Author Topic: The Great Films Series: Battlefield Earth  (Read 1114 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Great Films Series: Battlefield Earth
« on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:51 PM »
Welcome to another installment of the Great Films Series.  Tonight, we'll be discussing the masterful film adaptation of L. Ron Hubard's classic, "Battlefield Earth." 

Ever since this movie came out, I've heard tales of how bad it stunk.  Naturally, then, I wanted to see it.  I just picked it up for a negligible price, and watched it over the course of my long weekend.  This experience has been very important for me, in that it has caused a major shift in my view of the world.  Watching this film convinced me that there is no God.  Or at least that no loving deity would allow such a terrible thing. 

No, wait, that happened back when I saw John Q.  Don't worry, Battlefield Earth isn't John Q. horrible.  And it's not much worse than a lot of action-adventure flicks.  It took itself way too seriously, the Psychlos were too ugly and too fake to take seriously.  And why were they always wearing dusters?  They insisted on using the same cute little transition EVERY SINGLE TIME they went to a different scene.  And I don't know what was up with Travolta's performance.  Was he just off his game, or was the character supposed to look that stupid?  And it was too bloody long.  And you can't train cavemen to fly fighter jets in two weeks, people.  Can't do it. 

I'm sure there are some other brave souls who've seen this movie, and most of you can fillet it better than I can.  Have at.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Phyphor

• friend
Re: The Great Films Series: Battlefield Earth
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »
I read the book.

Never seen the whole movie, just the jump jet parts

But after reading the book, I really wish there was a Brain Spinrite, because it's definitely caused damage.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »
L. Ron Hubard. Think about it. This is the smartest man of all time. He wrote up a story and then called it a religion, actually got people to believe it in large numbers, and then got them to give him a whole lot of money.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 05:36:32 AM »
The book wasn't as horrible as some of the required reading in high school English classes . . . in fact, it wasn't nearly as bad as L. Ron Hubbard's Invasion Earth series of books. (Can't speak for the whole series, as I didn't even get halfway through the first volume before flinging that tripe across the room.)

The movie wasn't as bad as Zardoz.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:51:03 AM »
I liked the "Mission Earth" decology. Battlefield Earth was an OK movie. Something to rent on DVD for a slow night.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:07:07 AM »
My only other experience was an abridged book on tape.  It was easier to follow than the book. 

(I meant the movie.) Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:06:17 AM »
I liked the BE book.  I never saw the movie, on advice of wise moviegoers.

I can not it or any other movie being as bad as Liquid Sky, however. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »
The book wasn't as horrible as some of the required reading in high school English classes . . . in fact, it wasn't nearly as bad as L. Ron Hubbard's Invasion Earth series of books. (Can't speak for the whole series, as I didn't even get halfway through the first volume before flinging that tripe across the room.)

Yea, that was pretty much a massive advertisement for the Church of Scientology.

I read that WHOLE damned series, thinking "C'mon, it's got to get better.... " when I was 15....

Needless to say, it didn't get better.

B:E the novel wasn't the worst thing I ever read, but damned nearly.

The whole "secret base in the clouds" bit just really slew suspension of disbelief for me, not to mention tribals figuring out advanced weaponry in a few months time.

Hell, Zardoz had the advantage of being taken as a comedy, in a way.  It even got a recap on agonybooth.com

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

beatnik

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »

But Zardoz gets points for coming up with the idea of teaching calculus with sex.

Maybe I wouldn't have had to take it three times....