Author Topic: A single-issue NRA  (Read 2279 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
A single-issue NRA
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
Between the DISCLOSE Act and the Senator Reid kerfuffle, I'm starting to wonder if the chickens aren't coming home to roost on those who complained about the NRA catering to conservatives on issues beyond the Second Amendment.  "Stick to gun rights," they said.  Well...   =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: A single-issue NRA
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
I'm ok with a single-issue NRA, just like I'm ok with a single issue ARRL.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:17 PM »
ARRL?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
American Radio Relay League.  They're an advocacy group for amateur radio.

Chris

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
 I also want them to be single issue.  It's okay for them to take a side trip to contest McCain-Feingold when it interferes with their Second Amendment efforts.

We have, what, 4,000,000 members ?  Let's say they also adopt, um, environmentalism as one of their principles.  If half of the members disagree with that, the NRA now has only 2,000,000 members.  Then they adopt anti-abortion, for instance.  Half of the members disagree with that:  they're down to 1,000,000 members.  Then they add immigration amnesty.  Half of the members disagree with that:  they're down to 500,000 members.  And so on.

To remain the greatest force for RKBA that the world has ever known, it is important to stay single issue.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
I also want them to be single issue.  It's okay for them to take a side trip to contest McCain-Feingold when it interferes with their Second Amendment efforts.

[Scratches head]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
Single issue is OK....as long as you keep an eye on things that have an effect on that issue....like SCOTUS appointments, Campaign Finance, search-&-seizure, etc.....and you don't stab other groups fighting for the same thing in the back.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »

[Scratches head]
:lol:  I mean, when McCain-Feingold interferes with the NRA's Second Amendment efforts by restricting the NRA's right to communicate, then it is okay for the NRA to take on a First Amendment issue like M-F.

I hope I worded that better.   :P

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
I'm a single issue NRA life member :angel:

However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna vote for Angle, she's the right Angle for me!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »
:lol:  I mean, when McCain-Feingold interferes with the NRA's Second Amendment efforts by restricting the NRA's right to communicate, then it is okay for the NRA to take on a First Amendment issue like M-F.

I hope I worded that better.   :P

But the big news now, is that the NRA has caved on the first amendment, so long as they get an exemption. 

We have, what, 4,000,000 members ?  Let's say they also adopt, um, environmentalism as one of their principles.  If half of the members disagree with that, the NRA now has only 2,000,000 members.  Then they adopt anti-abortion, for instance.  Half of the members disagree with that:  they're down to 1,000,000 members.  Then they add immigration amnesty.  Half of the members disagree with that:  they're down to 500,000 members.  And so on.

To remain the greatest force for RKBA that the world has ever known, it is important to stay single issue.

But as we have just seen, being "single-issue" on the Nevada Senate race or the Disclose Act is alienating a lot of people, just as surely as getting into immigration or abortion.  It leads one to wonder if liberty can be defended piece-meal, or if groups like the NRA can really hope to have a big tent.  The ACLU doesn't.  The NEA doesn't.  The AARP doesn't.  Why should the NRA expect to pull it off? 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
But the big news now, is that the NRA has caved on the first amendment, so long as they get an exemption

I don't see that as caving; their concern was to get their "voice" back, and they did.  They can now proceed to hammering the gun-grabbers at election time.  Mission accomplished.   :cool:

But as we have just seen, being "single-issue" on the Nevada Senate race or the Disclose Act is alienating a lot of people, just as surely as getting into immigration or abortion

Hardly anybody, as near as I can tell.  There may be some folks who think that the NRA should naturally be supportive of everything those folks believe in, but I don't think they're very many.  Those folks always have a choice to go support another organization that supports RKBA AND free NASCAR attendance AND free .22 ammo on Independence Day AND free bus service to their church of choice, but that will necessarily be a smaller organization and a less effective one for RKBA.

I don't want the NRA's pro-RKBA's efforts diluted.  I'm all for the other freedoms, but that's not what I'm paying the NRA for.  The other freedoms seem to have plenty of proponents (ACLU, etc.) but organizations that effectively support RKBA on a national level are an extremely small number. 

Just my perspective.