Author Topic: Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally  (Read 9254 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:17 AM »
You can listen to it here:  http://www.971talk.com/Other/streamtheworld.html
Edit:  The above link is live feed from a St. Louis radio station.  Audio from the rally is no longer available there.

Here's the web page:  http://www.glennbeck.com/828/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:38:03 AM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
I'm not listening to that racist dishonor Martin Luther King.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »

Grand-standing wierdo who continually alludes SHTF is around the corner, but racist? That's a new one on me, do tell.
I promise not to duck.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
For the most part, I think the delivery is bad. But the message is often not that far off if you ignore the theatrics. On spot no, but in the ballpark.

But the racist part is a new one on me as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 10:56:08 AM »
today is the anniversary day of the lincoln memorial mall rally where in MLK gave his "I had a Dream" speech
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
The question is, will Glenn cry?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »
today is the anniversary day of the lincoln memorial mall rally where in MLK gave his "I had a Dream" speech

And that makes it racist? I can see the left/MSM using that talking point, but I don't see that it making it true.

Reading further Project 21 and MLK's niece seems to be heavily involved in this. http://www.nationalcenter.org/P21Index.html
I promise not to duck.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
Please keep repeating endlessly the racist tag.  It's beginning to have no meaning at all.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »

No....you're thinking of the other rally going on out there....the one that Sharpton is having....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »
My sarcasm meter deflected when I read Monkeyleg's post.  I think he was poking at the myriad folks (Sharpton, among others.  Hard to believe, no?) that have been calling the Restoring Honor rally racist because it was held on the anniversary of MLK's speech.
From what I have read, Beck claims the date was chosen randomly, and that he didn't realize the significance until later.  Of course, I'm not sure I believe that claim, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
RocketMan wins. ;)

Sorry, folks, I forgot to add the winking smilie.

I find it ridiculous that Beck is charged with abusing the anniversary of MLK's speech. If he were going to abuse the anniversary, why do the 47th? Why not wait until the 50th when it would have some real impact?

The racism card is now dog-eared on all four corners, faded, and held together with Scotch tape. The public isn't even paying attention to the word "racist".

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 01:20:21 PM »

From what I have read, Beck claims the date was chosen randomly, and that he didn't realize the significance until later.  Of course, I'm not sure I believe that claim, either.

It's Glenn Beck...  He's riddled with ADD, he wouldn't find his way to work without someone taking him there.  He's dumb/smart, he will luck his way into things or dumb his way out of them.  I think he had no clue what day it was, except it was a Saturday. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »
Whatever his motivations or personal flaws, I won't fault a man for encouraging people to ask honest questions and live principled lives.

Given a choice between accepting the integrity of Glenn Beck and that of Al Sharpton, the answer seems pretty self-evident to me.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
Some say Glenn is over the top and grandstanding. Maybe so but, if you want to talk bad about him, talk facts.
Oh and, Rush is Right. :P
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »
Don't y'all watch the Daily Show?  The race card is invalid during a black Presidency (I think that includes someone half black).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
I suspect he knew all along the rally was scheduled for the anniversary of MLK's speech.  Especially when you consider that MLK's niece was one of the speakers at the event.
Note please, that I am not faulting Beck for choosing this date. IMO, there is nothing wrong with trying to tie it into MLK's speech forty-seven years ago.  If anything, I am faulting him for not being more forthcoming when questioned about it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
I suspect he knew all along the rally was scheduled for the anniversary of MLK's speech.  Especially when you consider that MLK's niece was one of the speakers at the event.

No, I think scanr is probably right.  Beck is goofy like that, and you would have to actually research the 28 of August to know it.  It is NOT a day that most people remember as the anniversary of anything.

It's true that MLK's niece is just one of the tie-ins that was made to the good doctor's speech, but if you had been listening to the GB show recently, you would have known that the MLK angle has been brought to his attention repeatedly and often angrily.  Most likely, all those tie-ins were included after the uproar began.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
The Daily Show?  Odd how someone like Beck is castigated for a return to Constitutional republicanism and supporting the notion that being upstanding is probably better than the toga party that is modern American culture and the Daily Show is just....well...funny.  The Daily Show could be funny except that's where a lot of folks get their news and they actually believe the irony and satire as if it were true.

Anyway, in order to stay on TV and get a bit of message out, one has to have a schtick.  Both shows have a good deal of that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 04:39:07 PM »
Colbert is funnier. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »
Does anyone remember the anniversary of the date of the Gettysburg address (without having to look it up)?

January 20th was George Burns' birthday, but that didn't stop Obama from being sworn in that day. ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:57:56 PM by Monkeyleg »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
I think he had no clue what day it was, except it was a Saturday.
Along with most other people.

Of course, think about what happened back in 1542: Reinforced with at least 600 arquebusiers and cavalry, Imam Ahmad Gragn attacked the Portuguese camp in the Battle of Wofla. The Portuguese were scattered, their leader Christovo da Gama was captured and afterwards executed.

;/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
Seeing as how August 28th has been around for a while, kind of like it keeps coming back year after year.
There have been many things happen "On this Day in History"
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
I happened to be in DC during that time but had forgotten that that was going on until I was on the train heading up there. I was meeting someone up there so we could go somewhere else. Wish I had gotten a chance to stay around for a while, :( Looked like there was a lot of people.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »

I'm not a Glenn Beck fan.  I never was a fan due to his omnipresent smugness and arrogance, but to each their own I could care less.  But I've grown less than thrilled at his involvement with the Tea Party.  He's a party hack.  I'm sure he'll do his part to gut the Tea Party like a trout and try to "bring it back into the herd". 

Smartest thing the Tea Party could do is firmly kick the GOP brass squarely in the metaphorical jimmy and assert their independence.  If they don't, they will be virtually useless within a few years.  They'll be supporting the very thing they preach against.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »

Smartest thing the Tea Party could do is firmly kick the GOP brass squarely in the metaphorical jimmy and assert their independence.  If they don't, they will be virtually useless within a few years.  They'll be supporting the very thing they preach against.

This...is what wisdom looks like....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.