Author Topic: Illegal immigrant sentenced in Reno rape of paralyzed woman  (Read 7439 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20100526/NEWS01/100526016/1004/news01/Illegal+immigrant+sentenced+in+Reno+rape+of+paralyzed+woman+

A life in prison term was imposed Wednesday upon a married father of one who dragged a paralyzed woman out of her wheelchair, raped her, and then left her lying nude in an alley.

The woman, who suffers from cerebral palsy, had been in a shopping center Oct. 30 in the 3300 block of North McCarran Boulevard when Joel Eliazar Ortega, 30, led her behind a business and attacked her. Soon after, Reno police officers responding to a call that Ortega was battering his wife in their nearby apartment, recognized Ortega as fitting the description of the suspect. He was arrested after the victim identified him.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Bruce Hahn described the crime as among the most ghastly sexual assaults he’s ever seen.

“She was dragged from her wheelchair, her clothes taken off, sexually assaulted and then left lying in an alley,” said Washoe District Judge Patrick Flanagan. “I have listened to you carefully, and you said ‘things happen’ and you get in trouble based on your behavior and doctors say you can’t take care of your daughter.

“You are a danger,” Flanagan said. “...you are lucky there is only one life sentence I can impose in this case.”

In rendering a sentence of life against Ortega, Flannagan said he would be eligible for parole after serving at least 10 years in prison. Ortega is also an illegal immigrant who also must face immigration charges.

“You will be deported at the earliest opportunity and will never return to this country again, except lawfully,” Flanagan said.

Ortega had apologized for the crime and said “I need help.”

His public defender, John Malone, said Ortega has been receiving treatment at the state’s mental hospital for several years. He blamed the rape on Ortega not taking his psychiatric medicines and drinking alcohol.

Ortega pleaded guilty to the rape, and was also convicted of domestic violence, related to when police responded to his apartment after the assault.

The victim was not present in court, although her father was and said he was too emotional to speak about the incident.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Illegal immigrant sentenced in Reno rape of paralyzed woman
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
So do we throw him in prison for 10 years (20 is more likely, if he lives that long) and then deport him, or does our stupid State Department deport him to Mexico right now? (so he can sneak back here next week)
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
Ortega had apologized for the crime and said “I need help.”

I offer help free of charge for this unfortunate man.

It will cure all his problems at once.  Come conveniently packaged in 115, 158 or 230gr doses.

Seriously though, there's folks that need help, then theres medicated predators.  This man is one of the latter.  He can obviously not be trusted to medicate himself, and as such can't be trusted outside prison.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Ortega has been receiving treatment at the state’s mental hospital for several years. He blamed the rape on Ortega not taking his psychiatric medicines and drinking alcohol.

meanwhile Veterans all over the country are ignored and told that we can't afford to help them but we still can afford help for criminals who sneak across the border
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »
Huh.  My copy of DSM IV must be missing a chapter.  I missed the part about how mental illness turns one into a rapist.   [barf]

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
He blamed the rape on Ortega not taking his psychiatric medicines and drinking alcohol.

Here we go again.  "My car slid off the road."  (Not that you weren't going too fast for the conditions, but that the car was going too fast for the conditions.)

"I couldn't help it.  The idiot in front of me stopped short."

"I didn't see the car coming out of the intersection.  I was adjusting my radio."

"It wasn't my fault.  I wasn't taking my medications and I was drunk."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 06:10:29 AM »
So do we throw him in prison for 10 years (20 is more likely, if he lives that long) and then deport him, or does our stupid State Department deport him to Mexico right now? (so he can sneak back here next week)

Shoot him.

No, seriously.  Make forcible rape a capital offense.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »
Huh.  My copy of DSM IV must be missing a chapter.  I missed the part about how mental illness turns one into a rapist.   [barf]

My point was he's not mentally ill.  He's a rapist. His shrink was confusing one for the other and thinking they could medicate the rapist out.   

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »
My point was he's not mentally ill.  He's a rapist. His shrink was confusing one for the other and thinking they could medicate the rapist out.   

Yep. I was agreeing with you.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Yep. I was agreeing with you.

Doggone it - I was hoping for another fight!  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
...and I hereby order that you be taken immedietly from this courtroom to the courtyard in the rear of the Hall of Justice and there to be hanged by the neck until you are dead!......
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »
My point was he's not mentally ill.  He's a rapist.

Or a mentally-ill rapist, with immigration issues. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
Just another hard working family man doing the jobs Americans won't do.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
Just another hard working family man doing the jobs Americans won't do.

Dang it, I wanted to pound that one home!  [Upon re-reading and in light of the context, that is a little too punny and not at all funny.  Gah! <shudder>]

Dang it, I wanted to make that post!

Doggone it - I was hoping for another fight!  =D

In light of Balog's stealing my thunder, how's about I take offense for BW and sling some zingers his way?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »
The Supreme Court has said "no" to the death penalty for rape.   :mad:

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »

Rape of a little girl no less.
Look, tiny text!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
...and I hereby order that you be taken immedietly from this courtroom to the courtyard in the rear of the Hall of Justice and there to be hanged by the neck until you are dead!......

Works better if you hang him by the ankles until dead.  Bonus points if you hang him low enough to be a pinata.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
Works better if you hang him by the ankles until dead.  Bonus points if you hang him low enough to be a pinata savaged by rabid wiener dogs.

I always thought of that as a particularly bad way to go.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »

Yes, but in Oklahoma at least (and probably other states) rape justifies the use of deadly force.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
I am I the only one that caught this and was appalled at it's implication
“You will be deported at the earliest opportunity and will never return to this country again, except lawfully,” Flanagan said.

Why the BLANKETY BLANK BLANK BLANK would we ever consider allowing anyone that was convicted of a violent felony to be allowed into the country lawfully. 
 :facepalm:  Shot of whiskey while dancing two forms of dance.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
Yes, but in Oklahoma at least (and probably other states) rape justifies the use of deadly force.

Texas too.