Author Topic: Thousands protest haredi violence in Jerusalem  (Read 4264 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Thousands protest haredi violence in Jerusalem
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »
Thousands protest haredi violence in Jerusalem

Seculars, religious march in capital Saturday night to protest ultra-Orthodox coercion. 'We are facing danger that threatens not only Jerusalem, but Israeli society at large,' secular Jerusalem activist says
Ronen Medzini

Thousands of secular and religious Jerusalemites and out-of-towners rallied in the capital Saturday to protest ultra-Orthodox violence and coercion.

The protesters marched from Paris Square to Zion Square in the Jerusalem city'center under the banner: "Iran is here – we're sick of haredi violence."

Haredi rioters should be detained and indicted, Knesset Member Nitzan Horowitz (Meretz) said during the protest.

"One time it's a parking lot, another time it's Intel, and in another case it's the Pride Parade," he said. "These are merely excuses for shows of force, violence, and coercion."

"I would love to raise my two small children in a city where they would have the legitimacy to do whatever their faith commands them," Yehonatan Alazar, a religious local, told Ynet.

"It's unheard of that a small group will dictate everyone's actions and cause them to leave town. What bothers me about the struggle against Intel is that (haredim) are forcing others to desecrate the Shabbat, just as they do themselves. Their interest is not the Shabbat, but rather, the power struggle in Jerusalem," he said.

"We are facing a danger that threatens not only Jerusalem, but Israeli society at large. People gathered here from across the country because they realized this danger can reach them too, and they want to put an end to religious coercion," said Merav Cohen from the Awakening In Jerusalem movement.

"It's nice to see so many people care about this city and are willing to fight for Jerusalem's freedom," she added.

'Enough carrying haredim on our backs' (Photo: Gil Yohanan)

Avital Livni, which held a sign that read "Enough carrying haredim on our backs" said, "we live in a country where a whole sector of society refuses to serve in the military...extorts money from the government and doesn't pay their taxes.

"It doesn't make sense that Torah students receive tuition while med students have to pay for their studies, and then they have the nerve to force their rules upon the rest of the nation," she said.

"This protest proves that the battle for Jerusalem is not lost. Just like we were the victors in the battle to open the cinemas and Karta parking lot on Shabbat, we will win the Intel battle as well," said Jerusalem's deputy mayor Joseph "Pepe" Alalu.

"The residents of Jerusalem are not indifferent, and will not give up on a pluralistic city. It's time haredim understand that this city must provide the needs of the free people," he said.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3811967,00.html

Micro Sez: MOAR. We need MOAR.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Thousands protest haredi violence in Jerusalem
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
So what exactly tipped them over the edge?  How come now?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
The Haredim have been staging their riots/protests every week to shut down the Intel plant in the area.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
The Haredim have been staging their riots/protests every week to shut down the Intel plant in the area.

What, have they got a (properly shorn) hard on for AMD and can't abide the other major competitor?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
What, have they got a (properly shorn) hard on for AMD and can't abide the other major competitor?

The Intel plant works 7 days a week.

Clearly this is a justification to break in and desecrate the synagogue on the plant's premises.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:10:44 PM »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
Just like we were the victors in the battle to open the cinemas and Karta parking lot on Shabbat

I don't know what a Karta parking lot is, but please tell me they're not trying to inspire people with something as trivial as getting to go to movies on Saturday.  Yawn. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
IT's quite inspiring when you have a wannabe 'Modesty Patrol' roaming the streets, beating down on people who're dressed in the wrong clothes, or when people are trying to stone you for driving your car on Saturday.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
IT's quite inspiring when you have a wannabe 'Modesty Patrol' roaming the streets, beating down on people women who're dressed in the wrong clothes, or when people are trying to stone you for driving your car on Saturday.

Ftfy.  They'd never attack people.

Well, not for their clothes.  Just for, y'know, existing and going about their business.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
IT's quite inspiring when you have a wannabe 'Modesty Patrol' roaming the streets, beating down on people who're dressed in the wrong clothes**, or when people are trying to stone you for driving your car on Saturday.
This kind of thuggery would not be tolerated in Texas, where many people - including women! - carry firearms.

** - We don't tolerate mutaween here.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:32:54 AM »
This kind of thuggery would not be tolerated in Texas, where many people - including women! - carry firearms.

A whole lot of the stuff that's done in Israel on a routine basis would probably cause Texans to take to the rooftops.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »
I don't know what a Karta parking lot is, but please tell me they're not trying to inspire people with something as trivial as getting to go to movies on Saturday.  Yawn. 

Freedom is inspiring.  Whether it's facing down self-proclaimed moral police, standing against religious leaders who mace women who refuse to walk where they are told to walk, or going to the movies on Saturday. 

It is trivial to you, because you have that freedom.  What would YOU do if some religious folks tried to force you to comply with their religious beliefs regarding what you could do on your free time?   

Heh.  You are aware the haredi morality police apparently targeted US citizens, along with the local lady folk and secular folks?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »

Heh.  You are aware the haredi morality police apparently targeted US citizens, along with the local lady folk and secular folks?

This is why I belive that, when visiting a foreign country, your first stop after you leave the airport should be to the local hardware store for "supplies"....self-defense doesn't stop at the US border....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

Considering the lack of stories about heredi getting shot or beaten in the local fish wrap, I suspect they are content to leave such antics to their fellows in Israel. 

How large are these groups of haredi enforcers in Israel?  Given what I have read from MB, I suspect they don't have .mil training.  What's to prevent folks from getting frisky and "doing unto others?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 10:30:07 AM »
It is trivial to you, because you have that freedom.  What would YOU do if some religious folks tried to force you to comply with their religious beliefs regarding what you could do on your free time?   

Meh.  I think we've had similar laws in the U.S., in times past.  But I guess you've gotta use whatever accomplishments you've got. 

Seems kinda weird you keep pointing out that they're religious leaders.  I guess some people think the religious motive makes it worse?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
Maybe I can field that one.

Whenever someone uses their religious beliefs to excuse rabidly antisocial behavior, I find myself offended on behalf of the religion they claim.

Attacking people while hiding behind your faith is, to me at least, disgusting.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 11:26:44 AM »
But is that worse than justifying one's actions with a secular belief system (the right to health care, law-and-order, racial nonsense, etc.)?

It seems to me we always want to keep religion in some special category.  I think religion should be treated no differently than any other set of ideas, be it philosophy or political theories. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
Seems kinda weird you keep pointing out that they're religious leaders.  I guess some people think the religious motive makes it worse?

Not worse.  But worth an ounce of extra attention.  Hoodlums are incapable of organization to cause significant trouble.  No such restrictions apply to ideologies. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

Clearly this is a justification to break in and desecrate the synagogue on the plant's premises.

Clearly!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »

Is there a word in Hebrew for 'irony'?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 03:35:51 AM »
said Jerusalem's deputy mayor Joseph "Pepe" Alalu.

Pepe?

Also, I think most of the things the haredi do are grounds for outrage, regardless of why they do them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:54 AM »
Why isn't the SPLC protesting this blatant anti-Semitism?

(2nd choice, full Godwin:  You know who else dressed in black clothes beat Jews in the streets?)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."