Author Topic: Hearing loss from shooting? Try skiing.  (Read 832 times)

Iain

• friend
Hearing loss from shooting? Try skiing.
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:16:36 AM »
A former soldier who lost his hearing 15 years ago has suddenly regained it on a ski lift in the Italian Dolomites.

Derek Glover, 72, from Bourne, Lincolnshire, was 7,000ft up on holiday with his daughter when he heard a loud pop and his hearing returned.

Mr Glover's hearing was first damaged while on National Service 50 years ago and gradually worsened until he had to have a hearing aid fitted 15 years ago.

Doctors have so far been unable to explain what happened.

'Believe in miracles'

Mr Glover said: "I'd been skiing all morning and we'd decided we'd had enough so we were coming down in the cable car with my daughter and son-in-law.

"All of a sudden my ears went pop and their voices were dead clear, it was unbelievable.

"The doctors can't explain anything and he's starting to believe in miracles I think."

Mr Glover put his poor hearing down to firing rounds on the army shooting range when he was a soldier on National Service.

But he added that the army had also taught him to ski which was a very fortunate thing.

David Reid, of Deafness Research UK, said: "Regaining your hearing because of a change in altitude is very unusual - and the NHS aren't going to be prescribing holidays to the Alps anytime soon!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4665494.stm
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:24:41 AM »
I have some hearing loss in my left ear from an auto accident years ago. Sometimes at altitude my ear *pops* and sounds are clearer and louder.  After a while things go back to the way they were.  I hope the guy's ears stay open or whatever happened.  Maybe they will figure it out and others can benefit from it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »
Pressure equalization?Huh?Huh??
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:53:33 AM »
Kind of, there's lots of little bones in the ear that get stuck and the pressure change pops them back into place for a while, then in most cases they get stuck again and your hearing loss comes back.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...