Author Topic: The non-koran-burning.  (Read 15541 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: The non-koran-burning.
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
True, but we shouldn't abuse them either.

If this is abusing our rights (;/ ) Then it's abusing them at the same level as an NWA video, or Hannah Montana pretending she's not sexual. Actually NWA might be worse, as the people it's exorting to violence are at least in this hemisphere.

It's a rude attention stunt.  That's it. Nothing more.

If it incites violence in some Muslims the problem is with....wait for it....with Muslims that think violence is an appropriate response to being offended.  In the civilized world when one is offended, but not harmed, you deal with it not blow *expletive deleted*it up.  They (the extremists) need to learn that lesson or be shot like dogs. Acting like AHP (I really like that) is somehow responsable for the violence of other people on the oppisite side of the world because he "abused" his right to talk freely is half way to the left's favorite response to their opressed classes.  "It's not the terrorists fault, AHP didn't respect them enough"  Please.  it's there fault.  He's making my state look like a bunch of inbred hicks, but you don't see me threating to detcord his church. 

He's not abusing snot.  He's one more of a parade of tasteless, tactless folks the media has chosen to blast across the world.  Pretending he has any controll over what terrorists do or don't attack is asinine.

On that note, what do you think?  Is there a bunch of terrorists in A-Stan with weapons and a really good plan, waiting for an excuse?  The occuping army, installing a (to them) corrupt government, and trumpted from Al-Jezzera as the next crusade isin't enough to make them attack.  What they're waiting for is someone to burn a Koran in FL.  That'll be the straw that makes them go after US forces.  Right.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2010, 05:54:53 PM »
Chill.  Go look at what I was responding to before you draw unwarranted conclusions.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
What we need to do is this:

1. Order (from a reasonable manufacturer) 50,000 books mocked up to look like the Qur'an, but entirely empty (as in, blank page). Possibly this stage can be achieved by purchasing 50,000 Moleskin notebooks and writing 'HOLY QUR'AN' on the front cover.

2.  Announce the world's largest Qur'an torch-off, held at, say, Bagram airbase.

3. Wait for the requisite Taliban offensive to mass at the airbase at the date of the torch-off, destroy with B-52 and A-10 attack runs.

4. Reveal the secret (by, say, uploading videos of ANA personnel handling the entirely empty notebooks which are not actually Qur'ans).

5. Mock the Taliban as much as possible.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
I know you meant that in jest, Micro, but why does it tweak my soundslikefunometer?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
As the man said...the real war hasn't even begun...

This morning Obama told us that 70 per cent of Afghanistan was illiterate and that it was the second poorest nation on earth. Okay.  Then what that tells us is that these people could not possibly be a serious threat to us without the money and arms of other sympathetic nations.  And I think we know who those nations are.  Strangely, though, we don't refer to them as enemies.  Wonder why...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
What we need to do is this:

1. Order (from a reasonable manufacturer) 50,000 books mocked up to look like the Qur'an, but entirely empty (as in, blank page). Possibly this stage can be achieved by purchasing 50,000 Moleskin notebooks and writing 'HOLY QUR'AN' on the front cover.

Why not make the mock-Korans out of detcord and set proximity fuses?....the video would be awesome....  [popcorn]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2010, 05:08:48 AM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
If some Muslim fanatics mounted an attack on Fred Phelps and his bunch I think I would buy tickets to see it...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 06:10:14 PM »

Adding fuel to the fire (figuratively speaking)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7999250/Australian-lawyer-smokes-pages-of-Bible-and-Koran-asking-Which-is-best.html

Synopsis: can be inferred from the link, but . . . .

Mischievious Australian lawyer tears pages from the Bible, rolls them up and smokes them.  Then does the same with the Qur'an.  Posts video of himself smoking religious texts.

Guess which one generates more outrage.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »
of course the religion of turnin' the other dudes cheek. :angel:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
Nothing political about it, but the Gideon bibles in hotels have nice thin paper that is very useful for this purpose. So I've been told.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »
I guess somebody ought to comment on the irony of burning korans at a place called the Dove World Outreach Center.  Nice peaceful outreach to the world, there, Terry.  :lol:

And since I'm always so proud when Missouri makes it into the news:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100911/ARTICLES/100919867/1002?p=all&tc=pgall
Jones said he was born in Cape Girardeau, Mo., in October 1951. He graduated from Central High School there in 1969 -- alongside conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh -- and then went on to study for two years at Southeast Missouri State University.

http://www.journalism.org/index_report/pej_news_index_report_september_612_2010
On his radio program on Sept. 10, Rush Limbaugh, who said he attended high school with Jones but didn’t know him well, dismissed the pastor as “a fringe figure.”

“Nobody would have ever heard of this until the media elevated it,” Limbaugh said.

taurusowner

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
If it incites violence in some Muslims the problem is with....wait for it....with Muslims that think violence is an appropriate response to being offended.  I

Best response ever.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
I just want to say that Terry Jones is pretty weak stuff, compared to my current favorite nutty Christian, William Tapley, the Third Eagle of the Apocalypse, aka the Co-prophet of the End Times. He's not only bleeping insane, but he also brings it to you with proper grammar and spelling.  =)  Not to mention that he has Very Impressive, Bibley-sounding Titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFMywH70ow
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:42:45 PM by Fistful »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
William Tapley, the Third Eagle of the Apocalypse, aka the Co-prophet of the End Times

No doubt Fistful is the other co-prophet and either the First or Second Eagle of the Apocalypse.  Who's the last Eagle?  How does one get an application to become an officially recognized Eagle of the Apocalypse? 

Is there room for a Fourth Eagle?  I think it'd be a great resume tag line.  :angel:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
Is there room for a Fourth Eagle?  I think it'd be a great resume tag line.  :angel:

Your application is rejected, due to flagitious motives.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »
Your application is rejected, due to flagitious motives.

I thought flagitious motives were a requirement for the position....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
I still don't understand what the non-book-burning has to do with the free speech OR the first ammendment. It's property rights, and nothing else.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »
Concur.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 09:42:10 AM »
I still don't understand what the non-book-burning has to do with the free speech OR the first ammendment. It's property rights, and nothing else.

Rev. Nutball's fortunate he said what he did here in the US.  Elsewhere, as for a not so random example, Canada, someone would have gone whining about their hurt feelings to a human "rights" tribunal, and Rev. Nutball would have been scolded, fined, etc.

(I had a run-in online once with someone who claimed to be a past member of the BC human rights commission.  Wow -- talk about two people's separated by a common language.) 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
It's property rights, and nothing else.

Need a county burn permit, also  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Need a county burn permit, also  ;)

Yes, we must account for the car-bonz!  Pay your car-bonz sin tax!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
Yes, we must account for the car-bonz!  Pay your car-bonz sin tax!

No, actually it's to keep the local fire dept from being called out on a false alarm, or from being called out for a "controlled" burn that got out of control.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin