Author Topic: National Interest Newspaper Guild Calls on Unpaid Writers to Boycott HuffPo  (Read 3399 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/18/newspaper-guild-calls-unpaid-writers-boycott-huffington-post/?test=latestnews

Basically union is trying to get unpaid bloggers to stop writing for the HuffPo, until HuffPo starts paying the bloggers.  I am sure if that happens then the union will some start representing the bloggers.

Oh how delicious the irony is in this story.

Favorite quote by Newspaper Guild Administrative Director Tim Schick:
"This is about supporting the quality and integrity of a vehicle for progressive expression, to actually help Huffington Post succeed, but on the right terms." 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Levant

• friend
Well, sure.  In an era where you have to be licensed by the government to be considered the "Press", why not require a union card or government approval to blog.

NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Self important bloggers willing to talk for free have killed professional journalists, you know the ones that get paid, meet deadlines, and can get good sources quickly. There would be no sloppy link farm SEO bait content sites if there were not people willing to write "articles" for $10. The Huffpo kids got all upset when Arianna cashed in, they wondered where their check was, like suddenly lightswitch, they realized their content had value. A little late kids.

Writers unions=herd of cats, not a grand union like UAW, no real card to wave and get a job. Non union groups like ASJA are far more powerful than something like NWU.

I say this as a spouse of my bacon bringer who has been and still is for now under freelance contract with AOL for a good bit. After this last mess most of AOL staff is gone, as are most of the freelancers. AOL is a failed model, we know it, the Huffpo deal just accelerated the crash. At some point if people want quality content online they are going to have to pay for it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
At some point if people want quality content online they are going to have to pay for it.

Or get other people to pay for it.

Look at youtube. Do you think Google runs it at a loss? And yet you don't pay a dime.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Self important bloggers willing to talk for free have killed professional journalists, you know the ones that get paid, meet deadlines, and can get good sources quickly.

The only time I've seen professional journalists is in niche trade magazines.  Yes, the quality is still often low, but they have to be minimally competent as they're serving a specific audience that likely knows what the article is talking about.  If you're writing about geek stuff for a geek magazine, you're not going to make it far with FUD, some careless unsupported assertions and plenty of fluff.  Same for an HR magazine, an aviation magazine, etc. 

Notice I didn't say much about "ethics".  My company buys an ad, full sized and color, in virtually all aviation magazines.  Consequently, no aviation magazines tend to say bad things about our company.   Is this unethical?  Apparently not, as it follows all laws and industry best practices as well as vetted by many talented lawyers.  It is still very clear.  If a magazine or other print media unfairly bad mouthed our company, we'd obviously be reluctant to spend our limited advertising budget on them as clearly they do not do enough fact checking to do accurate reporting.  Same goes for sourcing.

I happen to know for a fact that a very large segment of the media industry is rigged this way.  Sometimes with advertising dollars, sometimes with "access", sometimes with junkets, sometimes with aligning reality to fit the ideology of your magazine/newspaper, etc.

I'm not sure being paid is the definition of a professional journalist.  Plenty of bloggers have ads.  I'm not sure being accurate is the definition of a professional journalist, as most paid journalists are not. 

Disclaimer: accuracy opinion strictly limited to traditional news articles where I knew something about the matter in question.  Exactly 0% were entirely accurate, roughly 50% were somewhat or fairly close and roughly 50% were "WTF?" level of inaccuracy.   etc, etc.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Any event I ever participated in that was covered by major news sources was horrifically misreported by them later on.

Anecdote =/= data, mind.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
 =D I've been "boycotting" huffpo for a long long time, I do not even click on them anymore.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
My definition of professional journalist is one that makes a living on the phone and computer putting out content. She's fed my sorry ass for nearly 3 years I know, built the world she wanted. She's worked ad agency and PR too, so I know all about how advertorial and money sniffing publishers work, I can find my way around a press kit okay myself.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Any event I ever participated in that was covered by major news sources was horrifically misreported by them later on.

Anecdote =/= data, mind.

Agreed.  That has always been my experience.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
A universal truth, it seems.

Wish more people had a chance to experience this.

grampster

• friend
Bad and biased reporting is not a recent phenomenon.  When I was in LE in the 60's, I used to say about reportage about incidents that I was intimately involved with; "If I hadn't have been there, I would not have known what really happened."
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw