Author Topic: Wolfenstein on my computer?  (Read 7672 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Wolfenstein on my computer?
« on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
Since the only gaming equipment I ever had (briefly) was a 2600 jr, I haz no skillz. The last FPS shooter I could play decently was Wolfenstein 3D, on the computers at high school.

How do I play this on my current PC?

It is an hp desktop, circa 2007, running Win 7 or XP. Or Ubuntu, if necessary.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Wolfenstein on my computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:26 AM »
I don't know.  Probably through dosbox.

Too bad you're not a doom kind of guy:

sudo apt-get install freedoom

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:53 AM »
I've still got a functioning (last time I checked in the '90s) Wolfenstein demo floppy disk somewhere around here.

I wonder if it's worth any money.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:54:18 AM »
Well Nick, I can tell you the first cmd I'll be passing around at the start of next quarter's C++ class.  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »
You definitely want you some DosBox there, Fistful.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »
Get yourself the "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" release.  Lots more fun, and it will run on an older WinXP box.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:26:28 AM »
Did the dos box thing. Played a couple of levels, Wolf 3D. Thanks.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:41:10 PM »
On the one hand, I'm impressed that the Germans can train dogs to use chamber pots. On the other, I wonder why the trays of people food are always on the floor, but never on the tables.  ???

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »
You can get a SNES emulator and play Wolfenstein 3D on your computer:

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/55173/snes204/Wolfenstein-3D.html

http://www.romnation.net/srv/emulators/snes.html

You will just need to buy a game controller for your computer and your are good to go.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
On the one hand, I'm impressed that the Germans can train dogs to use chamber pots. On the other, I wonder why the trays of people food are always on the floor, but never on the tables.  ???

Literally for technical reasons.  Each object in the game is essentially a cube with a single sprite painted on it's surfaces (except soldiers and other objects with ''multiple" sides.) You can't put anything 'on top' of anything else in the map, it'd just appear 'inside' it.

RTCW had food and beer on the tables, though.
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
Um... why would you want to play the SNES version, at all?  IIRC, isn't that the version with no blood whatsoever?
I seem to remember that coming out in the days when Nintendo was all anti-blood (witness both Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat, both bloodless unless youy used Game Genies / other means)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:00:18 AM »
Hans Grosse is dead.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
Is USB support active On these emulators? Most game pads are USB.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 02:03:19 AM »
Is USB support active On these emulators? Most game pads are USB.

Yes they are.  You can by the game pads on ebay, granted they most likely come from china, but they do the job for around $10.  They have emulators for all the old game systems, Atari, NES, SNES, Sega, Nintendo64, etc.  I only play game systems that are no longer in production.  It's a thin line, if you know what I mean.

Gemoriah.com

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:36:18 AM »
Cool. Thanks.  RTCW is one of my all time favorite games. Along with Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and (really old) Total Annihilation. Got some downloading and installing to do.     

What game pads do you suggest?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:59:27 AM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »
Cool. Thanks.  RTCW is one of my all time favorite games. Along with Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior and (really old) Total Annihilation. Got some downloading and installing to do.     

You've heard that Duke Nukem Forever is actually coming out (next summer, IIRC), right?  Major gaming magazines have actually SEEN it now - it's not vaporware anymore! After only twelve years, too! :laugh:

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »

You've seen the Supreme Commander series, no? 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »
You've heard that Duke Nukem Forever is actually coming out (next summer, IIRC), right?  Major gaming magazines have actually SEEN it now - it's not vaporware anymore! After only twelve years, too! :laugh:

I've seen the same stories.  I sure hope they are true this time, as it's been a long wait.  This is definitely one of those, "I'll believe it when I see it", things.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »

Depends on the type of system you are emulating.  I have a playstation type controller, but it doesn't work as well for the N64 game system I am emulating.

Gemoriah.com

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
I've seen the same stories.  I sure hope they are true this time, as it's been a long wait.  This is definitely one of those, "I'll believe it when I see it", things.

Well, PC Gamer has actually reviewed it - that's further than it's ever been before!

I'll grant that, after 12 years, fans are probably best served by holding off on believing it'll reach release until they're actually holding the box in their hand...

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »
come to quakelive.com. and prepare to die! :angel:

really it should run acceptably on your box. and it's is be fun. [popcorn]

i'm me over there. [tinfoil]

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 12:57:16 AM »
come to quakelive.com. and prepare to die! :angel:

really it should run acceptably on your box. and it's is be fun. [popcorn]

i'm me over there. [tinfoil]

What's that for?  Just Quake?  I play some Quake 3 Arena.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:37 AM »
it's the updated rehashed Q3A, models/skins are bigger. it's locked at 125fps for strafing,(no matter what refresh rate your really running) weapons are balanced different,(not better just different) and it's unlagged. [barf] but all in all, atleast there are full servers. oh you can't change your nic without making a new account(and paying for it if you want any of the pay account only stuff) and if you want to run a custom clan tag you have to have a pay account. =| i tried to pay for the subscription but couldn't get it to go through. :laugh:

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
it's the updated rehashed Q3A, models/skins are bigger. it's locked at 125fps for strafing,(no matter what refresh rate your really running) weapons are balanced different,(not better just different) and it's unlagged. [barf] but all in all, atleast there are full servers. oh you can't change your nic without making a new account(and paying for it if you want any of the pay account only stuff) and if you want to run a custom clan tag you have to have a pay account. =| i tried to pay for the subscription but couldn't get it to go through. :laugh:

Yeah, I keep calling it Q3A but it's actually Open Arena that I play.

If I just launch Open Arena and hit network servers, are those the same games as this website?  How does the site launch the game?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
Does anyone play Q3Live under Windows 7 x64?  I couldn't get it to run, at least not the demo/practice area.  I've been jonesing for some old school FPS action.

I would be happy with Classic Quake if anyone still had a server up and running. :D

Chris