Author Topic: Oh now this just sucks!  (Read 1383 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh now this just sucks!
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
The office I work in has virtually no radio reception because it's a former gov't facility that did highly classified work. In essence, it's a huge Faraday cage.

When I started, I was told that it was perfectly fine to stream audio over the net.

Well, today the stations that I stream are all blocked out -- Yahoo Launchcast and WMZQ, a country station in the DC area.

But, I can still stream local news radio, the classical station, and believe it or not, Don and Mike, a rather coarse radio show.

What a pain in the ass.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »
Is that PITA next to you getting back at you?Cheesy

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »
Mike, the reason that LaunchCast is blocked is probably because it's not just a streaming-audio thing; we had problems with it on our network because it was keeping up a constant yammering of data into and out of our office, even when users weren't using it.  Our IT people decided that meant "spyware" and tried to uninstall it.  It refused to allow itself to be fully uninstalled, and kept sending and receiving data.  That got it upgraded to "Malware", and got a number of machines re-cloned.

As for WMZQ, well, that's probably just a matter of taste...  Smiley

Where's this building you're in?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
Broken,

You're probably right. I just got word that CSC has started cracking down on streaming audio. Apparently it was becoming a real bandwidth hog on corporate resources. What's odd is that some streaming applications are still working... I'm listening to WGMS right now.

The building is the old Defense Mapping Facility on Route 29 in Merrifield.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:08:47 AM »
Streamin audio is big bandwidth hog here as well.
The bad thing about it is that all the buildings can get radio reception.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

crt360

• friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »
Bring a harmonica to work and play it until they give you your station back.
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »
I should send you my XM Radio Online password and user account.  See how long it takes before they kill it, even though it's browser-driven!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TarpleyG

• friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 01:55:07 PM »
I am in the same boat...no radio reception in our data center.  Cell phones hardly even work.  Sucks.  I just stream my morning show but then again I am in IT and work in security so I am an elitist bastard.

Greg

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 02:50:27 PM »
I'd almost suggest getting a collection of MP3's, and just use your favorite MP3 player set on 'shuffle'.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
roll your own

i cart about a thousand songs (4 gigs) on my laptop

Office depot had 512 meg flash sticks for 27 bucks last month
you can cart 7 hours of music on your keychain...

Costco has a nifty 12 volt $27 mp3 player/fm transmitter that takes flash sticks
http://auctions.overstock.com/cgi-bin/auctions.cgi?PAGE=PRODDET&PRODUCTID=19050282&cid=77060
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 03:03:41 AM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Get a collection together for a shoutcast server for your office.
You're assuming IT would let him put the server on the network when they got it.  Ain't gonna happen,  especially not on a network supporting a commercial contract.  I'm surprised he got the stream to begin with.

I could be wrong, but knowing what it takes to put a revenue generating system on a corporate network, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.  Besides, don't the streams still have to be sent to the server?  That'll probably be blocked at the firewall as well.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 07:56:14 AM »
I guarantee you 150% that I'd never be able to put a shoutcast server on this network.

I think the Air Force customer would take a dim view of it, and I know the company I sub to would also never allow it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Oh now this just sucks!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 07:52:04 AM »
Try www.chom.com  . It is an oldies rock and roll station out of Ontario Canada. It is one of the few that I can get by the filters at work.

bob