Author Topic: Sontoku knives  (Read 1119 times)

Chris

Sontoku knives
« on: December 09, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
Calling all cooks and chefs.  I have a nice set of Henkles knives in a block on my kitchen counter.  I do pretty well with the chef's knife (8" blade) on most things.  However, I've noticed on the cooking shows that many of the chefs are now using the sontoku knives, which are kind of a hybrid between the chef's knife and a cleaver.  Anyone know if they are worth the cost?  I've got a $50 gift card burning a hole in my pocket, and the Henkles sontoku knife that matches my block is $42 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

SADShooter

• friend
Sontoku knives
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 10:31:03 AM »
I want info also. I "think" they're supposed to be good on delicate/slicing work with veggies. Got a similar empty spot in my Henckels block, although I was thinking about a boning knife.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TarpleyG

• friend
Sontoku knives
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 10:47:04 AM »
I bought my wife a Messermeister for ~$80 and she loves it but I really can't see the difference.  Just make sure you get the one with the grantons to help keep veggies from sticking to the blade (they still do anyway just not as bad).  Oh, and it's santoku.

Greg

brimic

• friends
Sontoku knives
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 02:44:19 PM »
Wusthof makes a really nice one for around $50-ish
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Sontoku knives
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:57:28 AM »
Quote from: SADShooter
I want info also. I "think" they're supposed to be good on delicate/slicing work with veggies. Got a similar empty spot in my Henckels block, although I was thinking about a boning knife.
Boning knifes are nice. I used mine yesterday to skin and bone out a button buck I shot on Sat AM. I couldn't find my normal deer knife at the time so I grabbed the boning knife from my block and it worked better than hunting knife.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
Sontoku knives
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 05:43:21 AM »
Cool! In my case I was more focused on parting out poultry, but I had considered it for butchering deer as well. Nice to know it's practical.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch