Author Topic: the girls are at summercamp  (Read 1216 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
the girls are at summercamp
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
both of my girls are attending 4h summercamp this week.  for big girl it is her 3rd year going overnight, and the second year of daycamp for the little. we are lucky as they have a great local program, and it is fairly inexpensive as camps go.  most of what they do focuses on outdoorsy stuff including archery and basic rifle skills.  swimming and crafts are included as well.  the house seems rather more empty this year.   :'(
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: the girls are at summercamp
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:28:24 PM »
Do they get to ride horses?   :cool:   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
unfortunately they had to give up the horses some time ago to keep the costs down.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
unfortunately they had to give up the horses some time ago to keep the costs down.

Bummer  =(

Little girls and horses go together like, uh - little girls and horses.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
I never did the straight 4H camp but I will say that Shooting Camp was TEH AWESOME!

ahh... The joys they have to look forward too.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Bummer  =(

yea, my big girl loves them and has an arrangement with a local stable to trade chores for lessons.  I've always heard, better horses than boys!  :laugh:

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »
My oldest wasnat 7 Ranges Boy Scout Camp a couple of weeks ago.  Earned Lifesaving, Environmental Science, and Emergency Preparedness Merit Badges.  Had to build a Bug Out Kit for the family.  No guns and ammo, but a good way to get a 13 year old thinking about being ready for what could happen.  He spent lots of time on the ranges, and wants to do Archery next summer.

Youngest is halfway through a 19 day trip to the U.K. with People to People.  He'snlearning independence the hard way, but having a great experience.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
yea, my big girl loves them and has an arrangement with a local stable to trade chores for lessons.  I've always heard, better horses than boys!  :laugh:

Not for your wallet.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 08:43:51 PM »

You should realize that horses are simply another means to meet boys.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
You should realize that horses are simply another means to meet boys.

Actually, no. Boys are a rare and elisuive quarry at barns.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »

Why didn't I know that back when I was 18 ?  :facepalm:

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

I keep saying that if some of the young single guys want a good place to pick up active, healthy young woman who don't mind getting dirty, getting riding lessons is a great place to start.
Bonus points for going to an English barn where they wear breeches.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:35 PM »
I keep saying that if some of the young single guys want a good place to pick up active, healthy young woman who don't mind getting dirty, getting riding lessons is a great place to start.
Bonus points for going to an English barn where they wear breeches.

I was interested in horses back then, but it just wasn't very high up on my radar, except for the fact that I had this teenage dream of being a mountain man / saddle tramp  =)

The English stuff wouldn't have caught my interest, breeches notwithstanding.

So I got off tracked to other things and the years went by.  We actually were considering draft horses for logging at one time, though.

Funny, it was Ladypine and the Twinpines that got us into horses in middle life after we moved out into the pineywood hills.  And now, I'm the "expert" rider in the family and Ladypine is just starting back up again after some unfortunate events.  Both girls have a horse though - one the gelding that we raised and I trained, and the other the cutting QH mare that she bought out of HS.

Maybe someday we will ride the trails together ...  =|

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 11:33:17 PM »

Never done the rodeo circuit have you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
Never done the rodeo circuit have you.

There's a young man that I know, his age is twenty-one ....

;)

(I sing it the other way of course)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »
Not for your wallet.

so far we have that worked out. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
so far we have that worked out. 

Give it time, Barn Daddy.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:53 PM »

Ok, so you wasted a lot of time, but at least you discovered a love for horses.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
Bummer  =(

That's the great thing about owning a Great Dane mix, if our daughters ever ask for a pony we already have one.  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
and with all the mini's out there you should be able to find a saddle that fits!