Author Topic: Rick Wagoner(GM head) speaks*interesting*  (Read 5163 times)

onions!

Rick Wagoner(GM head) speaks*interesting*
« on: December 08, 2005, 04:29:03 AM »
Wagoner Wall Street Journal Article

Attached is a column by Rick Wagoner that appeared in today's Wall Street Journal. He shares his insight on the struggles that GM and the U.S. auto industry are going through and what we're doing at GM to address these issues. I think you'll find it to be interesting reading.
Mark LaNeve

Vice President

GM North American Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing

Since mid October, General Motors has announced plans to cease production at 12 North American manufacturing facilities and eliminate 30,000 jobs by 2008, trim 1 billion in net material costs in 2006, and, in cooperation with the United Automobile Workers, reduce GMs retiree health care liabilities by 15 billion, or about 25 percent, for an annualized expense reduction of 3 billion.

The reason for these dramatic actions is no secret. GM has lost a lot of money in 2005, due to rapidly increasing health care and raw material costs, lower sales volumes and a weaker sales mix essentially, we have sold fewer high profit SUVs and more lower profit cars. What is less clear is why things turned sour so fast for GM, as well as for other American auto makers and suppliers. To put it another way, why are so many foreign auto makers and suppliers doing well in the United States, while so many U.S. based auto companies are not?

Despite public perception, the answer is not that foreign auto makers are more productive or offer better-quality or more fuel-efficient vehicles. In this years Harbour Report, which measures manufacturing productivity, GM plants took three of the top five spots in North America, including first place.

In the latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, GMs Buick and Cadillac ranked among the top five vehicle brands sold in America, ahead of nameplates like Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz. And GM offers more models that get over 30 miles per gallon, highway, than any other auto maker.

In fact, this kind of operating performance makes GMs recent financial performance all the more frustrating. The fact is, we are building the best cars and trucks we have ever built at GM, our products are receiving excellent reviews, and we are running the business in a globally competitive manner. Outside of North America, we are setting sales records. In fact, for the first time in our history, we will sell more cars and trucks this year outside the United States than inside, aided in no small part by our market leading performance in China.

So why, fundamentally, are GM and the U.S. auto industry struggling right now?

Intense competition for one. The global auto business grows tougher every year, and we accept that. Our ability to compete has made us the world's No. 1 auto maker for 74 consecutive years, and we are fighting hard to stay on top.

Beyond that, our performance in the marketplace has not been what we have wanted it to be. While we have been strong in truck sales, we have been weaker in cars, and, yes, the recent surge in gas prices hurt sales. While we have led in technologies like OnStar, we have lagged in others like hybrid vehicles. Rest assured, we are working hard to address the areas where we lag. Simply put, we are committed to doing a better job of designing, building and selling high-quality, high-value cars and trucks that consumers can't wait to buy. No excuses. We will step up our performance in this regard.

But competition and marketplace performance are not the whole story. To fully understand why GM and the U.S. auto industry are struggling right now, we have to understand some of the fundamental challenges facing American manufacturing in general, challenges well beyond the control of any single company.

There are those who ask if manufacturing is still relevant for America. My view&You bet it is! Manufacturing generates two-thirds of Americas Rand D investment, accounts for three-fourths of our exports, and creates about 15 million American jobs. And the auto industry is a big part of that, accounting for 11 percent of American manufacturing, and nearly 4 percent of U.S. GDP. Together, GM, Ford and DaimlerChrysler invest more than 16 billion in research and development every year&more than any other U.S. industry. And GM, alone, supports more than one million American jobs.

So what are the fundamental challenges facing American manufacturing? One is the spiraling cost of health care in the United States. Last year, GM spent 5.2 billion dollars on health care for its U.S. employees, retirees and dependents, a staggering 1,525 dollars for every car and truck we produced. And the figure is going up again this year. Foreign auto makers have just a fraction of these costs, because they have few, if any, U.S. retirees, and in their home countries their governments fund a much greater portion of employee and retiree health care costs.

Some argue that we have no one but ourselves to blame for our disproportionately high health care legacy costs. That kind of observation reminds me of the saying that no good deed going unpunished. That argument, while appealing to some, ignores the fact that American auto makers and other traditional manufacturing companies created a social contract with government and labor that raised America's standard of living and provided much of the economic growth of the 20th century. American manufacturers were once held up as good corporate citizens for providing these benefits. Today, we are maligned for our poor judgment in giving away such benefits 40 years ago.

Another factor beyond our control is lawsuit abuse. Litigation now costs the U.S. economy more than 245 billion dollars a year, or more than 845 dollars per person. That's more than 2 percent of our GDP. No other country has costs anywhere near this level. And the perverse thing is that, in many cases, the majority of courtroom settlements go to the lawyers and other litigation costs, not to the injured parties.

Another major concern is unfair trading practices, especially Japans long term initiatives to artificially weaken the yen. A leading Japanese auto maker reports that for each movement of one yen against the dollar, it gains 20 billion yen in additional profitability or nearly 170 million dollars at todays exchange rate. No wonder Japanese auto makers have noted their recent record profits were aided by exchange rates. And no wonder the U.S. trade-balance deficit continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

There are other issues, of course, but my point is this: We at GM have a number of tough challenges that we must and will address on our own, but we also carry some huge costs that our foreign competitors do not share.

Some say we are looking for a bailout. Baloney, we at GM do not want a bailout. What we want, after we take the actions we are taking, in product, technology, cost and every area we are working in our business today is the chance to compete on a level playing field. It's critical that government leaders, supported by business, unions and all our citizens, forge policy solutions to the issues undercutting American manufacturing competitiveness. We can do this. And we need to do it now

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 04:44:12 AM »
I wonder why he didn't mention the cost of labor?

Paying semi-literate guys with the IQ of a smart monkey, who do little more than sit on their asses all day, and push a button, 25 to 30 dollars an hour (I know of two guys at the OK GM plant that fall into that category) has to be a substantial part of GM's problem.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 05:04:51 AM »
Maybe they can replace those monkeys with guest workers!

(now I am donning my flamesuit WW)

Greg

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 06:00:10 AM »
It's a good analysis IMO and even an argument for government sponsored healthcare.  I mean, if we are to compete at parity with the global economy, we have to be realistic about the costs of the products we export.  Of course any government sponsored healthcare costs would be included in the price of goods, but they could be offset with savings from the discontinuance of foreign adventures, like Iraq.   It also seems to me that 15 million manufacturing jobs, accounting for 3/4 of our exports, is a low percentage of the American workforce.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 04:24:11 PM »
In the latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Study, GMs Buick and Cadillac ranked among the top five vehicle brands sold in America...
People who don't know why apostrophes are mandatory shouldn't try to write newspaper articles.

Personally, I'll stick with Honda: I don't do business with companies whose unions funnel millions upon millions of dollars to support leftist extremist causes.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 05:05:51 PM »
Standing Wolf makes a very valid observation regarding unions.  Maybe a law should be enacted that unions are prohibited from lobbying politicians and stick exclusively to representing the interests of the worker by being their collective voice in the workplace, period.

I think the days of foreign adventurism should be scaled back.  We need to insulate our country and our people from terrorist actions and rogue states.  We need to secure our borders and ports.  As the only remaining super power, I think we need to beef up our spook network and when we need to give a lesson, our air power is quite capable of destroying enough ifrastructure that a prospective rogue state opponent could be stopped.

The sad reality is our healthcare monolith has a huge price tag.  If we cut that price tag back, the quality will suffer.  However, part of that problem are the huge, costly infrastructure edifii that the medical community builds.  Look at the hospitals and medical centers.  There has been a 40yr building project going on at one of our local hospitals.  There is an "outpatient surgical center" in our town that has terrazzo floors, hanging gardens, rare woods, expensive art.  Where did you supposse the $ came to build that?  A Butler steel post and frame building could house that center very well at a fraction of the cost.  That is just one example of the waste in the medical field.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 05:31:49 PM »
Heathcare costs = company paid
Retirement costs = company paid
Environmental costs = company paid
Safety costs = company paid
Litigation costs = company paid

The bottom three are mandated by the federales and are non-negotiable as long as production is done in the US.  The top two are a cost of doing business in the US yet virtually all competitors in other countries have government paid programs.  GM and Ford can manipulate the costs of the first two and can do nothing about the bottom three.  At some point someone will have to point the finger at the federales as a huge component of the auto industry's fixed cost structure.  Sooner or later the companies will have to weight the decision to go overseas for relief of fed.gov does not act.

Wave of the future for American manufacturing if changes are not made.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 06:32:44 PM »
I've been seeing an acupuncturist recently for severe pain in my right elbow that's cost me about 20 points off my bullseye average.

To date, three visits have set me back ±$220, and I'm contending with about a third of the pain I had a couple weeks ago. I'm due back Monday afternoon.

A couple years ago, I saw an M.D. about neck pain. One visit and a prescription set me back over $700, and the prescription for pain pills was a complete waste of money.

My massage therapist relieved me of about 90% of the neck pain for $100, and has kept my neck and upper back largely pain-free at the rate of $50 per visit.

The so-called "medical care" I received through Kaiser Permanente when I lived in the People's Republic of California was horrendously expensive, incompetent, and delivered with a slapdash attitude from start to finish.

What I've seen of "health care" indicates it's free money for a narrow portion of the medical spectrum.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »
Yeah, but look at the choices you have!  Granted, you are pushed by the status quo in one direction, but you have other choices.  Push the status quo back.  That, my friend is the rub.  The problem is not the vision of medicine (pacification of the masses through theraputic hoo haa and profit) but is rather the application of the hoo haa.  If we can figure, collectively, how to paradigm shift medical motivation more heavily toward the pacification portion than the profit (ego fits in that slot) portion, then we'd be talking.

Problem is people talk about vision and only few of them act on it. (sheeple)

The internet, if we don't lose it or give it to the bureaucrats, may cause a huge paradigm shift in civilization.  At 62, sadly, I may not be around to see the result of this revolution that is in its infancy.  I hope Heaven is a place where you get to see all the different scenarios that rattle around in ones head, get played out to the finish.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 07:49:58 PM »
There are a lot of good points made here.

Quote from: Waitone
Heathcare costs = company paid
Retirement costs = company paid
Environmental costs = company paid
Safety costs = company paid
Litigation costs = company paid

The bottom three are mandated by the federales and are non-negotiable as long as production is done in the US.  The top two are a cost of doing business in the US yet virtually all competitors in other countries have government paid programs.  GM and Ford can manipulate the costs of the first two and can do nothing about the bottom three.  At some point someone will have to point the finger at the federales as a huge component of the auto industry's fixed cost structure.  Sooner or later the companies will have to weight the decision to go overseas for relief of fed.gov does not act.

Wave of the future for American manufacturing if changes are not made.
This is true, but their major competitors now also manufacture in the U.S. and are subject to the costs here.  They all have to meet environmental and safety standards.  They are all subject to litigation for various reasons.  While Toyota, Nissan, and Honda haven't been here long enough to be dealing with paying for retiree health plans, they face the others just like GM.  The big auto companies have all become very global, so I don't see the governments being of much help or hindrance in the future as far as competition goes.

Union labor costs have to be a problem.  I've always thought it was absurd that someone with little education can make $25/hr + benefits for pushing a button or snapping door panels in place all day, while others get advanced degrees, spend many years paying for their education, work long hours and make half as much.  The only recourse for GM and others who employ union labor when the burden gets too heavy is to shut down a plant and lay off workers by the thousands.  There's got to be a better solution.  I think labor unions may have performed a useful function in the darker days of the industrial age but have outgrown their beneficial purpose.  Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have largely managed to avoid union labor here in the U.S.

Company mismanagement and poor investment strategies probably play a bigger part of the problem than most of us are aware of.  Why hasn't GM been able to do anything with Suzuki?  Why did they acquire Saab?  How much is their automotive sector affected by their non-automotive interests?

I think the main problem is that GM was sitting on its ass selling us crap for several decades while Toyota and others were working hard to build very reliable cars that people liked.  It doesn't matter that GM is building the best cars they ever have because people still remember the POS Buick Skylark or rattletrap Camaro they owned back in the '80s.  The Japanese companies could cut back and sell junk for a few years on their good reputation, but it's not going to happen; they've seen what that did to GM, Ford, and Chrysler, and they're also being pushed by other Asian manufacturers like Hyundai and Kia who want to establish a name for themselves.  American car makers rode the brand loyalty horse until it died and now they wonder why it won't go any further.

Finally, who do they think is going to buy stuff that looks like the Aztec?  As a kid I combined a tricycle, Big Wheel, Green Machine and little red wagon into a better looking design.
For entertainment purposes only.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:46 PM »
I'm betting that other countries who have a comparable standard of healthcare technology to ours do not have huge insurance companies who take obnoxiously high premiums from their customers and build monuments to themselves with the money.

Can you think of one insurance company that deals in health care that doesn't have a monument to themselves?

Even the levels of bureaucracy one has to navigate through to use helath insurance rivals the worst that goobermint can dish out.

Doctors who accept medicare cannot legally charge less for patients who pay cash for treatments, here's a law that could easily be changed to save consumers money.

If healthy people were simply allowed to start health savings account (pretax) to pay for routine medical bills, I think as a whole, consumers would come out far ahead. For example, my employer(s) have put at least $40,000 into health care premiums on my part in the last 10 years, I've used a total of maybe $3000 worth of services in that much time.  If I had that remaining $37,000 in an account gaining compound interest for the last 10 years, I'd be far far ahead than the current system where the insurance company is taking that premium, pay off other's medical needs, while collecting the interest and investment income themselves. A person who stays relatively healthy up until they are about 50 when they start needing more medical maintenance can easily have enough money in their account to pay off most of medical challenges they face without the hassle of the insurance company denying claims, raising rates, and increasing deductables along the way while pushing up the cost of healthcare themselves.

Those that have chronic illnesses and who cannot afford to keep their health account in the black could apply for government assistance- this would be a whole lot cheaper than the entire populace put under either government or private insurance.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 03:15:48 AM »
This is true, but their major competitors now also manufacture in the U.S. and are subject to the costs here.  They all have to meet environmental and safety standards.  They are all subject to litigation for various reasons.  While Toyota, Nissan, and Honda haven't been here long enough to be dealing with paying for retiree health plans, they face the others just like GM.  The big auto companies have all become very global, so I don't see the governments being of much help or hindrance in the future as far as competition goes.
But they are often a more relaxed set of standards than what the U.S. makers get. And they get tax incentives to boot. They get all sorts of perks from the government to encourage them to build the plants in some connected congressman's  district.

Paddy

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 06:39:48 AM »
What I've seen of "health care" indicates it's free money for a narrow portion of the medical spectrum.
Agreed.  I, for one, don't need or want $5 co-pays for prescriptions and $10 co-pays for office visits.  Lower my premium and give me 'major medical' to cover catastrophic health crises.  Let me make my own medical decisions for alternative treatments with those saved premium dollars.

There has been an incestuous relationship between insurance companies and health care providers.  Doctors and hospitals form HMO's for the purpose of ensuring continued income through premium payments.  In the long run, that is counterproductive for everyone.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »
Hey GM!
1.  Your cars are butt-ugly!  (Aztec, Avalacne etc.)
2.  Your cars are lemons.  (3.1l/3.4l/3.8 intake manifold gasket issues, LT1 intake manifold issues, rattling pick-up engines complete with secret "buy-back" program, numerous transmission woes, numerous power steering rack woes...)

PS - when did you guys loose thte ability to make a WORKING gasket?
3.  Your paint peels off.  (White, silver, light blue - from 1985 onwards to today)
4.  Secret "buy-backs" allienate customers.
5.  Putting "Barrs-leak) in new cars at thte factory so that the intake manifold gasket failure is not noticed until after the waranty period alientates customers.
6.  Your interiors look cheap and plasticy.
7.  YOU "geniuses" are the ones that negotiated the retiree health-care packages as a way of "pacifying the union now" with money you wouldn't have to pay until the future.  Guess what - ITS THE FUTURE.
8.  Why do we need "OnStar" if we have a CELL PHONE?
9.  Where's the use of aluminum/composits to reduce weight and enhance safety and fuel economy?
10.  You give money to unions that give money to a minority gun-banningn party.
11.  You may be paying health car,but your cars aren't having to be shipped in from Japan, which costs a pretty penny last time I checked.
12.  You refuse to design the new vehicles with maintenance in mind, OR to discipline bad dealerships that overcharge your customersfor repairs.

The sad thing is, I've been a GM/Chevy man my whole life - but they finally BEAT it out of me - no mas!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 02:42:36 PM »
.  Your cars are lemons.  (3.1l/3.4l/3.8 intake manifold gasket issues
Its not a problem, its a feature (for the GM mechanics that is). Catch the problem in time and it will only cost you about $1200 in repairs, don't catch it in time, its a complete engine overhaul.

6.  Your interiors look cheap and plasticy.
Looked at the Chevy Colorado and Equinox. Quality of the interior reminded me of honda civic (circa 1980)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 06:34:50 PM »
richyoung understand the problem better than Rick Wagoner and all the other execs at GM.  American car companies are losing money because American cars generally suck (especially the GM cars).

Cars have gotten pretty expensive lately.  Econoboxes run $15k, and any sort of "nice" car is going to cost $25k or more.  With that kinda money tied up in their cars, people are going to insist on the best.

Sadly, "the best" usually means Toyota or Honda, not Ford or GM.  Whether justified or not, most people I know hold a low regard for the quality of American made cars.  

My uncle wanted a car for his wife that would be utterly reliable, so they bought a Toyota (the Toyota he bought in college in the early 80's still runs, despite having nearly 300,000 miles on it).  

Another uncle was going to give his old college-days Mazda to his daughter when she turned 18, but it was stolen a few months before her birthday.  He didn't hesitate at all before buying a new Mazda to relpace it.  He was PISSED he found out his new car was really a Ford.

When my mother needed a new car, she took the long view.  She figured a $45,000 Mercedez that would last 15 years was a better buy than three $25,000 Fords that would only last 5 years each.  Not only is it cheaper in the long run, but it's a MUCH nicer car.

Pension and welfare costs are a serious drag for most American manufacturers.  So are the unions, the taxes, the eco-freak regulations, the litigation hassles, and all the rest of it.  But in the end, the American auto makers are losing because their product sucks.  There's just no way around it.

That said, I drive a Ranger.  There's something unholy about owning a Japanese truck.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 06:50:01 PM »
Quote from: brimic
I'm betting that other countries who have a comparable standard of healthcare technology to ours do not have huge insurance companies who take obnoxiously high premiums from their customers and build monuments to themselves with the money.
In these other countries, governmeng rapes your paycheck to the tune of 80%+ to pay for that healthcare ... oh and they make plenty of monuments to themselves.

In addition, there really isn't any country on the planet with a comparable standard of healthcare technology ... since most countries have socialized medecine they rely on almost all the advances and innovation to be made by those evil for-profit American doctors/medical researchers and pharmacutical companies (then they bitch and moan that the inovators don't just give them the stuff for free, or abandon their patents "for the common good").

Healthcare in the US is expensive for several reasons, but the two main reasons are that we have all come to expect someone else to pay our bills (free health insurance is seen as a right by too many people) and the other reason is lawsuit abuse.

11.  You may be paying health car,but your cars aren't having to be shipped in from Japan, which costs a pretty penny last time I checked.
Actually most Japanese cars are built here in the United States ... by the same Union thugs that build Chevys. So I think you're first points are the more valid ones.