Author Topic: While the world struggled with COVID-19 ...  (Read 852 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
While the world struggled with COVID-19 ...
« on: April 18, 2020, 12:05:33 AM »
... a robotic space vehicle successfully repaired a dying satellite, extending its useful life for another five years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/17/northrop-grumman-mev-1-spacecraft-services-intelsat-901-satellite.html

That's pretty cool stuff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: While the world struggled with COVID-19 ...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:55:53 AM »
Saw that story yesterday.  A really great idea.  According to the story, the service satellite can move on to rescue another in about five years time.
I wonder how extensive the service is, actually.  Component replacement is likely not occurring as the failed satellite would had to have been designed with that in mind.  To the best of my knowledge, geosync birds like that one were not designed that way as there was no practical way back then to reach them once they were in orbit.
My guess would be the rescue bird is just clamping on to the failed satellite and performing station keeping duties.  The original satellite is so old it probably exhausted its fuel supply some time back.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
My guess would be the rescue bird is just clamping on to the failed satellite and performing station keeping duties.  The original satellite is so old it probably exhausted its fuel supply some time back.
Yes, this is exactly what is going on. No real repair, just piggybacking and providing stationkeeping.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »

I agree. Basically a space-going version of these: https://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-External-Portable-Compatible-Electric/dp/B07H87HKKM/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=cell+phone+battery+booster&qid=1587219487&sr=8-9
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design