Author Topic: Anti-Semite or Insufferable, Insensitive Boor?  (Read 2614 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Anti-Semite or Insufferable, Insensitive Boor?
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:59:38 AM »
This is a continuation of the "Input Appreciated" thread. I finally got a lot of the info I was waiting for and can't help thinking my English Prof is going a bit over the top with the use of the term "Anti-Semitic". As far as I can tell there are 3 incidents that I would like to have thoughts presented upon.

1. Apparently, on the Sabbath, a woman (not the Prof) didn't want to turn on a lamp given the restrictions on mechanical things. It was ok for someone ELSE to turn on the lamp. The comment was, "She seems to enjoy the light when someone else turns it on."

2. Again on the Sabbath, I'm not sure how this came about but apparently a Jewish family had found themselves too far from home and could not drive there. the comment, "Why don't they just walk?" said full knowing they were like 25 miles from home.

and last but not least...

3. Repeated references to a Jewish Co-worker and the "50,000" Jewish holidays that they take off from work, most recently in the company of several Jewish people. My professor was the only one to speak up and declare taking offense to the remark.

Now all this, NONE of it very pleasant for someone to say or hear, strikes me as coming more from someone with their head up their ass as opposed to someone who is truly Anti Semitic.
There is no doubt this woman suffers from Cranial - Rectal Inversion, it is a known fact.

But I am not Jewish and I'm pretty thick skinned too (or at least I try to be). Is my Professor going a bit overboard on me? It's obvious my insensitive volunteer will most definitely have to be told to tone her rhetoric down or find somewhere else to volunteer. I get half an impression she is just trying to make jokes but not pulling it off very well.

My next step is to talk to the Board President and go from there. I can't afford to keep losing good volunteers because of one bad apple. Apparently my professor has made the decision to limit her activity with us now. Or so she is saying.

Thanks for "listening".

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 04:07:23 AM »
Seems to me most people aren't as thick-skinned as they would like to think they are.  She has her beliefs and is an @ss...so be it.  You even said your aren't Jewish so why get offended?  Are your Jewish friends offended?  I don't intend to come down hard on you but thinking like this is EXACTLY why we are in the "PC" mess we are in today.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:07:24 AM »
I'm taking this woman's remarks as unbelievably dumb remarks as opposed to purposely hateful remarks. She's made insensitive remarks on other subjects in the past. Even to myself. I just let them slide off. I don't feel others should have to tolerate it so it has become more of an issue.

Then there's always the fact that her English ain't so hot and maybe that has something to do with the way she comes across.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:10:44 AM »
Greg, It's not me, I'm somewhat in charge of these people and I'm trying to figure the best way to iron these differences out. If this person is driving people away with her actions I HAVE to do something about it. It was brought to my attention.

The Jewish friend I have was offended and she is (or was) part of the team. I haven't been able to ask any of my other Jewish friends who were involved so I thought I'd ask the Jewish friends I have here how they feel about it.

I respect the opinions I get from this board. There's a lot of good people here.

Heck, I'm more concerned that Heather is divorcing Richie Sambora and how can I get her phone # ?

LOL...

Cheesy

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:22:55 AM »
Understood now.  About the language thing...my MIL is Colombian and when she "translates" stuff in her head, it often comes out offensive in English.  She doesn't mean to do it...it just happens that way.  Always has and always will.

Also being a manager, I'd suggest a tactful approach (which I am sure you would do anyway) and address the specifics above.  Don't worry about "outing" the person that brought this to you, that'll just leave room for doubt in this lady's head.  Make it crystal clear in a polite manner is what I am saying.  IMO, beating around the bush just screws things up more.

Greg

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »
Yup, I understand and I appreciate the input on the language thing. That's why El Presidente is a good choice, Both he and the offender are South American and he could address the idea of translation issues. I relly think she's just trying to get a laugh but going about it all wrong.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 04:27:49 AM »
Did you catch the part where I added I was more concerned with getting Heather Locklear's phone #?

Cheesy

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 05:05:33 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
My next step is to talk to the Board President and go from there. I can't afford to keep losing good volunteers because of one bad apple. Apparently my professor has made the decision to limit her activity with us now. Or so she is saying.

Thanks for "listening".

Wink
I believe you have done all you can.  If the president is as concerned as you are about losing good volunteers s/he will take action.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 06:28:15 AM »
Yea, you have a point. Guess that's which way the wind will blow. It just all sucks though. I like everybody to be friends and get along. I guess I'm just a dreamer.

Oh, I was only joking about the Heather thing. I AM concerned about this.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 06:55:04 AM »
I'll go with B, Regis.  Insensitive Boor.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 06:55:41 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
Yea, you have a point. Guess that's which way the wind will blow. It just all sucks though. I like everybody to be friends and get along. I guess I'm just a dreamer.

Oh, I was only joking about the Heather thing. I AM concerned about this.
Okay, I won't send her phone number then Smiley

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »
DOH!!

Cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 08:38:54 AM »
Hum...

The term "frigging idiot" comes immediately to mind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 08:49:11 AM »
Please, I was trying to be "diplomatic"...

Tongue

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »
Fine, you be diplomatic.

I'll call it as I see it. I'm a busy man. I pass judgement and move on. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 09:19:26 AM »
If only it were that cut and dry. It has been my observation that no matter where you go or what you do anytime you work with a group there'll be one or two that will make it just plain old suck for everybody else. For example, I moved away from the old neighborhood and away from the drunks and such right? Guess who the VERY FIRST person to knock on my new door was. The local drunk wanting me to have a drink with him. And he wasn't too pleased when I declined. I think it's called SOS. I could go on but I'd just be rambling...

Just bear one thing in mind. These women not only donate time, they also donate $.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 09:27:05 AM »
Rich idiots.

You must feel so very special to be associating with them. Cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »
Actually, The vast majority of these people are pretty cool and have been my friends for years but like I said no matter where you go there's always that certain few...

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
Anti-semite? Maybe; maybe not.

Rude, obnoxious practitioner of vocal jackassitude? Mmm-hm!
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 06:05:14 PM »
Well, having thought about it some more. I raise the question, are this person's actions bordering on criminal? Or could further incursions be construed as such? The more I think about how rude  she was (and is), the angrier I get. The bit about the 50,000 holidays, you know that's not coming from attemts at humor, that's anger.  It took a while for it to sink in. Still the track leads to El Presidente.  Thanks all...

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
It is a mistake to believe that people have to "get along" or even like each other in order to work with one another. If her attitude doesnt effect the performance of herself or others, then I would just accept it and count her as a person to avoid spending extra time with. Everyone is getting paid to be there, if it was fun you would be paying them.

In all honesty I have as much patience for rude people as I have for people that feel the need to whine about rude people.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 03:03:54 AM »
Noone is paid...and we do it because it's SUPPOSED to be fun. It has been in the past.

I have an obligation to try to make things run smoothly. If other people quit because of one PITA guess who has to pick up the slack. Good volunteers are hard to come by. Chances are, this crapola will cost me two.