Author Topic: Dead Dell  (Read 1009 times)

Jim147

• friends
Dead Dell
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
I have a Dimension 4400 that was brought in this week. It had a blown 6.3v x 3300 cap.

I replaced it and checked across the other caps in that circuit. I've changed power supply and processor and tried unhooking everything. Still no start and no diagnostic lights.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.

I hate to pull all the caps and test them out of the circuit. Anyone have any other ideas?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Dead Dell
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
Dell sent out a bunch of mb's with bad caps a few years ago, specifically in their Optiplex product line. There are probably more bad caps on the mb.

Might want to contact them to see about a replacement?

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
I've seen a few of those where the failing caps were not the only problem.  Other damage was done when the caps went south.  Replacing the mobo ended up being the only choice.
For a 4400, that really doesn't make economic sense, although the customer sometimes decides they want it anyway.  I had one or two make that choice.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
I'll try running back through it this evening. If I don't find anything I'll see what they want to do.

jim

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
One last thing:  It sometimes pays to replace all the Vrm caps, not just those that show obvious problems like swelling or leakage.  The only effective way to tell if a Vrm cap has failed is to measure it with an ESR meter.  A bad cap might look normal and show proper capacitance on a cap meter, but still be way off on ESR.  If that's the case, the Vrm circuits won't work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
My good cap meter only goes up to 200 µF so it is out for using on the 3300 µF caps.

I found out tonight they have one or two more systems just like it not in use. That would have been nice to know. A swap of the hard drives and a reactivate of XP should have it back in business.

jim

Found the micro code.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:29:48 PM by Jim147 »