Author Topic: Why is it...?  (Read 7404 times)

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Why is it...?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
Amazing Grace is a well known Christian hymn, perhaps the most widely recognized of such hymns. It may be the only Christian hymn the heathen TV/movie writers ever heard of. It is also common in most varieties of Christianity.

I get misty eyes listening to a good bagpipe rendition.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 02:08:58 PM »
Contemporary religious music is just as crappy as contemporary pop music, imo.
Occasionally (for both genres) I will find the gem in the non-gem storm, but most of the time I go "eeek"
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »
Amazing Grace is a well known Christian hymn, perhaps the most widely recognized of such hymns. It may be the only Christian hymn the heathen TV/movie writers ever heard of. It is also common in most varieties of Christianity.

I get misty eyes listening to a good bagpipe rendition.

My dad has a record (yes, actual vinyl) of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards playing Amazing Grace.  Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

I grew up listening to it, and it's amazing that I didn't wear out the grooves on it. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 03:23:24 PM »
I've sung Amazing Grace to Gilligans Island before. Its pretty funny. IIRC it works cause they're both in 3/4 time, just different bpm and notes.

It also works with "The House of the Rising Sun".

Edit: Missed that, but it was just Fistful who said it, so it's OK. Tongue

Coincidentally, I just heard a song last night whose chorus mentioned listening to "Sweet Home Alabama", and it had an arrangement of SHA with a little extra piano, that sounded just like "Werewolves of London". Anybody know this song?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »
Already said that, DJJ.  Tongue

Cosine, Manedwolf, can you elaborate on the 70s folk rock thing? 

I dare you to compare a Christian pop station and a secular pop station and then try to say that. Most pop music is neither technically complex musically nor deep and meaningful lyrically. It's true Christian musicians are generally drawn from a smaller pool so some of the stuff getting airtime might be slightly worse than average, but overall they are very similar in overall quality. 

No one claimed that pop was deep, meaningful or complex.  I don't think that's what pop music is about, and I don't think that's what we're talking about.  Pop music doesn't depend on depth or musical complexity, and I think the main problem with Christian music is that it tries to be meaningful in a not-so-meaningful medium. 

Maybe it's like a bunch of people hanging out, joking around about something like, say fuel prices, and suddenly one humorless individual starts getting all serious about it.  And everyone just wishes he would shut up, so we can get back to having fun.  I can recall some fun Christian pop that worked pretty well.  Unfortunately, if it's all about fun, it's going to be more pop than Christian, so you can only take that so far. 

Not that there isn't some good Christian rock/pop/folk out there. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »

Think of the stuff by Marty Haugen and the like. The St. Louis Jesuits, etc.
Andy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »

No classical hymns, everything re-interpreted into "Kumbaya"ish folk versions utilizing a single acoustic guitar and the most grating vocalist possible. Often found in churches where the decor has also not been updated since the 70's tranformed it into an interior design error of burnt orange and post-hippie tapestries.

And yes, they still exist.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »
ManedWolf, are you familiar with Interior Desecrations?  Great book.   laugh

Cosine those names are really not ringing a bell with me, but thanks for trying.   smiley  In general, I know the kind of vibe you all are talking about.  I think a lot of the music we sang in my old churches was from the seventies, and we were still singing them in the early nineties.  I prefer the 1770s for church music.  Or earlier.  Ein Feste Burg, anyone?  Oh, wait, sorry Catholics.  Tongue

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
Ein Feste Burg, anyone?  Oh, wait, sorry Catholics.  Tongue

That one is in a lot of traditional Catholic hymnals nowadays. Good, strong, awe-inspiring hymn. Nothing heretical in it either (coming from Martin Luther), as far as I know.
Andy

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »
Coincidentally, I just heard a song last night whose chorus mentioned listening to "Sweet Home Alabama", and it had an arrangement of SHA with a little extra piano, that sounded just like "Werewolves of London". Anybody know this song?

It is called All Summer Long by Kid Rock, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA When I first heard it I first thought it was Wereolves of London because the piano parts sounds just like it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
That one is in a lot of traditional Catholic hymnals nowadays. Good, strong, awe-inspiring hymn. Nothing heretical in it either (coming from Martin Luther), as far as I know.

Thanks for reassuring me that Mr. Luther was not being heretical.  I was truly quite worried.   grin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:11 PM »
The House of the Rising Sun version of Amazing Grace.  grin
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2008, 03:35:37 AM »

It is called All Summer Long by Kid Rock, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA When I first heard it I first thought it was Wereolves of London because the piano parts sounds just like it.
That's it, and now that I hear it again, it is "Werewolves of London".

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2008, 03:48:52 AM »

Thanks for reassuring me that Mr. Luther was not being heretical.  I was truly quite worried.   grin

Oh, I can go dig up something heretical by Martin Luther if you really want it. grin You just got lucky that with that one hymn there's nothing heretical in it. Wink
Andy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2008, 05:10:23 AM »
"My dad has a record (yes, actual vinyl) of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards playing Amazing Grace."

If that's the one I think it is, it went to number 1 on the pop charts in Britain and Australia for several weeks.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 07:25:17 AM »
I love the bag pipes version of Amazing Grace. Very powerful stuff.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 08:31:56 AM »
Oh, I can go dig up something heretical by Martin Luther if you really want it. grin  

Like that whole anti-indulgences thing.  What an infidel, right?   laugh