Author Topic: Republicans vastly outnumbering Dems in primary turnout  (Read 1917 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Republicans vastly outnumbering Dems in primary turnout
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I just heard this.  If you can forgive the messenger, it looks like Republicans are showing up to vote in numbers we haven't seen Tallpine hasn't seen since 1926.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/karl-rove-republican-turnout-at-its-highest-since-1926/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703691804575254652185973976.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Republicans vastly outnumbering Dems in primary turnout
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:49:12 PM »
The generic ballot polls have been portending something interesting, too.  The Repubs are up some 10% over the Dems, there.  I can't recall a time when the Repubs were anywhere near even with Dems in the general ballot numbers, never mind so far ahead. (Back in '94 maybe?  I don't remember.) 

This is huge.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:04:10 PM »
The generic ballot polls have been portending something interesting, too.  The Repubs are up some 10% over the Dems, there.  I can't recall a time when the Repubs were anywhere near even with Dems in the general ballot numbers, never mind so far ahead. (Back in '94 maybe?  I don't remember.) 

This is huge.

If I recall correctly, the only other time Republicans have been up on the generic ballot was the final poll before 1994. I think they were up by 4 at that time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:25:17 AM »
.....are showing up to vote in numbers we haven't seen Tallpine hasn't seen since 1926........

nonsense, pines fall over and rot well before 50yo. =D oh maybe that's just lob lollies. <-- ugliest tree that ever sprouted.

sorry TP, man that was worse, sorry pine. bad day and felt like laughing at the trees that ruined the only pics i've been able to take in the last year. this morning. or was it yesterday morn? [tinfoil]

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »
Opposition party primary turnout high before midterms.

Sky blue.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »
Response to thread without reading article.

Sky blue.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
Well, actually - PapaPine was born in 1926  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
And again I point out that over the past 40+ years most pre-election polls were generally in favor of the Dem's by anywhere from 5-9% from the actual results.

I saw a poll today that showed Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Bill Clinton) losing 28% to 57.5% to Boozman.

And that's before the ethics charges were filed !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »
Republicans generally show better when the polls are from "Likely Voters", but yeah, Dems are usually favored a bit.

Also, these days you almost always have to dig into the details and look at the actual questions asked because the responses are easily manipulated.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
Opposition party primary turnout high before midterms.

Sky blue.
More like sky purple and yellow polkadots.  This is something none of us have ever seen before, and nobody really knows just what to make of it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »
More like sky purple and yellow polkadots.  This is something none of us have ever seen before, and nobody really knows just what to make of it.

And you won't until after the election. All this shows is that Democrats will lose lots of seats. It all depends on who they lose them to.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:42:50 AM »
And you won't until after the election. All this shows is that Democrats will lose lots of seats. It all depends on who they lose them to.

Very true...the biggest victory in the Delaware Senate race is that, instead of a 100% chance of electing a liberal, Delaware has a 50% chance of electing a conservative...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.