Author Topic: Paul vows to end Patriot act  (Read 3396 times)

Andiron

• friend
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Paul vows to end Patriot act
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:32:10 PM »
I hope he succeeds. The so-called "Patriot Act" was and is an affront to the Constitution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 11:38:33 PM »
I'm backing him up!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:56 AM »
I read elsewhere that he failed, and we still have a patriot act.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »
Most of it expired last night, especially the meta data collection provision.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:31:35 AM »
Yep.

Unfortunately, most of it will likely be restored in short order.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
I hear no mention of Ted Cruz with all this.  Not sure if he is staying out of it or the media is ignoring him.

Paul's moves infuriated fellow Republicans and they exited the chamber en masse when he stood up to speak after the Senate's vote on the House bill.

I would be curious to see a list of those that walked out.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/01/senate-returns-to-vote-on-extending-us-surveillance-programs-with-deadline-near/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:25:21 AM »
I would be curious to see a list of those that walked out.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/01/senate-returns-to-vote-on-extending-us-surveillance-programs-with-deadline-near/

Me too. I can guess who the instigators of it were (I'm looking at you McCain and King!), but would certainly like to see the full tally of anti-freedom R's.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
I can't believe how much heat Paul is taking for his stand. I've been totally disgusted with most of the Fox News and Fox Business coverage on it today. It's mostly a Paul hatefest alternating with "OMG we're all gonna die by the hands of terrorists!"
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
While I have some disagreements with Paul as I do with most anyone. Who agrees 100% on anything. Constitutionally he is right on this.

Besides if he is pissing off McCain and Obama it makes me happy. :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
While I have some disagreements with Paul as I do with most anyone. Who agrees 100% on anything. Constitutionally he is right on this.

Besides if he is pissing off McCain and Obama it makes me happy. :)

I honestly thought at least 50% of the population agreed with him on this particular issue, if nothing else. I was really shocked to see so much negative press on it.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »
I honestly thought at least 50% of the population agreed with him on this particular issue, if nothing else. I was really shocked to see so much negative press on it.

Me too. Too many authoritarians on both sides of the aisle I guess. That I suppose shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Disappointing though.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »

1. Rand might be off in some areas (IMO), but he is right on this.  Just say NO to the surveillance state.

2. Fox and the other MSM are members of the ruling elite.  They might deviate here & there to capture the majority of Americans not cool with the ruling class's policy preferences, but they will fall in line on the issues most important to the ruling class.  (See immigration.)

3. In this case, what is important to the ruling class is keeping the surveillance state's eyes on regular Americans of European extraction.  Can not do that without open-ended and sweeping powers.  Because the regular American is a greater threat to them than any damned terrorist from Goathumpistan.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
3. In this case, what is important to the ruling class is keeping the surveillance state's eyes on regular Americans of European extraction.  Can not do that without open-ended and sweeping powers.  Because the regular American is a greater threat to them than any damned terrorist from Goathumpistan.

What's cracking me up (and I use that term euphemistically - I'm not finding it funny), is that revision 2 is being called the "Freedom Act".

Also, Paul has stated that he actually wants more surveillance. He just wants it directed at Islamic terrorists and those groups known to lean in that direction (so essentially profiling). That seems to be getting discounted by the MSM, while at the same time (and I've only heard this, I don't have a verified source), various Senators are stating that in classified briefings, the security folks said they have yet to get a good lead from the "spy on everyone" program.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

The poll, conducted by a bipartisan team of polling firms and released on Monday, found that 60 percent of Americans believe the Patriot Act should be reformed “to limit government surveillance and protect Americans’ privacy.” Conversely, 34 percent would like to preserve it in its current form, agreeing that “it has been effective in keeping America safe from terrorists and other threats to national security like ISIS or Al Qaeda.”

http://www.newsweek.com/poll-majority-americans-want-patriot-act-reformed-332991

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
What's cracking me up (and I use that term euphemistically - I'm not finding it funny), is that revision 2 is being called the "Freedom Act".

Also, Paul has stated that he actually wants more surveillance. He just wants it directed at Islamic terrorists and those groups known to lean in that direction (so essentially profiling). That seems to be getting discounted by the MSM, while at the same time (and I've only heard this, I don't have a verified source), various Senators are stating that in classified briefings, the security folks said they have yet to get a good lead from the "spy on everyone" program.
That is the silly part.  These people keep saying this stuff will keep us safe, but it hasn't proven to be so.  The last couple of incidents show the same failure as 911.  We had the information already, but decided not to act on it for some reason.  Data gathering has never really been the problem. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 12:56:10 AM »
More "bread and circuses". Move along.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »

Near-perfect Orwellian doublespeak. I would like our intelligence establishment to have tools to protect us from terrorists, but only a) when that's its sole mission and b) when it is disconnected from the people who can monitor/freeze my banking activity, track my movements and communications, or knock down my door at 0 Dark Thirty.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:50:16 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »
Good job for Paul.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:59 PM »
Local radio guy said he was watching Paul speak about this on CSPAN. They panned the camera onto Lindsey Graham and he was apparently rolling his eyes a lot.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
I thought fox was apposed to spying on Rosen? [tinfoil]

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Local radio guy said he was watching Paul speak about this on CSPAN. They panned the camera onto Lindsey Graham and he was apparently rolling his eyes a lot.

Was he also pouting and teasing his hair?  Maybe McCain can get him a a tissue.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

SADShooter

• friend
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 07:36:38 PM »
That is the silly part.  These people keep saying this stuff will keep us safe, but it hasn't proven to be so.  The last couple of incidents show the same failure as 911.  We had the information already, but decided not to act on it for some reason.  Data gathering has never really been the problem. 

The problem is one of data analysis and false positives.  We can gather the data - that's automated.  The problem is processing the data.

Then, the thing is, at the indicator levels you get for a terrorist, there's a LOT of false positives.  We've seen it here when the government publishes some 'indicators that somebody might be a militia member' and we trip half to three-quarters of them. 

Investigating a 'trip' is expensive, and we're spending so much money just collecting all this data that we can't afford to follow up all of them, knowing full well that the vast majority will be false-positives.  So we have terrorists slip through.