Author Topic: I'd forgotten how big 13 inches is  (Read 14421 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I'd forgotten how big 13 inches is
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:04:18 PM »
Get your minds out of the gutter. ;)

When I was a teen, I carried a 13" switchblade in my Beatle boots, until a police officer decided it would be a good addition to his personal collection.

A few days ago I ordered a decent quality Italian 13" model, and just received it yesterday. I'd forgotten what a monster a 13" knife is. The cartridge in the photo is a .308.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: I'd forgotten how big 13 inches is
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
Appears you forgot something else?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
Such as?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
May I ask where you ordered this one from? There are MANY Italian and other companies out there, very few have even halfway nice looking knives like that. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
So Monkeyleg, whatcha  compensating for? :laugh:
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:27:55 PM »
So it's about 7" closed?

That's not all that big.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
Such as?

The picture might not be displaying for everybody here.  Mine stalled out after about 15% was visible, tried it in another window and it just spun.  I'm trying to download it with wget (little tool that download a file off the web and gives me numbers about how it's going) and the first try stalled out at 28% and another one is at 68%.  A third (and final) try pause at 31%.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
It seems large enough for me, CNYCacher.

PTK, I ordered it from www.uniqueblade.com. It's an AKC (Automatic Knife Company, or something like that), which is the largest maker of switchblades in Italy. It's very good quality. $85 including shipping.

Gigabuist, sorry about the size. I sized it smaller, but it just didn't have the impact.

I'm used to 9" or 11" knives. They have some 15" and 18", which is beyond my needs.

They're legal here in AL, both to own and to carry. Carry is limited to a blade length under 4 1/2", although I believe a longer blade is legal for someone with a carry permit. I have to check. Not that I'd carry it anyway, as a smaller knife would be more comfortable.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
Server problem?  I saw the pic first time I opened the thread.  This time I get "connecting to www.gunshopfinder.com..."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 10:25:08 PM »
Such as?

The picture.  It wasn't showing a thing when I posted that.  Not even the red x.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
Gigabuist, sorry about the size. I sized it smaller, but it just didn't have the impact.

It's not a size issue.  The thing is somewhere around 50k I think.  That'll download in a snap on my 11mbit connection.  Your server just seems to drop the connection after a second or two.

No idea what would cause that.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
awesome knife, when I was young I had a "rizzuto e stilletto" or something like that, cops took that home too :police:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »

I think you two should take this conversation to PM....there's ladies present, you know...  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
So it's about 7" closed?

That's not all that big.

That's what she said.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:33:43 PM »
Your server just seems to drop the connection after a second or two.

That's not good.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »
I wonder what it would take to put bayonet fittings on this one?  :lol:

http://www.uniqueblade.com/products/Stiletto_18_automatic_switchblade_knife_Cocobolo_Damascus_Bayonet_by_AGA_Campolin-1228-26.html

P.S.

Slick stiletto you got there Monkey, very jealous.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:10:29 AM by kgbsquirrel »

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »
I think you two should take this conversation to PM....there's ladies present, you know...  ;)

When has that ever stopped you? And it better NOT stop any of you, we're here because we like the company (whatever that says about us).

Nice looking knife Monkeyleg. My (2) knives are strictly utilitarian. My little puma, though it is pretty and wickedly sharp, is good for cutting limes, opening oysters, cutting bait in a pinch, etc. My rigging knife is good for cutting limes, cutting line, and I sometimes wonder if I'm the first person who's used a fid to remove a hook from a shark's jaw. But as far as a defensive weapon goes, I don't have enough training to feel good about carrying a knife for protection. Not to say I would hesitate to use it if that was my only option but I'd probably end up cutting myself too.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
When has that ever stopped you? And it better NOT stop any of you, we're here because we like the company (whatever that says about us).

OK, guys....we've got carte blanche now......who's gonna start the Zardoz vs. Firefly thread?.....  =D =D =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 09:41:36 AM »
KGBSquirrel, I don't know if you meant putting a bayonet fitting on the knife you linked to, or if you thought it was a bayonet. I'm assuming the former.

Just for everyone's edification, "bayonet" when talking about stiletto blades refers to the style of blade where the top front half of the blade is ground to an edge, and the rear half is unground. (The bottom is fully ground). This is also called a half-grind. The style where both top and bottom edges are ground is called a double grind or dagger. The blades that just have a bottom edge are called single grind or, flat grind or, in my parlance, "boring". Here's an example: http://www.bladeplay.com/item--AKC-13-Rosewood-Handle--4725

I lost my whet stone, so I'll have to get another one to sharpen this knife. My others are like razor blades.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »
But as far as a defensive weapon goes, I don't have enough training to feel good about carrying a knife for protection. Not to say I would hesitate to use it if that was my only option but I'd probably end up cutting myself too.

That's just good thinking. There's an old saying -- "There's no winner in a knife fight."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
That's just good thinking. There's an old saying -- "There's no winner in a knife fight."

Unless you have a "knoife", mate  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Unless you have a "knoife", mate  :lol:

Always sounded more like "knwaf" to me.
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
KGBSquirrel, I don't know if you meant putting a bayonet fitting on the knife you linked to, or if you thought it was a bayonet. I'm assuming the former.

Just for everyone's edification, "bayonet" when talking about stiletto blades refers to the style of blade where the top front half of the blade is ground to an edge, and the rear half is unground. (The bottom is fully ground). This is also called a half-grind. The style where both top and bottom edges are ground is called a double grind or dagger. The blades that just have a bottom edge are called single grind or, flat grind or, in my parlance, "boring". Here's an example: http://www.bladeplay.com/item--AKC-13-Rosewood-Handle--4725

I lost my whet stone, so I'll have to get another one to sharpen this knife. My others are like razor blades.

Ahem. =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
I appreciate the tip, Viking, but I'll stick with a whet stone and oil, unless I'm lost in the wilderness. I'd rather not have the blade look like a brake rotor with 130,000 miles on it. ;)