Author Topic: Why is it...?  (Read 7403 times)

drewtam

• friend
Why is it...?
« on: June 30, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »
Why is it that in every single television show and movie, when they want to portray a Christian singing or music playing, they play/sing "Amazing Grace"? Without fail, every single time.

My theory is that they don't know any of the other hundreds of songs, most of them much better. To put it more bluntly, the show writers and directors' shallow depth of understanding anything Christian is limited to this one song. Thats all they know. If its portraying conservative Christians, and they don't want to be negative, the best they can come up with is "Amazing Grace".

Got any better theories?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Why is it...?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »
If they're going to sing Amazing Grace couldn't they at least have the characters sing it to the theme of Gilligan's Island?

That would at least be more entertaining.
Andy

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:08 PM »
Is there any certain shows that you are talking about?

If they're going to sing Amazing Grace couldn't they at least have the characters sing it to the theme of Gilligan's Island?

That would at least be more entertaining.

lol, that would be pretty funny  cheesy Although I don't know how well that would work, The Gilligan's Island theme song is a lot faster than Amazing Grace.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »
Is there some reason to mock a truly traditional and reverent Christian song.  If you don't like hearing it that's fine, but why make fun of it?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »
Is there any certain shows that you are talking about?

Any of them, all of them. It doesn't matter which show. Its sad really.

I've sung Amazing Grace to Gilligans Island before. Its pretty funny. IIRC it works cause they're both in 3/4 time, just different bpm and notes.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:25:33 PM »
Is there some reason to mock a truly traditional and reverent Christian song.  If you don't like hearing it that's fine, but why make fun of it?

Didn't mean to come off as mocking, just as a bit of light-hearted humor. (Try it. You can sing Amazing Grace to the theme of Gilligan's Island.)

There are quite a few members here who could tell you I'm a committed Christian myself. They may not agree with my denomination (Catholic), but I'm not one to glibly mock Christianity.
Andy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:21:56 AM »
Amazing grace is a great song, though I reject the concept of specifically 'christian' music.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 05:20:32 AM »
Why?

Because it is probably the single most recognized hymn of all time and conveys, in very clear terms, an individual's passage from trial and doubt to personal salvation in Christ. The back story makes it even more compelling.

Firefly has one episode where Amazing Grace is sung in a funeral scene.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »
You can also sing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" Wink

BTW, John Newton became a slave ship captain after he became a Christian.  It was some years later that he left that occupation and became a minister.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 06:18:58 AM »
"John Newton became a slave ship captain after he became a Christian."

But he was a crew member on slavers for a number of years before he his conversion to Christianity started around 1750.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »
"John Newton became a slave ship captain after he became a Christian."

But he was a crew member on slavers for a number of years before he his conversion to Christianity started around 1750.

Yes, but I was just contradicting the popular myth that he suddenly gave up all his "sins" after being "born again" Wink

It's been a long time since I read his autobiography, but IIRC the connections he made after he "straightened up and followed Christ" enabled him to advance to captain from drunken sailor.  And my memory just isn't as good as it used to be...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »
Ok, I just wasn't sure what you were trying to do.

It's true that Newton remained on slavers for quite a few years after his conversion.

But, he refused to allow his men to abuse the slaves. Apparently that included the then rather common practice of raping the women slaves.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Newton did eventually come around to strongly opposing slavery.  But as has been noted, it was some years after he wrote his famous hymn.

Firefly has one episode where Amazing Grace is sung in a funeral scene. 

I think every show has one of those.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
Yes he did.

Very strongly, in fact. Later in life he was a friend and ardent supporter of William Wilberforce, who was the driving force behind the British abolition movement.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
Amazing Grace is played because Christian music is terrible and is performed by people with little to no talent who just put together a few basic chords and sloppily strung together some popular Bible verses.

As far as other hymns, I dunno.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
Amazing Grace is played because Christian music is terrible and is performed by people with little to no talent who just put together a few basic chords and sloppily strung together some popular Bible verses.

Rich Mullins and the Ragamuffin Band has some good stuff. Cheesy
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
Wow... you... you really CAN sing Amazing Grace to the theme of Gilligan's Island.  cheesy

Link

Funnier than it should be.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 09:59:26 AM »
LOL, Cheesy

crt360

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
Amazing Grace also fits the tune to "House of the Rising Sun."   smiley

Uh, the other hymns can actually be pretty slammin'.  There was a time when church music was a high art, rather than just "a ministry."  But your analysis is unfortunately accurate about most of the Christian music being recorded or written for congregational singing today.

And plus one about Rich Mullins.  RIP.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »

As opposed to all the other complex and imaginative pop music one hears.  rolleyes
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:34 PM »
No, I'm afraid he has a point, if he's talking about contemporary stuff. 

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »

I dare you to compare a Christian pop station and a secular pop station and then try to say that. Most pop music is neither technically complex musically nor deep and meaningful lyrically. It's true Christian musicians are generally drawn from a smaller pool so some of the stuff getting airtime might be slightly worse than average, but overall they are very similar in overall quality.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »

Of course, then there's those particular sorts of catholic churches who still think 70's folk rock is cool...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »

Of course, then there's those particular sorts of catholic churches who still think 70's folk rock is cool...

What he said.

Yeech.
Andy