Author Topic: Comedian Richard Pryor dies at 65  (Read 1233 times)

Comedian Richard Pryor dies at 65
« on: December 10, 2005, 06:33:36 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-12-10-richard-pryor-obit_x.htm

Even as he spent years out of the spotlight, Pryor's classic material remained timeless. When it didn't find him talking about his own foibles, he skewered society's conventions through a colorful assortment of bums, junkies, barflies and the like. And whether the speaker was Mudbone (his most famous invention  an aged spinner of "fascinating stories") or a random wino giving Dracula the business, truth was delivered with side-splitting hilarity.
Like many, I grew up with Pryor.  One may not agree with his personal life, his actions, his language - The SOB was damn good and funny. He had the abilty to laugh at himself - and you now what? Many times folks of differing views -  put these aside and laughed too.

Ironic, just in the last days this past semester we were discussing Pryor, and how we needed to round up his works for personal collections. Instructor had recorded off a Album some Mudbone...us older folks recalled and laughed...younger one in awe of this talented voice over the speakers...

Richard - thank you sir , you will not be forgotton.

I gotta wonder if Mudbone is sawing the seat out of the outhouse and waiting for that collard green eating bitch to head out...you hear it? "Splash"

Mudbone heading to Peoria on a tractor....*grin*

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 01:54:35 AM »
How ironic that I went to his web site (richardpryor.com) and the tag line for the site is "I ain't dead yet mother f@$#er".

Looks like he got the last joke in, eh?
One day at a time.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 04:06:54 AM »
This was too weird.  Last week I was asking my mother if he was still alive.  Then yesterday, before I heard he died, I saw on E! the skit he did with Chevy Chase where they do the word association.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »
Haha, that skit is a classic.

I am a big Gene Wilder fan and the movies that they did together will always be big with me.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

robear

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »
Truly a sad loss.   Richard was a funny, funny man.    When I was a kid I used to sneak away with my father's Richard Pryor albumns and listen to them. (One was an 8-track.  Remember those?)   Got caught once or twice, but it was worth it.    Mudbone and his partner with the big-feets, the wino dealing with Dracula, his squirrel monkeys and dogs and horses.

Warner Brothers released a nine-CD set of his stuff about 3 or 4 years ago, called "And it's deep too!!"  (remember that joke?)

RIP Richard.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »
The SOB was damn good and funny. He had the abilty to laugh at himself - and you now what? Many times folks of differing views -  put these aside and laughed too.
Yeah, one of my favorite bits is him talking about setting himself on fire while freebasing. RIP Richard.