Author Topic: Tell me about digital video recorders  (Read 1062 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Tell me about digital video recorders
« on: February 01, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »
Our VCR just died.

We need a replacement to record a few shows here and there.

We have an antenna, no cable, no satellite.

I think I want to upgrade to either recordable DVD (and dump our 5yo Sony DVD player) or a Tivo-like device.

I've been told that a DVD recorder can't record multiple shows like you can with tape.  Does that mean I can't record, watch, and record another without overwriting the old one or does it mean I can't set a programming schedule for a couple days that records several shows at different times?  The former isn't important, the latter is.

In doing my research, I've learned that Tivo offer(ed) a Tivo Basic service that didn't require a monthly service charge.  I can't find any new devices with Tivo Basic.  Does it still exist?  I like the idea of pausing and rewinding live TV, hence my interest in Tivo.

We may one day get cable or satellite, but not right now.  Still, since I'm replacing a device, I might as well upgrade...

Thanks,
Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 01:32:35 PM »
IMHO, spend the 40 bucks and buy a 4 head VCR

its simple and it works

DVRs are still in the awkward stage and will gain features and abilities over the next 2 years.

i expect a mac based harddrive recorder TV system to appear this year that will bring iPod simplicity to the livingrooms TV.
Right now DVD recording is kind of klunky and Hdef TV is coming...

it looks like the $15 shipping charge on a VCR is greater than the units price on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-VCR-WORKS-GREAT_W0QQitemZ5860700184QQcategoryZ3318QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:18:39 PM »
Hum...

Well, WalMart has really cheap Chinese ones for $80.

But you already know that. Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 07:58:06 PM »
We love our DVR's...in conjunction with cable.

We can record 2 shows simultaneously while watching another channel.  Pause/rewind live TV.

Cost is $5/month...rather pay that and be able to just take a unit down to the cable office and exchange it for a new one when the HD crashes....done that twice in the last 18 months.

Easy to program.
Known from coast to coast, almost!