Author Topic: Any "Kirts" about???  (Read 7409 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Any "Kirts" about???
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:15:59 AM »
My first name is Kirk.  Every so often I get things here at the old law ranch addressed to "Kirt", not "Curt", not "Kurt", but "Kirt".  Today I received a substance abuse eval with my name as "Kirt."

I have absolutely no idea from where this name is derived.  The people that address me as "Kirt" all have noticable accents (to my Yankee ears) so I assume this is a common Southern first name.

Anyone with any insight?  Its driving me mad (O.K., O.K., I'm already there, but still would like to know).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:50:32 AM »
Kirk  add this name to a list
 This boy's name is used in English. Its source is kirkja, an Ancient Germanic word meaning "Church."

There are teasing nicknames (see Drawbacks).

The name Kirk ranked 979th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 288th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
Hey, Kirkster, ya think you got problems.  My first name is Riley.
Riley  add this name to a list
 This boy's and girl's name is used in English. Its source is ryge leah, an Old English phrase meaning "Rye clearing." Learn more about the heritage of this name.

Alternate spellings of the name Riley include: Ryley.

The name Riley ranked 100th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of 2000-2003 Social Security Administration statistics and 669th in popularity for males of all ages in a sample of the 1990 US Census.
http://tools.oxygen.com/babynamer/TypeASearch.cfm?Gender=B&Unique=1&TellMeAbout=kirk

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:57:52 AM »
Here's another site.  Are you a Kirkle, Kirkby or Kirkwell?
http://www.namestusa.com/searcher.asp

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:00:30 PM »
Riley, I used that baby namer thingy and typed in "Kirt".  It said it had no information available.  Wonder if there is a Southern baby namer website thingy?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:04:04 PM »
Riley, no, I am a "Kirk", but I get called "Kirt".  I have no idea where this "Kirt" name comes from, other than I know people with accents call me by it.

I typed in "Kirt" in the other website and it gave "Kirton" (an English Church).  Many Border Britons immigrated to the South.  Maybe it's a shortened version of Kirton?

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:06 PM »
'Kirt' apparently not too common
Other names starting with: Ki-, Kir-, Kirt-
Other names ending with: -rt, -irt
Popularity: The name Kirt was not ranked among 1219 first names for males of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census. The name Kirt ranked 51029 out of 88799 (Bottom 43%) as a surname for males and females of all ages in the 1990 U.S. Census.

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/name/1/Kirt

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »
Riley, no, I am a "Kirk", but I get called "Kirt".
I know.  I was just funnin' with ya, Kirkmeister. Smiley

Mongo

• http://mongomutter.blogspot.com/
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 12:15:05 PM »
How bout Kirkbob?

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
To be southern, it has to have a 'y' in it somewhere.  Maybe Kirky-Bob or Kirk-Bobby.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »
Sounds l,ike people are calling you "Kurt" as it is more common than Kirk. The Kirt spelling sounds like a marketing list / computerized bastardization of "Curt" and "Kirk". You may have spelled it off to someone in your travels that heard The K-I-R part of it but then, not being familiar with the name "Kirk" but having heard the name "Curt" before, superimposed a "T" even though you said "K". Just my wild hypothesis of course...

My LAST name gets recreated quite a bit and horribly mispronounced by telemarketers. I use it to my advantage. Whenever I get a call from someone who horribly mispronounces my name I say, "Sorry, noone here by that name."

My last name is Falade it is pronounced just like it looks "Fa - LA - dee" best one ever was " Is there a Mr "Faddle" there?" "No, I'm sorry, noone here by that name."

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 02:13:59 PM »
I desperately want to rant AGAIN about the fact that the FIRST thing you thought about when dumbasses misprounounced/missspelled/misused your name was that it must be some SOUTHERN thing.  I will restrain myself, since the Newcastle Brown Ale has brought me to a peaceful place and I'm not willing to give it up.

Suffice this:  AAAAAAAAAaaaarrrrrgggghhh how wrong you are about the ASSumptions you make regarding the Southern U.S.

In English linguistics, when a plosive comes at the end of a word (k, p, t, b, d, hard g), often colloquial speech is relaxed to the point where it is not enunciated.

If I'm on the phone and tell someone my name is Kirk, it usually sounds like
Ka rrrr (uh)
(Enunciated plosive, approximant, implied plosive).

Curt, Kurt.
Kirk.

Kirt. Skirt. Kilt.

Lots of etymological influences, but it's not a southern thing, unless by default a Scots or Irish derivation equates to southern.

Best regards.
Ben
(Enunciated plosive, close-mid vowel, nasal [sometimes implied])

grampster

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »
Just be grateful your name isn't Dick.  For years I thought my middle name was Giggle.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:30:42 PM »
El T,

Southern Gentleman Reporting sir...

Kirt...umm...Kirt, nope not a southern thang. I mean we use "tump" and "saucered & blowed" - now the un-edumacated think them are something..."dirty" - usually folks from "not from around these parts" like Hollywood.

I'd blame the Hollywood Folks if I were you, probably one of them critters too good to live in the States anymore and done moved off to France or somesuch place.

Now there was that time up in Canada, I heard a word sorta like "kirt".  One of them Ranger fellows we checked in with every 3 days or so while out canoeing , portaging and stuff. Oh yeah he said "Yooze guyz dun't get kirt", he was eating a smores at the time, I figured he meant "hurt", took another couple of years to figure out what a "yooze" is. Sure was not in my Bedford Forrest Southern Dictionary for sure...

Maybe the person was eating a smores when they were doing the mailing dealie....Huh?

I could be wrong tho'...I mean I kinda stayed confused as to what my name was... I actually thought my name was Hellfire sometimes, other times I thought it was Damnation, Folks always hollering out Hellfire and Damnation - what are you into now...?

Ain't easy growing up in the South, folks pointing your way, looking your way, doing that 'curly-finger-c'mere dealie'... Hellfire and Damnation - I can't turn my head for one second  I made it to Southern Gentleman-hood tho' - somehow- even though I kept getting distracted while trying to learn and figure out stuff...

Why tonight in Lab my instructor hollered out "Hellfire and Damnation" , - I didn't have to look, I knew he was talking to me...well he said to put the Crimp Tool, Fluke Meter and Transmitter back where I got 'em...I got them out of his chair...not my fault he didn't look before sitting down...

Just following directions...

They got Smores in Hollywood???

...has left the building.

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 06:30:42 PM »

theCZ

• friend
    • http://www.hunewill.com
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 07:42:59 PM »
anybody remember the old Seinfeld episode where Newman says, "If I am curt (kirt?)...  I apologize!"

Sorry, that's the first thing that came to my mind.

280plus

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 12:44:41 AM »
Having not worked with Southern boys for a while now, could you refresh my memory?

Is it 2 tads = a skoshe or 2 skoshes = a tad?

Tongue

Smith

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 02:09:33 AM »
Southerners don't use "skoshe."

1 tad + 1 tad = 1 bit

280plus

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 02:15:29 AM »
Maybe that was a Texas kid that told me that. He definitely said "skoshe". Are Texans southerners or westerners? I know they're SOUTH westerners...

Ok, I got it now.

Me, I'm just a **** Yankee!:O

Smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 02:28:02 AM »
Texans are NOT Southerners.

Me, I'm just a **** Yankee!
That's the truth. Tongue

Chris

280plus

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 02:31:50 AM »
Yes but I have it on good authority that Connecticut Yankees are "OK".

Wink

Paddy

Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 03:02:28 AM »
I understood anything from Dallas on east was the 'south'.   So east Texans are 'southerners', no?

JAlexander

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 04:20:45 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Texans are NOT Southerners.Chris
Man.  Nobody wants to claim us anymore.  

James

CatsDieNow

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2005, 04:23:10 AM »
Someone fat-fingered your name in the computer and sold it to others.

I have deliberatly misspelled my name so that I can figure out who sold my name to which company.

The worst one was when Cheaper than Dirt pulled my name off the 4473 form to build their mailing list.  I know this, since they had my full name, which I never use.  Wow, was I mad, called them up and demanded they remove it.

Stickjockey

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2005, 05:19:18 AM »
That's okay, El T. For the first six months of my membership the NRA was convinced I was Indian and insisted on sending the American Rifleman to a Darid Calhaun.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

El Tejon

• friend
Any "Kirts" about???
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 05:51:14 AM »
Fig, if the people have Southern accents, isn't it safe to say that they are Southern?  Thus, when people with Southern accents write my name as "Kirt", isn't it safe to think that "Kirt" is a Southern name, or to assume it (btw, I'm not assuming as I talk to the people)?

Anywho, don't know.  That's why I am asking; I'm just a dumb Yankee.  I may be chasing the wind, but I'll get to the bottom of it!

sm, hmmm, lots of Scots immigrated to Canada, so it may come from Canada.  However, the people writing my name as "Kirt" have Southern U.S. accents, not Canadian--what's this all aboot?

Maybe 280 has it.  It's a mishmash of "Kirk" and "Kurt".  But why come up with "Kirt"?  If you were confused, wouldn't you use "Kurt" or "Curt" as I have never seen the first name "Kirt."

KIRT, WHERE ARE YOU?