Author Topic: Can you get a graduate degree from West Point?  (Read 13860 times)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Can you get a graduate degree from West Point?
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:36:58 AM »
I'm an active duty joe (enlisted guy), but I already have my Bachelor's degree.  I'm debating some path to comissioning.  Yeah, I know about OCS already.  That's my most likely plan.  I'm just curious if I could go to West Point for grad school.  I've been trying to run the info down, but I can't find a definitive yes or no.  Anyone know for sure?

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »
Check out the Naval Postgraduate School: http://www.nps.navy.mil/Army/
I doubt West Point does grad school.

Kharn

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:08:43 AM »
Ther's a Naval war college in Newport RI

I don't know if it offers advanced degrees.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »
I thought the War Colleges (Army has its own) were for officers moving up and needing to be educated on their new duties?

Kharn

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Kharn
I thought the War Colleges (Army has its own) were for officers moving up and needing to be educated on their new duties?

Kharn
Quote from: Phantm Warrior
I'm an active duty joe (enlisted guy)...

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »
Does West Point have the "Ability" to grant a graduate degree?  Yes, I'm sure they do.

Can you, as an enlisted guy, get assigned to West Point to pursue a graduate degree?  Not only no, but heck no.  Not even a snowflake's chance, not to mention the snowball's chance.

The military in general, and the Army in particular still have a rigid class system for Zero's with "Ringknockers" being in the top class.

Enlisted folks are absolutely NO class!

If you DO obtain a commision, as a former enlisted guy, you will forever be in the bottom class of Zero's...the Ringknockers won't give you the time of day unless it benefits them to do so.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 02:49:24 PM »
Quote from: Moondoggie
If you DO obtain a commision, as a former enlisted guy, you will forever be in the bottom class of Zero's...the Ringknockers won't give you the time of day unless it benefits them to do so.
Isnt that the truth, my group (mixed shop of government employees/green suiters) has a Major that joined the Marines after HS, left the Corps at the end of his tour, went to college and then recieved an Army commision after graduation.  He gets more BS assignments than the rest of the team combined. undecided

Kharn

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:17:42 PM »
If you hadn't already gone to college, you could go to West Point after being enlisted.  There were 2 guys from my first unit in 92 that went.  I think they both went to West Point prep and Ft. Monmouth and then to school.  As it is now, though, you can't get into West Point.

Speaking of West Point, we have a resident "ringknocker" here but I haven't seen him in a while.  Anybody know the whereabouts of Sean Smith?
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 02:41:38 PM »
I would recommend USMAPS - The United States Military Academy Prepatory School. Check it out. It's a year of junior college for Army enlisted soldiers needing some academic refreshment, and for athletes (non-military) who are brushing up on academics. If your grades are good, you go to West Point for the academy. Many graduates earn Masters degrees after West Point, but I'm pretty sure they do not have a Masters program.

If USMAPS doesn't work out, you have an academic refresher before you start ROTC at a regular college when you get out.

http://www.usma.edu/USMAPS/

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »
Check into private military schools like The Citadel and VMI.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon