Author Topic: Hi all! A couple of questions...  (Read 861 times)

Hi all! A couple of questions...
« on: December 10, 2005, 09:07:57 PM »
Hi all,

I've been lurking here at APS and THR for about the last six months, and just recently have had a couple of questions about knives. I decided to post here because this seems like a knowledgeable forum, and I didn't have to register to post! So, my questions:

Is $40 a good price for the Spyderco Native knife? (I'm 17 and on a budget, so any other quality knife recommendations in that price range would be appreciated too!)

Is the blade steel of the Native better than the blade steel of Swiss Army knives?

If anyone has a Native, how do you like it?

Thanks for any help,

Tan

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 01:27:24 AM »
Is the blade steel of the Native better than the blade steel of Swiss Army knives?
Not that I am an expert but I am pretty sure the steel on the Spyderco is plenty adequate and yes, probably better than anything Victorinox puts out.  $40 sounds like a pretty good price if it's new.

Greg

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:49:59 AM »
Tangent,
Welcome!

It depends...
The Spyderco Native has gone through 3 distinctly different generations.  One version (not sure which, either gen I or gen II) was built in Canada by an entirely different company, Camillus, with whom Spyderco contracted to build them.

It is generally accepted as fact that the Generation III Native is a GREAT knife, built by Spyderco, and would be WELL worth $40.  If it's a first or 2nd gen, $25 would be more in line.

You can get better info at www.bladeforums.com.
HTH,
Fig

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:57:47 PM »
Thanks all for your help! I'll browse over to www.bladeforums.com and look around.

Tan