Author Topic: Campaign Finance Reform  (Read 1321 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
Campaign Finance Reform
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »
OK, so now that we know what happens when one candidate takes the public money and one doesn't, what are the odds of anyone else taking the public money?  McCain-Feingold was crap but at least it was a start towards fixing a big problem.  Personally, I don't think there should be caps on what you can donate but I think all donations should be made public.  Obviously, they should all be made by American citizens.  After everything I've read about The Obama's lack of safeguards, I would love to see the list of his donors.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Campaign Finance Reform
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »
McCain-Feingold was crap but at least it was a start towards fixing a big problem.

The moment you concede the rightness of a little government intrusion into what used to be the market of free ideas, you actually surrender the market to government.

The way we financed political campaigns never needed to be so-called "reformed" in the oft-cited "first place."
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
The McCain-Fiengold First Amendment Defenestration Act was a "reform" in the same way that My Lai was a "liberation."

No sane or competitive candidate will now take public/taxpayer financing and its restrictions.

I agree with SW that the amount not be capped, that it be posted to the net for transparency the instant the transaction is made, and that only American citizens be able to contribute..
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
OK, so now that we know what happens when one candidate takes the public money and one doesn't, what are the odds of anyone else taking the public money? 

By 2012, that problem will be solved.....candidates will only be allowed to spend what the gov't approves for them to spend....and only if the candidate meets the gov't qualifications for funding....

....and watch third parties be run out of existence.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.