Author Topic: I fear for our country  (Read 17941 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: I fear for our country
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:59 PM »
I would estimate that 99 percent of the people who rag on ivy league educations wouldn't be able to perform academically at any of them, regardless of whether they are in a bonehead course or not. 

Well, I don't put much stock in degrees and such as I've seen plenty of idiots stumble their way through Masters courses only to fail in the professional world.  I worked with a phD from MIT on a software project for 2 years, and while he was certainly competent he didn't exactly blow me away.  That surprised me a bit.

But I do think a VP should be able to sail right on through an episode of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
GigaBuist, I watched O'Reilly. The stories about Palin not knowing that Africa is a continent and not a country are not only implausible, but come from "unnamed sources" within the campaign. Sounds to me like some staffers who want to have jobs in future campaigns might be trying to cover up their mistakes, or perhaps the "unnamed sources" are the New York Times.

stjeanp

• My Website
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 03:23:20 AM »
Actually, she was correct about the VP's job with regard to the Senate. Unfortunately, our recently elected VP does not.

Article 1, section 3 of the Constitution says:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

So, other than casting the tie breaking vote, what exactly does the VP do?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 06:13:59 AM »
Article 1, section 3 of the Constitution says:

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

So, other than casting the tie breaking vote, what exactly does the VP do?

I saw the debate live. 

She was correct in her assessment (or at least more correct than Biden was). 

To paraphrase her answer, the VP has the executive role as replacement POTUS & whatever executive authority the POTUS wishes to cede and the VP has the role of Pres of Senate and whatever authority the Senate wishes to cede.

Biden, OTOH, got the substance wrong.  The difference is, Biden can spout utter bullsh!t and do so with an air of confidence, "Mark my words...Let me repeat (the same bullsh!t I said earlier)..."

Oh, well, you are not the first person not persuadable by fact after getting the MSM spin-worm embedded in your brain.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 06:25:48 AM »
Yeah but what's that got to do with her potential as a president?   =)

I would estimate that 99 percent of the people who rag on ivy league educations wouldn't be able to perform academically at any of them, regardless of whether they are in a bonehead course or not. 

Your assertion may have held water prior to 1970.  IL ed is not what it once was.  I would have no trouble wagering that a (successful) hard science major from any randomly-selected cow college would do well in not only core curriculum courses, but in IL hard science courses.

Recall, that Brooke Shields received an IL education.  She majored in one or two of the "-studies" wastes of time.

One can get a perfectly worthless education at an IL school, now that they have so adulterated their core curriculum.

Toss in the effects of affirmative-action picks and the courses required to cater to them so they do not wash out their first year, and what was once an indisputably steep academic slope is now much more accommodating.

Affirmative action picks also demonstrate that a cohort of significantly less academically talented folks can be admitted and graduate, although at a lesser successful proportion than the non-AA chohort, and with less-useful/rigorous degrees.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 09:33:55 AM »
I saw the debate live. 

She was correct in her assessment (or at least more correct than Biden was). 

True.  I would be willing to cut Palin some slack, since she probably doesn't have an extensive background in Con Law, but Biden has no excuse.  He took Con Law in law school and has taught Con Law.  The fact that he doesn't know the Constitution backwards and forwards inexcusable.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »
Recall, that Brooke Shields received an IL education.  She majored in one or two of the "-studies" wastes of time.

No, she graduated from Princeton. She has a literature degree.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »

Isn't Princeton an IL school?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »
Yes. Princeton is an Ivy League school.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Kyle

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 03:27:56 PM »
Yes, there are a lot of Christian Conservatives.

There are also a lot of secular ones. You need us, we need you.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Ah, I am an idiot. I thought he meant the state.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

She can READ?... ???

She hides it well...   :rolleyes:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 07:35:10 AM »
Hell, she didn't even know what the VP's job with regards to the Senate is.  Maybe worrying about things like that make me part of the establishment, but I'm OK with that.

Well, Blushing Bride Biden wants to be right there on Obama's arm for all those meetings with enemy leaders.  Isn't the VP's job to be as far away from the President as possible when dangerous things are happening, to make sure nobody can easily get both of them?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »
Ivy League Schools:
    * Brown University
    * Columbia University
    * Cornell University
    * Dartmouth College
    * Harvard University
    * University of Pennsylvania
    * Princeton University
    * Yale University
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »

Nice campus, too. The buildings are High Gothic, all stone with gargoyles, leaded-glass windows and stuff. It could stand in for Hogwart's.