Author Topic: Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally  (Read 9254 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:54 AM »
Yes, but you have to work with what you are given.  The Tea Party has been kicking the RNC elites in the rear at just about every turn.  You will have the "party" candidate and then the "tea party" candidate.  The Tea party has been ousting the party candidate at just about every turn.  As it stands, they have to work with the party that most reflects their ideals.  If the movement strikes out on it's own, I see them going the way of the IAP party, Ross Perot, and a host of others under the title of "also ran."

Also, don't put it past the DNC from picking the candidate that they want to run against.  Harry reid picked Sharron Angle, Rory Reid tried to run against soon to be former Governor Gibbons (he failed there).  The ran attack ads in the primary against the candidate they did not want to run against in the general.  This is just in Nevada, see it repeated in 49 other states.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26:48 AM »
Yes, but you have to work with what you are given.  The Tea Party has been kicking the RNC elites in the rear at just about every turn.  You will have the "party" candidate and then the "tea party" candidate.  The Tea party has been ousting the party candidate at just about every turn.  As it stands, they have to work with the party that most reflects their ideals.  If the movement strikes out on it's own, I see them going the way of the IAP party, Ross Perot, and a host of others under the title of "also ran."

I have no problem with the Tea Party working in hand with the GOP Old Guard.  I'd just really prefer those hands to be around the metaphorical throats of all of the GOP statist pork-loving huge-government liberty-hating types.  The informal structure prevents a coup within the Tea Party.  So the GOP Old Guard have to try to embrace the Tea Party and 'direct' it in the proper current GOP direction (pork, police state, massive entitlement spending, etc).  With a hundred separate groups, that's a hundred different groups you have to co-opt.  That's the job of Beck, Palin and other GOP party hacks.  Co-opt as many groups as possible with BS, and maintain as much of the status quo as possible.

The nice thing is that the GOP old guard are fat, dumb and happy.  They're used to working at the top of the food chain.  Tea Party is largely working at the local level, which is exactly where they should be.  The other "third parties" were stupid.  They only try running for the major offices.  Screw that.  Take over the LOWEST offices, work your way up the food chain, removing the old rot and completely replacing it as you claw your way up.

The best part is they don't even have to win.  Just scare the RNC into doing their job.   Now, of course, the real goal of the Tea Party should be to clear house at the RNC. 

If that remotely succeeds, there will be a parallel movement in the DNC to do roughly the same thing.  Respectfully, I will decline to discuss that here. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:08 AM »
I'm not a Glenn Beck fan.  I never was a fan due to his omnipresent smugness and arrogance, but to each their own I could care less.  But I've grown less than thrilled at his involvement with the Tea Party.  He's a party hack.  I'm sure he'll do his part to gut the Tea Party like a trout and try to "bring it back into the herd". 

Maybe I haven't seen enough of Glenn Beck to understand what he's up to, but he has always seemed pretty self-effacing to me.  He seems much more wacky than hacky.  [groan]

I never bothered to listen to him, until they changed up the schedule on one of the talk stations around here a few months ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 06:34:31 AM »
I'm not a Glenn Beck fan.  I never was a fan due to his omnipresent smugness and arrogance

Are you sure you're not thinking of Bill O'Reilly?   ;)

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »

DD

Only difference b/t the two is their time slots....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »

DD

I will give credit where credit is due.  Glenn Beck does seem to be a better or more discreet person than Bill O'Reilly.   That is worthy of recognition.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
If they ever do a movie of O'Reilly's life, Bill Murry would be perfect in the title role.   [popcorn]

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
Here in Michigan, the various tea party groups were able to command 25% of the precinct delegates to the state Stupid Party convention.  They weren't able to do much except scare the crap out of the party regulars and put forth an alternate for Lt. Governor that was a conservative candidate for the 2nd house district for the .fed house of reps in the August primary.  The guy who got the nod in the primary for governor is a business guy, Snyder.  Very successful businessman.  He picked his running mate a 2 term rep that leans a little right of center.  Tea party activism pushed him to do that.  Snyder is a guy who's trying to grab up the independents and what few right leaning dems that he can.

Time will tell whether he is the new breed of cat politico ss he claims he is, or just more of the same wishy washy middle of the road Stupid Party hack. 

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
I'm not a Glenn Beck fan.  I never was a fan due to his omnipresent smugness and arrogance, but to each their own I could care less.  But I've grown less than thrilled at his involvement with the Tea Party.  He's a party hack.  I'm sure he'll do his part to gut the Tea Party like a trout and try to "bring it back into the herd". 

Smartest thing the Tea Party could do is firmly kick the GOP brass squarely in the metaphorical jimmy and assert their independence.  If they don't, they will be virtually useless within a few years.  They'll be supporting the very thing they preach against.

The Tea Party folks have been backing many a primary candidate at odds with the GOP leadership and ousting quite a few GOP incumbents at the primary level.  Not sure what else you want, as actual physical violence would be counter-productive.

DD

That's what I was thinking.  Beck is the weepy one who actually reads books.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
Yeah, Beck may be a lot of things, but smug isn't one of them.  Are we sure we're talking about the right guy, here?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:53 AM »
This article describes Beck as I seem him and see him viewed by the ruling class:
http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/27/i-like-glenn-beck-because-hes
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:05 AM »
http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/27/i-like-glenn-beck-because-hes

You get the impression that two weeks ago Beck had never heard of Woodrow Wilson, yet now he has figured out that Woodrow Wilson was one of the most evil people of the 20th century, and he wants to tell everybody. There's something fun about that, a performance that invites you to help fill in details and fix errors. It's certainly something you don't see anywhere else on TV, a medium populated almost entirely by people who are more cocksure about everything than I am about anything.

Pretty much.  No, he's not the brightest star in the firmament, but it's hard to escape the impression that he's earnest and he actually cares.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 05:34:45 AM »
Beck is on our side on the gun issue, oreily hasn't been.
after heller/mcdonald he got a little better -but he doesn't get it.
Beck understands and supports RKBA. & ppl who don't like him are racist ;-)....

BTW, abc radio reported a Tea Party in washington dc. ... they obviously don't get it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
You get the impression that two weeks ago Beck had never heard of Woodrow Wilson, yet now he has figured out that Woodrow Wilson was one of the most evil people of the 20th century, and he wants to tell everybody. There's something fun about that, a performance that invites you to help fill in details and fix errors. It's certainly something you don't see anywhere else on TV, a medium populated almost entirely by people who are more cocksure about everything than I am about anything.

Pretty much.  No, he's not the brightest star in the firmament, but it's hard to escape the impression that he's earnest and he actually cares.
He's learning, educating himself.  It's fascinating to watch that process.  Some of the stuff he's discovering is old hat to those of us who've been ion the trenches a while.  A lot of it is new to all of us.

Indeed, it's also interesting that Beck is the only outlet producing anything quite like it.  Everyone else in media and politics present themselves as perfect right from the beginning.  "What, me learn something new?  I already know everything, thankyouverymuch."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:25:45 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
Beck is scary because he's actually using television the way it should be used: to educate.  That in itself is radical, especially when applied to political philosophy.  No one says the man's perfect--who is?--but in his plain American way he's doing what few people allegedly on the Right are doing, and that is to pierce the veil and actually connect the dots when it comes to the leftist network in America.  As for the history of the 20th century, how many know anything about Wilson or the Progressive movement really?  And, frankly, how could they given who controls the sum and substance of American higher ed?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »
One bone I'll pick with Beck is that we need to be reclaiming the progressive label, rather than letting the left have it and ruin it.  We've already made that mistake with "liberal." 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
Longeyes, TV has long been used to educate. there are other examples, but somehow i think this one is the most effective. [popcorn] warning page is a java nuke fire site.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
I meant political education that is not infused with the by now well-documented academic/liberal biases. 
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 04:07:07 PM »
ahh [popcorn]

Iain

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:12 PM »
Beck is scary because he's actually using television the way it should be used: to educate.

I needed that laugh.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
The Tea Party has been kicking the RNC elites in the rear at just about every turn.  You will have the "party" candidate and then the "tea party" candidate.  The Tea party has been ousting the party candidate at just about every turn.

did i miss something?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
The Tea Party has been kicking the RNC elites in the rear at just about every turn.  You will have the "party" candidate and then the "tea party" candidate.  The Tea party has been ousting the party candidate at just about every turn.

did i miss something?

Yes, it sounds like you have.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »
Given that the average adult in America watches 35 hours of tv a week it is already the primary "education" medium in America.  Unfortunately, the education being provided is more opiate than anything else, or, at best Hamburger Helper.  Beck should be commended for attempting to use television as a political education workshop.  There's a hunger out there for what he's trying to do, cynics notwithstanding.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
The numbers of people at the rally has jumped 2 or 3 times. Some folks are trying to say there might have been a million in attendance. It looked more like 100,000 to me, but I'm not good at estimating crowds.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2010, 02:09:50 AM »
The numbers of people at the rally has jumped 2 or 3 times. Some folks are trying to say there might have been a million in attendance. It looked more like 100,000 to me, but I'm not good at estimating crowds.

A millon is a hell of a lot of people.

100,000 is a lot more believable, I think.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!