Author Topic: Rick Perry's tax plan  (Read 1891 times)

grampster

• friend
Rick Perry's tax plan
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
 Quote from ABC News:

"Rick Perry's Economic Fix: 20% Flat Tax, Cap Spending at 18% of GDP (ABC News)
Texas Gov. Rick Perry tonight, in an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal,  previewed his tax and spending plan, officially called the  “cut, balance and grow” plan, which aims to revamp the tax code, balance the budget, reform entitlement programs and create jobs.
“The folks in Washington might not like to hear it, but the plain truth is the U.S. government spends too much. Taxes are too high, too complex,  and too riddled with special interest loopholes. And our expensive entitlement system is unsustainable in the long run,” Perry wrote in the Wall Street Journal.
“Without significant change quickly, our nation will go the way of some in Europe: mired in debt and unable to pay our bills. President Obama and many in Washington seem unable or unwilling to tackle these issues, either out of fear of alienating the left or because they want Americans to be dependent on big government.”
[Related: Flat tax proposals in U.S. history]
The plan, which Perry will officially unveil Tuesday in Gray Court, S.C., proposes an optional 20 percent  flat tax rate, allowing taxpayers to submit their taxes on a postcard.
“The plan starts with giving Americans a choice between a new, flat tax rate of 20 percent or their current income tax rate,” Perry writes. “The new flat tax preserves mortgage interest, charitable and state and local tax exemptions for families earning less than $500,000 annually, and it increases the standard deduction to $12,500 for individuals and dependents.”
The plan also drops the corporate tax rate to 20 percent and will temporarily lower the rate to 5.25 percent to promote companies working overseas to move to the U.S. along with implementing a “territorial tax system,” which will  tax in-country income.
The plan will eliminate the death tax and end taxes on Social Security, which would help an estimated 17 million Americans receiving benefits today. It would also cut taxes on qualified dividends and long-term capital gains.
Perry sets a goal to balance the budget by 2020 by capping federal spending at 18 percent of GDP, banning earmarks and future bailouts and passing a balanced budget amendment.
Until the budget is balanced, Perry’s plan would freeze federal civilian hiring and spending, and place a moratorium on all pending federal regulations, along with auditing any regulations, instituted since 2008.
Perry promises the repeal of President Obama’s health care plan, Dodd-Frank and Sarbonnes Oxley.
On entitlement reform, Perry says his plan will stop the “raiding” of the Social Security Trust Fund and allow younger generations to set up personal retirement accounts.
“Fixing America’s tax, spending and entitlement cultures will not be easy. But the status quo of byzantine taxes, loose spending and the perpetual delay of entitlement reform is a recipe for disaster,” Perry wrote.
“Cut, balance and grow strikes a major blow against the Washington-knows-best mind-set. It takes money from spendthrift bureaucrats and returns it to families. It puts fewer job-killing regulations on employers and more restrictions on politicians. It gives more freedom to Americans to control their own destiny.  And just as importantly, the cut, balance and grow plan paves the way for the job creation, balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility we need to get America working again.”

Works for me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Rick Perry's tax plan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
Anybody here believes that Perry is going to actually make an attempt to promote this plan? That it will actually be submitted to the legislature, debated, and voted on?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
the plain truth is the U.S. government spends too much

What a startling revelation!  :O

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:21 PM »
I have no idea if this could be pulled off, or if it could, if Perry would follow through. I like what he has in it though. When I first saw the headline, I thought 20% was too high, but given the qualifiers listed in the OP, I could live with this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »
The problem with all of the good plans is that they ignore the fact that "America Two," as I like to call it, cannot survive without the overgrown welfare state we have systematically created since at least LBJ's time.  The sound plans favor the productive and economic growth, but that means nothing to the substantial chunk of America that is increasingly dependent on government hand-outs and transfers.  America One is carrying a lot of weight on its back, and no one really wants to talk about this.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
So....instead of a tax plan that would dramatically cut the need and size of the IRS, Perry proposes a plan that will actually require the increase of the Internal Revenue Service?....  :facepalm:

Texans were stupid to re-elect him governor....and Americans would be stupid to elect him POTUS.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:39:55 AM »
So....how does it work that you can choose 20% or keep the old one? Does the old tax rate come with the same mess of deductions and exemptions we have now?

It's a better plan than Romney's I'll give it that, but not a great one IMO.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.