Author Topic: Another Attempt at a Smart Gun  (Read 329 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another Attempt at a Smart Gun
« on: April 15, 2023, 07:38:50 AM »
This one is hitting the market at $1600. It's called the Biofire and uses fingerprints and/or facial recognition. The varied opinions, based on which article you read, have been... interesting. I was encouraged by the fact that even a couple of MSM articles noted the delay from picking up the gun to firing. Rather than post one link, here's a search link, so you can scan the gamut of "It's about time!" to "This thing sucks!".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=biofire+smart+gun&atb=v314-1&ia=web

I'm still firmly in the camp of "no batteries". Also, of the two biometric safes I own, the expensive one has only a 90% or so fingerprint recognition on the first go, and the cheaper one, while having 99% recognition, takes a good two seconds to scan and open. Two seconds is an eternity in a gunfight.

Edit: Forgotten Weapons has done a video on it. I haven't watched it yet:  https://youtu.be/2cRm9BMxl90
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
Re: Another Attempt at a Smart Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »
My position has always been that when the cops and the Secret Service adopt them, they're ready for public use. 
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 07:45:02 AM »
Per FW, it will fire if it recognizes either a fingerprint or a face. Doesn't need both. Also, it can recognize authorized shooters in the dark.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 07:50:00 AM »
Per FW, it will fire if it recognizes either a fingerprint or a face. Doesn't need both. Also, it can recognize authorized shooters in the dark.

I will say that if you want a smart gun, you should get one. As long as they are not mandated. Apparently this came to market based on New Jersey changing some law they had. Also, I will give kudos to this company compared to others in the niche, in that they come out and say that this gun is not for everyone and they don't seem to be marketing it as a "replacement" to non-smart guns.

I actually wouldn't mind this gun being marketed to irresponsible people with undisciplined children, who buy a gun, fire a magazine or two, and then stick it in a nightstand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 07:59:22 AM »
Without going through the whole data set, what procedures are there if you transfer the bioguarded firearm?  That's FAQ1 for me.

What would you have to do if you wanted to transfer one of your biosafes, Ben?

I'm not against them on principle if one has a need for one, but both  you and little old me know what will happen in the long run.

Yes, they will gradually become mandatory due to the overall attrition strategy of the Communists among us.

Foot in the door...

Give 'em an inch...

Enough is never enough...

Non-clinical "paranoia" is actually only "experience."

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 08:14:31 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 08:25:56 AM »
What would you have to do if you wanted to transfer one of your biosafes, Ben?

You can add and remove users all you want.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 09:58:28 AM »
My position has always been that when the cops and the Secret Service adopt them, they're ready for public use.
Exactly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2023, 10:29:48 AM »
When they try to ban it, then I’ll know it is something I need.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 03:36:25 PM »
The "smart" thing is NOT to buy/use such a gun.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »

My Colt 1911 can also fire in the dark. It doesn't care if I'm wearing gloves, and it doesn't know if I'm wearing a mask. What's not to like?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2023, 05:50:47 PM »
I watched Ian's video, and it seems la neat implementation of the idea.

I can see the us case for someone that can't really control access.  Room mates, or people in the house that can't have access to guns for whatever reason.

I do wonder what it'll be priced at,

The other thing that jumped out at me was his description that there was no mechanical linkage between the trigger and the sear, it's all software controlled.   Which brings to mind how long it'll take for someone to jailbreak the software and add burst functionality.