Author Topic: Bad virus warning!!  (Read 1340 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Bad virus warning!!
« on: February 02, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »
Got this from a reliable friend, sounds pretty nasty.
Recieved February 1, 2006

During the next several weeks be VERY cautious about opening or launching any e-mails that refer to the World Trade Center or 9/11 in any way, regardless of who sent it.
PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

REALLY DANGEROUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT RIGHT AWAY, THINKING ! ITS A STORY RELATING TO 9/11!

DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOU VERIFY IT!

It is a virus that will basically erase your whole "C" drive.. It will come to you in the form of an E-Mail, even from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it to me, but called and warned me before I opened it.

He was not so lucky and now he can't even start his computer!

Forward this to everyone in your address book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all. So, if you receive an email called "WTC Survivor" or similar, do not open it. Either delete it right away or verify the sender meant to send such an email and is sure it is what they sent!

This virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.dll) from your computer on the next boot. By deleting the .dll files before Windows starts, your computer will be unable to startup!
This can affect any version or flavor of Windows! From Win3.1 right up to XP Home and Pro! It works by creating the command to delete all files with .dll extensions in the boot phase before Windows is loaded and started.

The good thing, is this virus has a piss-poor email engine and will be easily stopped by even cheap and free versions of anti-virus and email scanning software.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE

Another point, with such a crappy email engine, it will be a LOW priority for the anti-virus companies.
They rate a virus by how likely and how good it can reproduce and distribute itself.
With such a poor email engine it will undoubtedly be rated a very low priority and thus recieve poor to no attention and future help!

I have yet to verify this other than the one single phone call. He was able to start his computer in DOS and found the command to delete *.dll in the boot record. Remembering the strange email he logged into his email account and stripped the data from the attachment and sent it to a buddy who is good with the stuff who told him how the virus works, verifying how his computer was downed.
Take care, eh.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

TarpleyG

• friend
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 05:09:30 AM »
I see these all the time.  The e-mail itself is the "virus" because everyone who sees it forwards it on and spams everyone.  If you really want to know what's what in the virus world, subscribe to the newsletter here - http://www.trendmicro.com/subscriptions/default.asp and stop forwarding on this unconfirmed junk.  BTW, I have been working on computers for over a decade now and I have never seen a virus "erase your whole 'C' drive."

Greg

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »
I'm sorry, but it WAS confirmed by a friend of mine.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:12:28 AM »
Maybe your friend should have checked out Snopes.com first?

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/wtcsurvivor.asp

It's a hoax.

Don't believe Snopes?

How about Symantec, the anti-virus people?

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/wtc.survivor.hoax.html

To quote them... "Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding this hoax. It is harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted concern."

Don't believe Symantec?

How about Macafee, the other anti-virus people?

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99245

You and your friend have your hearts in the right place, but my advice is always check these messages out first. There's no need to spread unnecessary doom and gloom alarm.

As Symantec says, doing so is counter productive because viri programmers can use the confusion to their advantage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
Right then.
Let the thread die eh?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:52 AM »
It never should have lived in the first place. Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
I'm sorry, but it WAS confirmed by a friend of mine.
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/wtcsurvivor.asp

Your friend is full of shat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:52:15 AM »
You're three hours behind the curve, Jamis! Smiley

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Bad virus warning!!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:53:22 AM »
I guess I'm OK then.  I don't have a "c:" drive.  I have a partition mounted as "/".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.