Author Topic: Embryonic stem cell funding blocked by U.S. District Court  (Read 2492 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Embryonic stem cell funding blocked by U.S. District Court
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »
Judge suspends federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.  The Obama administration over-reached, as its guidelines contradict current law forbidding federal funding for the destruction of human embryos.  

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/judge-suspends-federal-embryonic-stem-cell-research/story?id=11463843

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:33:16 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Embryonic stem cell research blocked by U.S. District Court
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
He made a decision based on current law? 

Isn't that against the law or something? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
no that EO was also overreaching. [popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
no that EO was also overreaching. [popcorn]

An executive order?  Which?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:56:25 PM by Fistful »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
the one that banned "decisions based on current law"

[popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »
OK then.  Be inscrutable.   =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ban a ban on federal money being used to fund embryonic stem cell work and not an impediment to privately funded research?
We've been told for years that embryonic stem cell research is the holy grail of medical research and that it will lead to cures for everything from acne to death itself.
My opinion is that if the researchers and powers that be in the medical worl actuall believed that embryonic stem cell research really is the path that will lead to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then the private sector would be dumping money in hand over fist.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »
That is correct.  I think it was Rush who was always pointing out that the reason those people started pushing for govt funding several years ago was because the private funding was drying up.  I thought it had more to do with lack of results/progress than anything else. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:32:21 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ban a ban on federal money being used to fund embryonic stem cell work and not an impediment to privately funded research?

Unfortunately, I believe that is the case.  Correcting thread title immediately...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Embryonic stem cell funding blocked by U.S. District Court
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
My opinion is that if the researchers and powers that be in the medical worl actuall believed that embryonic stem cell research really is the path that will lead to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow then the private sector would be dumping money in hand over fist.

Yeppers. 

Meanwhile, "those (hard working) people" at the FDA have seen fit to put a stop of a local company here in Colorado (http://www.regenexx.com/) that is using the patients own autologus stem cells to treat several illnesses.

http://www.politicolnews.com/fda-stops-stem-cells-in-usa/

So our government wants to spend money it does not have on stuff it is not authorized to spend money on, while at the same time trying to stop a private company that apparently is having success in a related area.  :facepalm:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Embryonic stem cell funding blocked by U.S. District Court
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
>So our government wants to spend money it does not have on stuff it is not authorized to spend money on, while at the same time trying to stop a private company that apparently is having success in a related area.<

That sounds about par for the course...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)