Author Topic: Saturday Drive  (Read 2217 times)

spinr

Saturday Drive
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:51:24 PM »
I went for an impromptu drive on a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway near my residence this past weekend.  The long way around to my intended destination as it were, but such a great experience nonetheless.  Mind you, I've traveled this part of the Parkway before, but I can't recall how long ago.  It really was great to re-discover it.  I can't begin to describe how peaceful it was up on those mountains, most relaxing to say the least.  I took quite a few pictures, here are a few I wanted to share...

This is a closer shot of the falls you see in the photo above.  You can hear the water across the valley, at the overlook.

Some ice, along the way.

The highest point along the drive.

Looking SouthWestern-ish, from Water Rock Knob.

To the NorthEast from Waterrock Knob.  The rounded-ish peak you see in the dead-middle of the photo is Clingman's Dome in Tennessee.

And a final couple of views...

Now, as peaceful & calming as my little trip was, I did have one great big holy-*expletive deleted*it moment.  No, really... I stared death in the face.  Reference the photo below:

I stepped out of the vehicle, and tripped over the curb you see in the picture.  I commenced to stumbling around like a drunk baboon on that narrow, little sidewalk trying to regain my balance and stop my forward momentum from heaving my person over the edge.  I finally did, obviously.  In all seriousness, though, it was quite a reflective moment as I stood there realizing I almost became a morbid Blue Ride Parkway statistic.  Really, I think it made the rest of the trip that much better.

cool

Here's a link to the gallery, with the rest of the photos I took:

BRP Pictures

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Saturday Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:59:41 PM »
Wow! Great photos. Thanks for sending a little green to this "shades of brown" corner of the world.

Re: your adventure, I wonder how many folks' last words were : woooops! Oh Shiiiiiiiiiiiii............"  Smiley

...has left the building.

Saturday Drive
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:27:23 AM »
I'm jealous...all I have to look at are barren fields.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Saturday Drive
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:34:01 AM »
Barren fields?  Your neighbor's yard?Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Saturday Drive
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 05:14:54 AM »
Yeah I'm only surrounded by 10,000' snow capped peaks right now...thanks for brightening my day Tongue
Seriously, I love the smokies.  I spent alot of my youth in that region.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lennyjoe

• friend
Saturday Drive
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 05:23:40 AM »
The house in the first photo is what I dream of daily.  To have land, a nice log home, and that view is pure heaven.  Someday maybe.

bermbuster

• friend
Saturday Drive
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 05:56:45 AM »
Very nice photos.  The 8th one down is a perfect example of why it's called the Blue Ridge.

Was it windy when you were there?  I understand there were some fairly brisk winds over the mountains this weekend.

Saturday Drive
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 08:21:00 AM »
Was up on Greybeard Mountain (at Montreat, just above the town of Black Mountain) off I-40) visiting the inlaws this past weekend.  It was a beautiful weekend to be up in the Smokies, those are some nice pictures.

lpl/nc

mtnbkr

• friend
Saturday Drive
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:31:38 AM »
I love driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Roanke, where my family lives, is right on the parkway.  I spent mucho time biking it when I was in HS.

Chris

spinr

Saturday Drive
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 08:32:37 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you like the pictures.

Quote from: bermbuster
Was it windy when you were there?  I understand there were some fairly brisk winds over the mountains this weekend.
This weekend was actually very nice.  It was in the mid/upper 50's, rather mild really.  I got a kick from seeing quite a few out-of-state vehicles with their occupants bundled up like they were in the middle of a blizzard or something, while I'm blissfully comfortable in my light t-shirt and occasionally wishing I had shorts on rather than jeans.  They must not have been quite acclimated to the "cold."

As to the wind, I think you may be referring to those we got around Tuesday/Wednesday last week.  And yes, it was pretty damn frickin' windy.  Not only the gusts, but a really strong, constant wind that didn't let up much at all.  From what I gather, over on Grandfather Mountain, there was a measured gust over 200 MPH.  It apparantly blew the windows and a door & its' frame out of the visitors center and carried them about 275 yards down the mountain.

Smiley

bermbuster

• friend
Saturday Drive
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 08:50:26 AM »
Quote from: spin180
As to the wind, I think you may be referring to those we got around Tuesday/Wednesday last week.  And yes, it was pretty damn frickin' windy.  Not only the gusts, but a really strong, constant wind that didn't let up much at all.  From what I gather, over on Grandfather Mountain, there was a measured gust over 200 MPH.  It apparantly blew the windows and a door & its' frame out of the visitors center and carried them about 275 yards down the mountain.

Smiley
That's it.  I had heard about the 200mph winds but forgot exactly when it was.  Yikes on the windows and door!

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Saturday Drive
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
great scenery Spin.

I'm jealous too. The only interesting viewing around here is a barge that broke away and is still stuck on its side against the bridge pilings.

...has left the building.

Saturday Drive
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
Barren fields?  Your neighbor's yard?Cheesy
haha! Pretty much. I went for a ride on my bike the other day and almost fell asleep for lack of scenery.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Saturday Drive
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 12:59:24 PM »
Ah, sweet memories...

The most beautiful experience of my life was a trip to my sales territory (all of VA except Metro No. Va, with coastal NC added for icing on the cake).  Knowing the schedule, I blocked out a total of 2 weeks to cover what would take me 11 days worth of work time, leaving 3 extra days at the end *if* all went smoothly.  

It did, and I ended my 1000+ mile road trip (in a nice, rented Toyota Avalon with a premium sound system) in Roanoke on a Tuesday evening.  I checked into a McHotel, made the last calls of the week, and had exceeded all expectations for writing new business, strengthening relationships with my dealers, and even got my biggest dealer to kick GE to the curb (I worked for Whirlpool Corp.) -- a Million dollar PLUS coup annually for the company.

I celebrated that evening with a steak, loaded baked potato, and Michelob throughout.  I was alone, the waitress was pretty, and it was nice to do a little innocent flirting as she took good care of me.  
I went back to the room, having plotted out where I was going the next day, and having packed a few sandwiches, water, and schnecken to last the day.  

I woke up the next day around 8, threw the bags in the car and ran up I-81 to Botetourt county to jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I stayed at the Inn at the Peaks of Otter that night, enjoyed the amazing buffet and walked around the lake the following morning, enjoying the birds and nature.  I got back to the room around 11, loaded out, and started the lazy, 30 mph drive up the parkway.  It was early autumn, and the leaves had just begun to turn these brilliant shades of gold, orange, yellow and red.

I turned on a beautiful mix of classical baroque, acoustic worship, and James Taylor, and enjoyed the rocking motion of the loose turns as I wound through vistas that at one moment held me close in a chapel of trees, and in the next moment, opened out into endless air-filled canyons of tree-filled fields, raising their limbs in worship to their creator, surrounded by the majestic peaks of the Blue Ridge mountains, resplendant in the afternoon sunshine.  What a breathtaking gift, as panorama after panorama of the best of God's creation was unfolded, for me alone.

Humbled, filled like an infant at his mother's breast, I pulled in to the Afton Mountain B&B, ate dinner, and went to bed.

This was the single most beautiful experience of my life.
Thanks for enduring my ramblings.

Saturday Drive
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 01:56:45 PM »
Fig,

The only thing better is to have someone else driving, so you can do full time looking.  It's a gorgeous setting, glad you visited.

lpl/nc

mtnbkr

• friend
Saturday Drive
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 02:26:24 PM »
Fig, I love that area.  I'd welcome the opportunity to move back to Roanoke.

Chris

Saturday Drive
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
beautiful