Author Topic: Why can't movie production companies hire firearms advisors?  (Read 7449 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Why can't movie production companies hire firearms advisors?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
If you know much of anything about Any Particular Subject, you will notice that the movies almost always get it wrong  ;/

Yep pretty much.  For example most musicians cringe whenever they see people "playing" musical instruments on screen. Also, most "conductors" on screen are pretty laughable too. 

I think the problem is that to get things completely authentic you need a technical advisor at every single step of the production process. It may not add much to the cost of a movie to have a couple more consultants, but it costs a lot of money having a know-it-all step in to correct things every step of the way.  This could really slow down a very tight schedule.  And when costs are in the thousands of dollars an hour range, details necessarily get overlooked.

Whenever I go to see a movie I try to turn off my inner Cliff Clavin and just let my suspension of disbelief take over. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
If you know much of anything about Any Particular Subject, you will notice that the movies almost always get it wrong  ;/

Which is the main reason I don't normally watch submarine movies.

I do like Up Periscope though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
It shouldn't take a weapons expert to point out to some of these directors that standing in a circle around the target, with guns drawn, is inconvenient at best.

I can now say that Ultraviolet is the worst offender in this regard. But one must endure the first half hour of the film to understood just how badly they screw that up. 

http://www.hulu.com/watch/172559/ultraviolet
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:32:59 AM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »
I think the problem is that to get things completely authentic you need a technical advisor at every single step of the production process. It may not add much to the cost of a movie to have a couple more consultants, but it costs a lot of money having a know-it-all step in to correct things every step of the way.  This could really slow down a very tight schedule.  And when costs are in the thousands of dollars an hour range, details necessarily get overlooked.

I get what you're saying, but it sure seems like in a room full of actors, staff, set people etc. SOMEONE should be equipped with the common sense to tell CSI that a 22.5" bus tire, being driven to destruction at high speed, does not go "pfft" when it fails... it sounds like a 12ga and can send rubber bits far and fast enough to penetrate your lab coat or knock your safety glasses off :P Ask me how I know.

Or to the firearms angle, isn't there SOMEBODY in the cast or crew who has fired a Glock or 1911 and knows a little about strikers and hammers?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
It shouldn't take a weapons expert to point out to some of these directors that standing in a circle around the target, with guns drawn, is inconvenient at best.

I can now say that Ultraviolet is the worst offender in this regard. But one must endure the first half hour of the film to understood just how badly they screw that up. 

http://www.hulu.com/watch/172559/ultraviolet

At least Ultraviolet makes no claims or attempts at being anywhere near realistic.
Look, tiny text!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
As do most news shows.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
As do most news shows.

Too true  =(

Is there some sort of process in journalism schools that sucks any possible particle of practical knowledge out of the students' brains  ???

Or are journalists from an alien planet and grew up without any local knowledge of life here on earth...?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »
Journalism is one of those fields young people go into because they can't design a widget, write a computer code, argue a legal case, diagnose a cold, fix a motor, or replace a faucet. If they didn't go into journalism, they'd have to become cops. ;)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
Journalism is one of those fields young people go into because they can't design a widget, write a computer code, argue a legal case, diagnose a cold, fix a motor, or replace a faucet. If they didn't go into journalism, they'd have to become cops. ;)
I don't know how to do any of those. I am also too honest to be a journalist. :P =| =(
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
Or publik skool teechurs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
Journalism is one of those fields young people go into because they can't design a widget, write a computer code, argue a legal case, diagnose a cold, fix a motor, or replace a faucet. If they didn't go into journalism, they'd have to become cops politicians. ;)

Fixed for reality....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
At least Ultraviolet makes no claims or attempts at being anywhere near realistic.

Let's hope it also makes no claims to being a good flick.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
Because safe firearms handling is boring onscreen.  Simple as that.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »

Or to the firearms angle, isn't there SOMEBODY in the cast or crew who has fired a Glock or 1911 and knows a little about strikers and hammers?

Even if there was, would they be able to bend the ear of a producer or a director/assistant director?

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour