's failures in an attempt to avoid confrontation and to avoid seeming 'formalistic'.

Agreed.  Often the problem is an inability to be creative on a level more advanced than "I like purple and yellow together1 Aren't I just the most uniquest snowflake evar?" and yet we don't flunk 'em out because somehow having objective standards isn't accepting enough of their unique snowflake-dom.

You're a third-year second-term student in English studies and you don't know what a paragraph is? GTFO.

Ftfy.  I'll give a pass on the first term.  Maybe.  In a community college.  People who can't write paragraphs in the language of instruction (with possible exceptions for non-native speakers in technical subjects where language is slightly less vital) do not belong in college.  They don't belong in an academic track in high school.  Yeah, like MillCreek, I'm a fan of the German system.  

You're a fourth-year General History student and you've never read Burkhardt? GTFO.

Or for that matter, a first year history student and you CAN'T read Burkhardt.  

If you can't read, you don't belong in a history program.  If you can't multiply, you don't belong in a science program.  We have all sorts of remedial options--adult community education, community colleges--for people who are lacking these basic skills.

But it requires the ability too.  Sure, I'll allow that absent intellectual disability, anyone can learn to write a paragraph or do basic arithmetic.  But not everyone has the ability to become a competent scholar, doctor, lawyer, or scientist.  In the above scenarios, those people all had the motivation and put in the time and learned most of the skills, but they are lacking a vital ability to analyze and resolve complex problems.  

IQ is a good, but not a flawless measure of this.  If you have a below average IQ, you probably do not belong in college.  This does not equate to how worthy one is generally.  Whether one has the ability to do well in college has exactly zilch to do with personal worthiness.  But someone who doesn't have the ability to do well in college, goes to college anyway, goes to grad school anyway, and then works as a doctor, lawyer, scientist, or scholar, and heals, advocates, analyzes, writes, or teaches incompetently is probably a less worthy human being in the grand scheme of things than the average highly competent foodservice worker.  

One of the several reasons I didn't go to grad school is I couldn't seem to learn German adequately.  My mentor considered a good grasp of academic German vital to being a good historian.  Many would have encouraged me to simply study American history, simply because it's more acceptable to not have any languages.  I decided I'd rather not be a historian than be an incompetent historian, or a historian who landed in a field because it would be easier for me, although I think those are probably the same thing.  One of the reasons you, Micro, are imho, more likely than most to actually land a tenure-track job in the US is that you have languages, which differentiates you from the vast numbers of PhD's who chose American history because they lacked the will or the intellectual capacity to learn languages.  Of course today, I probably could learn German, so it just goes to show something-or-other.

No mercy.

A lot of mercy.  It is not kind to allow people who muddle through degree after degree, leading to the inevitable result of either un/underemployment or underperformance.  It is cowardice.  We're too afraid to say no.  It's that American egalitarianism again, but equal opportunity ought to stop meaning we don't acknowledge different ability levels.  

Of course, the problem with stating that anyone can succeed academically (and at any level, primary, secondary, undergrad, grad school, etc) is not only that it's clearly wrong, but also that people who don't have the ability to function on a highly intellectual level gravitate to intellectual fields because they look easy, they look interesting, they look flexible, they look like they respect the individual far more than a foodservice, factory, health care, or retail job.  They mostly aren't and don't, but if one isn't driven by the abstract and complex, it's very difficult to see that.  This is why the gatekeepers of academe should be keeping out people who don't have the ability to excel in their field.  Those most likely to be very confident about their abilities and driven by the desire to develop a career in it are least likely to have the actual ability to do well in it.  But everything is a marketing course, every classroom a business school, and except for the outliers on the far left side of the bell curve, the wash-outs are pretty close to random.  

It's nice to say that everyone has abilities, and then turn average people into low-functioning imitations of scholars, but that means that people with much greater intellectual abilities get shut out on a regular basis.  As someone who regularly relies on the skills and abilities of scholarly professionals, this concerns me.

Finally, I've said it before and I've said it again:  I have a real problem with a clearly gifted intellectual stating that anyone can achieve on his level if only they'd really, really try. This reeks of hubris.  No.  They can't.  Not measuring up to your or my level of academic/intellectual achievement is not an indicator of a weak will.  It may be an indicator of a weak will or of a lack of interest.  It may also be an indicator of average, below average, or merely slightly above average intelligence.  Low or average intelligence is not a character flaw.  Lack of willpower is.  Multiply-degree intellectuals should not be sitting round patting themselves on the back for having a stronger will than ordinary people, but should be sitting around humbly appreciating their gifts and doing the best they can to do the best job they can in their chosen field.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:05:21 AM by BridgeWalker »

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »
I have a real problem with a clearly gifted intellectual stating that anyone can achieve on his level if only they'd really, really try. This reeks of hubris.  No.  They can't.

But one would think that an average person could learn to read and write adequately, and actually practice those skills while in college.

Is it too much to ask for a student to actually read the chapter assignment before coming to class?  ;/

In many of my accounting classes, I was actually 20 points or so above the next student.  But I did work pretty hard at it, including actually doing homework.

I had an elderly general studies professor lamenting about the quality of the then current students.  As an older student, I agreed with him and mostly found college little harder than HS 20 years before.  But I wanted to point out to him that he had literally taught these students teachers, as the school I went to was still primarily a teachers' college.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
Finally, I've said it before and I've said it again:  I have a real problem with a clearly gifted intellectual stating that anyone can achieve on his level if only they'd really, really try. This reeks of hubris.  No.  They can't.  Not measuring up to your or my level of academic/intellectual achievement is not an indicator of a weak will

I'm not gifted.  And that's okay.

Academia does not only need excellent people – Braudel, and Foucault, and Burkhardt. Academia needs the thousands of academic footsoldiers that do doctorates on men's shoes in the 18th century. And dozens of thousands of teaching assistants. And high-school history teachers with master's degrees in History who still take a course or two at the local college and keep up with the debates in the field, like some people I know.

Look, the principle is simple.

I believe an average person can read Burkhardt. Burkhardt's stile is easy to comprehend. An average person can read and understand Strauss, and Russel, and before you know, he can clamber through a basic course in the history of ideas. And professors and educators have it as their duty to educate as many people as possible.

But the thought process should be: “Hey, we're teaching something that people could learn if we taught properly and they studied properly. Let's adjust our process, let's teach people how to study properly.” That's not what academia does. All too often, the thought process is “Hey, we're teaching something and people are flunking, let's just make it easier for them to pass. Let's make it possible for people to retake courses over and over until they pass. Let's make it possible for people to spread their studies out over six, seven years for te Bachelor's degree, and study at four hours a week, and pretend that's okay.”

That. Is. Not. The same. Thing.

One of these things helps students, one of them harms students and everybody else around them.

Imagine, if you will, I were to teach you driving, and for some reason you were not comprehending my instruction. I could try a different tack in teaching you, or send you to a different driving school, or fail you. There's a difference between “hey, let's try a different tack” and saying “hey, Bridgewalker really, but really wants to drive, let's pass her even though she doesn't know her right from her left.” The former would be doing you a favor, the latter would be putting you and everybody else in your car or on the road in mortal danger.

I am not a fan of the German system – for a variety of reasons – but that's not my point here.

What is needed is to establish a set of requirements and help people get across them, not weaken the requirements to the point where it's meaningless.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »
What is needed is to establish a set of requirements and help people get across them, not weaken the requirements to the point where it's meaningless.

Part of a stricter set of requirements IS failing students. Many more are capable of understanding in the way we teach than those who ultimately do learn. These don't learn because they know they don't have to try. Failing people is necessary to encourage learning.

As BW said, some are simply incapable. They should be encouraged to find other avenues that better suit them. Some are lazy. They should be failed and offered avenues that better suit their temperment or should take the failure as an opportunity to grow and stop being lazy.

Either way, the problem isn't the work. It's lazy students, lazy teachers, and lax standards for both.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Speaking to the Liberal Arts degree thing.

I graduated in 2009 with a BA in Humanities from BJU. But honestly my classical education started WAY before that. My parents sacraficed to put me in an excellent private school through 6th grade and then we homeschooled while we were traveling US side and while we were in ZA for four years.

If I had to guess I actually had what would pass for a college-level education in many places by the time I was 15 (not counting any trade classes).

Being academically minded and wanting to keep my options open, I picked Humanities as a degree and was thinking about doing post-grad in History, English, or Law. Which would have been fine as long as my GPA stayed in the 3.5 range (it didn't). Also keep in mind I started school in 2004, when you could still get a million dollar loan without owning a suit and local businesses were hiring ANYONE with a degree. Of course by the time I graduated in 2009 with the afore-mentioned Humanities degree, the degree itself was just about worthless for securing a job except to say "I spent 4 years of my life in school, please applaud my resolve. (and it did take resolve.)

So what saved my lazy butt, that graduated with a 2.5 GPA and no grad school prospects whatsoever? Not that I was looking for one. I was sick of school.

Well I was lucky enough to have spent 5 years in the campus IT department doing basic helpdesk work. So I wasn't making a fortune right out of school but I was employable. And I've gone up from there, praise the Lord.

I guess the upshot of all that is...I pretty much discourage kids from getting a Liberal Arts degree. If they must, make it history or a REAL English program. (The one at my school was extremely rigorous and devoid of all the PC nonsense). Or learn some kind of useful trade in the mean time.

I count myself fortunate to be a well rounded person AND an employed one.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »
That's another pet peeve of mine. The creation of "general humanities" , "general"  etc. degrees that end up providing no education at all.