Author Topic: Clyburn: GOP Congress will swamp White House with subpoenas  (Read 5916 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Clyburn: GOP Congress will swamp White House with subpoenas
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 03:06:24 AM »
The 14th amendment's quite plain language, not its misinterpretation, gives us the anchor baby issue. 

The 'long form' will not satisfy birthers, as the 'short form' already proves the location of Obama's birth.  Whatever is on the long form, unless it shows he was born somewhere else, it cannot even in theory be relevant to his job now.  I do not support feeding the sideshow to Obama's actual (lack of) performance.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
IMO, the Republicans would be stupid to officially touch this issue.  IMO, letting it roll around the back alleys of US politics for 2 more years probably helps them as much as anything else.  I was always more interested in his college transcripts and papers and such.  I think those would show either interesting things on college funding or show that Bush was smarter than him or something. 

On the OP, I think Republicans would be smart to keep any investigations of the Obama administration quiet and as dignified as possible.  They don't want to waste the next two years on that stuff and not get any legislative goals accomplished. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »
. . . The 'long form' will not satisfy birthers, as the 'short form' already proves the location of Obama's birth . . .
No. At that time the short form "Certificate of Live Birth" was available and issued to babies born elsewhere. The "long form" is very specific about the place of actual birth.

Most likely it exists, is valid . . . and as already discussed, shows something that would be embarassing to Obama; maybe it lists race as "White" or maybe it lists religion as "Moslem." In the first case, people would claim he's not America's ". . . first Black president."  (HA!) In the second case, in the eyes of a couple of hundred million Moslems, it would show him as an apostate, which is regarded as a Bad Thing. (Fatwa time . . . )

IMO, the Republicans would be stupid to officially touch this issue.
The smartest way to touch this issue - without abandoning it entirely - would be at the state level - where some states could pass a law requiring submission of a certified copy of the birth certificate by any candidate running for an office that requires "natural born" citizenship.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 04:07:23 PM »
Posted on wrong thread. :(
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:30 PM »
The flap about his birth certificate serves to obscure the larger issue which is nothing of the man's background is available for public scrutiny.  And then there is the matter of a blue hose law firm being employed to hinder access to documents of his background.  How come?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 12:25:22 AM »
No. At that time the short form "Certificate of Live Birth" was available and issued to babies born elsewhere. The "long form" is very specific about the place of actual birth.

Most likely it exists, is valid . . . and as already discussed, shows something that would be embarassing to Obama; maybe it lists race as "White" or maybe it lists religion as "Moslem." In the first case, people would claim he's not America's ". . . first Black president."  (HA!) In the second case, in the eyes of a couple of hundred million Moslems, it would show him as an apostate, which is regarded as a Bad Thing. (Fatwa time . . . )
The smartest way to touch this issue - without abandoning it entirely - would be at the state level - where some states could pass a law requiring submission of a certified copy of the birth certificate by any candidate running for an office that requires "natural born" citizenship.

The certificate we have shows his place of birth, and if it can be faked in a conspiracy involving the Governor of Hawaii, so can the original. 

Any other details are irrelevant to what he's doing now; this is sideshow politics.  It'd be like the Dems alleging Sarah Palin was born a man.  Hard to imagine an attack with less substance.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 01:09:03 AM »
Any other details are irrelevant to what he's doing now; this is sideshow politics. 

Yeah, I guess. Kinda like what Clyburn was doing by suggesting the Republicans would start birther-ing when they got a majority. Interesting.

Has anyone heard of a Republican Congressman using the birther controversy to stir things up?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »
Hard to imagine an attack with less substance.
Almost as silly as going after a big-time gangster behind things like the St. Valentine's Day Massacre with something trivial and unrelated like tax code paperwork . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
The flap about his birth certificate serves to obscure the larger issue which is nothing of the man's background is available for public scrutiny.  And then there is the matter of a blue hose law firm being employed to hinder access to documents of his background.  How come?
This has been my opinion about the whole thing, but I find it all very amusing the way the whole issue has not gone away, but almost expanded.  Democrats seem to get increasingly shrill and dismissive and vocal about it even though Republicans aren't saying anything about it at all.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:10:43 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
I'm not a birther, either, but it is interesting that even to question O's citizenship is considered racist, crazy, or just bad form. I didn't see that reaction when John McCain's citizenship was questioned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23415028

Also amusing is the common rejoinder that G.W. Bush never had to show a birth cert. As if.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife